996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

about to purchase 2000 911 with nav. want to upgrade to double din..parts needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
about to purchase 2000 911 with nav. want to upgrade to double din..parts needed?

I am about to purchase a 2000 porsche 911 with 55k miles. It has factory nav.

I want to upgrade the strero to a double din. What parts are needed to do the upgrade?

Thank you!!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
There may be more to it than that. Does it have PCM? If so, you will be losing control of those functions. Otherwise wherever you get the new system should have everything you may need (new bezel, wiring harness, possible mounting brackets...).

Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
There is a double din kit on ebay for like $150.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 PM
yo_clarkie is on a distinguished road
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-PORSCH...item33842cf315

Is the kit you need.

http://www.salectronics.com/shopdisp...=In%2DDash+GPS is a good source of head units

If you want to add an amp, then the Kenwood XR5S is the same size as the CD changer and fits in the same spot
http://www.salectronics.com/shopexd.asp?id=1528

Lots of blogs and posts on the how to all over the place including here.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by denversteve
There may be more to it than that. Does it have PCM? If so, you will be losing control of those functions. Otherwise wherever you get the new system should have everything you may need (new bezel, wiring harness, possible mounting brackets...).
Why would you lose control of PCM?
They have it wired through the nav system? Also you could always just rip through second gear to turn it off i guess, a bit dumb but works i guess.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
New aftermarket systems will replace all of the PCM functions.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NineEreven
Why would you lose control of PCM?
They have it wired through the nav system? Also you could always just rip through second gear to turn it off i guess, a bit dumb but works i guess.
Because the PCM/Nav has car function controls that - in the past - were not available on aftermarket parts. Dennis says some new ones have that so I would ask him for specific suggestions on what to use. The only people I see with major electrical or functional problems are those who have changed electrical components on their cars. That's why I leave everything alone and just drive the car. However, if there is a double-din system that will replace all of the PCM functions I too would like to know which one(s) would work. After you change yours, and have no issues for a while, I might consider doing the same in my Carrera. That would be the only way for me to get new mapping.

Last edited by denversteve; 10-19-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
chomper129 is on a distinguished road
I would highly recommend getting the kit on ebay. Well worth the $150. It comes with the harness all wired up so it's pretty much plug and play.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
yep i bought the kit!