996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 PM
crapking is on a distinguished road
Has this happened to you?

Ok...I have had the car 2 weeks so I am getting used to it. (so this may be a stupid question) It is late so its dark. I have my nephew in the car and am showing off a bit. We are at a dead stop. I raise up the RPM's to about 5k and open up the clutch...didnt drop it. I was ready for a roller coaster ride but instead we were crawling and hardly going anywhere. (RPM's stayed high) I could not see if there was white smoke (burnout) as it was dark. When I was in first I just assumed that I was majorly spinning the tires...shifted to 2nd and the same thing...hign RPM's but not really going anywhere (fast) so I laid off and then all was cool. When I got to his house about 4 blocks away it really smelled like brakes. You know like when you have REALLY been braking. (or hell mabye it was clutch) Hmmm. Car shifts great and (at least for the 2 weeks that I have owned it) is quick. I had my porsche mech look at it and drive it too and he said all seemed great. When I left his house I went through the gears really quick and all was good. Any ideas guys??? I am curious and stumped.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
You may need a clutch....

Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
You "cooked" the cluth for a bit. I have done this in different Porsches. Don't make it a habbit to take off like that.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
You "cooked" the cluth for a bit. I have done this in different Porsches. Don't make it a habbit to take off like that.
So you think it will be ok if I did it once? Assuming the previous owner was not an idiot like me!! haha

Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crapking
So you think it will be ok if I did it once? Assuming the previous owner was not an idiot like me!! haha
I think youll be fine.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it's the clutch....... You'll find that these are not "off the line" straight line shooters and they suck out of the box. If you want to take off quickly make sure you're already doing 80+

Most other vehicles can't take off at 80+ as you can. If you'd like to have something that will jump out of the box you got the wrong car....

-Eli

Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Gcookie is on a distinguished road
My son tried to start in third gear same thing happen, car went no where. Everything is OK, but it smell bad for a couple of days. Sure you got the right gears?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Imolas54 is an unknown quantity at this point
ahh nothing like the smell of burnt clutch

Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gcookie
My son tried to start in third gear same thing happen, car went no where. Everything is OK, but it smell bad for a couple of days. Sure you got the right gears?
That could have been it....cause it is driving just fine today. It did smell today abit. Not to bad though.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
It's the smell of MONEY burning away.......

-Eli

Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Miykl is on a distinguished road
Made the same mistake when I first got my car. Had me worried and paranoid for a good while. After some searches on this forum and others I found that it is very common if trying to "drag launch" these cars. They just plain have more tire than clutch. I've gone 10k miles since then with no slipping issues. You should be fine.

oh... if you feel the need to spin the tires, give her a lil clutch and gas mid corner. Be ready to learn the finer art of drifting! ...not that I've ever done such a thing....

Last edited by Miykl; 08-10-2006 at 09:26 AM.