996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Repairing paint chips in metallic paint.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Repairing paint chips in metallic paint.

My car is a daily driver and I am getting small chips in the paint. Since my car is metallic it is more difficult to fix. I have ordered some paint pens to see if they are any good.

Do any of you have some suggestions?

Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Get a clear bra installed, then you won't have to worry about chips anymore.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Who makes the best clear bra products? Do they fade or dull the finish?

Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
true but only to an extent...I have come to learn that paint chips are unavoidable...I got the clear bra installed the day I received the car (literally) and still manage to get stone chips where there is no film eg. on one fender and on the hood right where the film ends...

Old 12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch msindi, that just sucks.

Yes, a clear bra is not the end all be all to stop chips, but it helps. I know it's saved me a few times following cars and trucks on freeways with dirt on the road. I can hear the rocks kick up in the tire well and even hitting the windshield, but the bumper and fenders stayed chip-less.

greyghost I have a seal gray C2 like yours and have X-Pel installed. So far no chips and I've even tracked the car once.

You can see picks on the install on the hobbystage link below.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:10 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
How about a real bra?
I throw mine on in 2 minutes if I'm headed out on the highways.
Be careful not to go over 145 mph with it.
Ciao

Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2003, 07:39 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
If you get a bra, I'd spend the money and get the Speed Lingerie bra - it's color matched to the car.

Old 12-04-2003, 10:27 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i have full clear bra installed on my car. so far i'm happy with it. but i got a chip on the roof. thank god that's a small one!

Old 12-05-2003, 05:10 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by Stuttgart, The body shop that does all of Champions work. DO NOT get the clear bra. The older it gets the more noticable it gets. Anywhere you apply it on metal, If you try to remove it, it could tear the paint right off the metal. Another thing to consider is that most body shops will re-paint your front bumper, and fill in the chips for around $350.00 I believe that clear bra's are over 400.00 installed.