996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sound system upgrade ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM
dohc is on a distinguished road
Smile Sound system upgrade ???

Hi !

Anybody upgraded their sound system and any suggestions please ? If I keep the stock head unit, which cd changer should work with it ?

Thanks in advance !

DOHC

Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
I got a factory CD changer I will sell.

if you want to upgrade the system, add an amplifier, two subwoofers, new speakers all around.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I upgraded mine (2000 C4 cab) and kept the stock head unit (Becker CDR220). I used Focal 100KP for the dash, this is a component systems, with 4.25: mids and separate tweeters, mounts fairly cleanly in the stock holders, you have to cut the frames of the original speakers (mids) to use as brackets for the new Focals, the twetters repl;ace the existing tweeters, whcih are glued in place. I used silicone to hold them in place. You will need to do some work with a dremel tool to make everything fit. Also, run new wires as the OEM uses one set and the Focals have a crossover and two sets of wires. Splice in at the amp output if you have Hi-Fi option. For the doors (again assuming you have the Hi-Fi option) the best is the Focal 5WS, 5.25" subs. I used a set of 5.25" mids from a set of Focal 136KP's, but the 5ws are better subs. You are limited on base with this small a sub. the rears are mostly in fill, but you could also use 100KP's. Even without a upgraded amp (which I will be addingi soon) the upgrade sound much better than stock. Go on Rennlist.com and Renntech.org and do searches. There are many many threads with in-depth discussions of upgrades. Also, the best (i.e. cheapest source I have found for Focals is: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/vipmobileonline/17.html

Good luck, let me know if I can be of help.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
dohc is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thank you Dharn55 !

Im going to my local sound dealer and see what he has to offer...And Brucem, where r u located and how much r u asking for ur cd changer...please pm me !

One happy owner...DOHC

Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
i live in Seattle WA...

I have a friend that has a very high end shop in AZ is you are located near there

Old 04-30-2006, 01:18 PM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
I have the Bose premium sound package. I changed the head unit to an Alpine and it sounds really good. I don't listen to much any more though. Not since I installed the headers and the sport exhaust!!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:03 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I have to say something here. I don't know where you are but you need to talk to Rick Reus at www.reusadio.com. His systems are the best and he has done 1000's of 996s. I went through the same thing you are doing. Going to the local high end stores asking what should be done. Some had actually done a 996 before, butnone had the experience that Rick has. He has multiple systems for 996s and he KNOWS how it is gonna sound. No guess work. He goes all around the country doing installs. If you want to call me, drop me an email and I'll shoot you my #. Good luck.

I just checked and his server is down. His # is 18002768865 in CA.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 05-03-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John Romano
I have the Bose premium sound package. I changed the head unit to an Alpine and it sounds really good. I don't listen to much any more though. Not since I installed the headers and the sport exhaust!!

how did you do that? i didn't think it was possible to change anything out with the Bose setup without replacing everything.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Best sound upgrade for you: PSE.

I have the factory bose/CD/etc and PSE that I ordered on the C4S Cab. Turn off the Becker unit, roll down your windows. Enjoy the sound.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
viper501 is on a distinguished road
I started out just wanting to integrate my XM with my head unit. I ended up replacing the head unit with an Alpine, ditched the POS factory amp and replaced it with a JL 300/4 and will be installing a JL 250/1 to handle a sub (once I decide how and where I want the sub ). The front dash and door speakers were yanked and replaced with a component Focal 5.25". The tweeters are in the dash location previously used by the factory under the factory grills. The 5.25 mids are in the factory location in the doors. Fill is provided by an inexpensive pair of coaxial 4" Boston's in factory location beside the back seat.

I finally got a nice mount fabricated for the JL 300/4 and will be working on the mount for the 250/1 in the next couple weeks. Overall, there are some minor issues to resolve, such as the placement of a sub, but I'm very pleased with it. A lot cleaner sound plus I have the seamless integration of an i-pod and my XM radio.

If I were to do it over again, I might change the Focals to a 'new' system they have with a pair of tweeters, a pair of 4 inch mid's and a 5.25 with a cross-over. The tweets would be in the same spot on the dash but I'd also add in the 4" mids in the dash. The 5.25's would go in the same position in the doors. I'd probably use a pair of JL 6w0's in the factory spots next to the back seats to provide the bass, eliminating the need for an enclosure. The 6w0's won't give you the bass of a 10 or 12 but they are nice and tight and don't take up a ton of space/weight.

Just my .02. Its kinda like speed, depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
There is a company that puts a JL 10" sub enclosure in the same location as the Bose subwoofer for the cabs in the footwell and looks factory, takes up no more space than than Bose sub and hits alot harder and cleaner....I am thinking about this unit....

Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 PM
viper501 is on a distinguished road
I think I've seen that unit. If it is the one I'm thinking of though it is screwed into the floorboard, obviously a less than ideal installation method. What I wish JL would make is one of their "stealth" subs for our cars. (BTW Newport, the hardtop keeps throwing me off and making me think you've got a coupe. Looks nice though, esp. lowered.) I would think that the 6w0's beside the back seats would be perfect for your cab. While it won't thump quite like a 10, they have remarkably tight bass. Plus you wouldnt drill through the floor for mounting. Another more expensive option would be to fab an enclosure extending and enlarging the center console and dividing the back seats down the hump. Depending on how creative the fabricator was you might be able to get an 8 or 10 into it.