997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mp3 CD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Mishal is on a distinguished road
Mp3 CD

On my 07 TT, I have issues playing MP3 CD's - I burn them in iTunes as an "MP3 CD" but the car has issues in recognizing it - it just doesnt read the CD

Is this a common problem? I use a Mac, perhaps this is why?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
You cannot burn songs you purchased from iTunes to an MP3 CD. It is copy protected and will not burn them. You can only burn songs as MP3s that you ripped from your own CDs through iTunes. There is a new program on the web that will convert your iTunes purchased music into a format that you can do anything with them. But you lose about 5% sound quality. It is called Double Twist. I have not tried it but in principle it should work. It just rips your iTunes music to a new file and then burns them back to your disk as if you had done it from your own CD. It just saves you the extra step.

The funny thing is that iTunes won't even tell you. For example, if you have a mixture of your own ripped songs and those purchased from iTunes, it will burn your own ripped songs but just skip the iTunes purchased music.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-25-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Double twist and QTFAiruse are both Windows programs and won't work on your Mac..Yet.

Barrister is correct..if you are attempting to play protected media on your cd, you're out of luck

mike

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
mikegee is correct. Double Twist is currently Windows only.

You can burn any of your iTunes purchased music as a CD Audio track - but not as an MP3. That is the difference between 20 songs on a CD as CD Audio and 200 as MP3s.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
MJS NYC is on a distinguished road
You can run Windows in Parallels and the use the shared folder to transfer b/w PC and Mac. Works perfectly for me.

Alternatively, certain songs are DRM free on itunes, for $1.49 as opposed to $0.99.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
drm

Plus, Itunes store will convert your drm files ( read exchange) for drm free if : 1. you bought the protected song from them, and 2. as mentioned above, if they have the drm free version on the site. all for a fee of course.

DRM is on its way out. most say within 3 months Apple will bail on ALL drm audio, but retain protection for its video.

Mike

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Texas911 is on a distinguished road
The songs you buy from the iTunes store are in the ACC format, which is sonically better than mp3 for a given bit-rate, and is also copy protected. One way around it is to burn an audio CD of the ACC file then rip it back in iTunes.

This is why we're all clamoring for a real iPod connection from Porsche so we can just plug in our iPods, which play ACC, wma and mp3, and listen to our music.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Hey Guys

Thanks - here is the latest update:

The files were mp3's (I don't buy songs off itunes - I buy CD's and burn them at 320 kbps for the best mp3 sound quality) - here is where the problem occured:

The PCM cannot play organized mp3 files - by this, I mean that if you use itunes to burn an mp3 CD, when you make a play list, if you sort by album, artist, genre etc, it will not play on the Porsche Bose system. This layers the disc (creates folders for artist, album etc which cannot be read by low end MP3 CD players - I'm surprised the Bose system falls under this category) -

The solution to this is to sort randomly (the first column in itunes, the numbers) - through this, you are able to play mp3 CD's on your PCM.
If you still want it organized by artist, for example, here is a solution. Create one playlist, and organize by Artist. Then, drag those files into a new playlist - this will take the play order of the previous list, but will not have sorted by album or artist (it will be organized on the left most column, the numbers), then burn as mp3 CD

A bit confusing, but hope it helps. I tried and tested this method to verify

Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Also, please see my thread about the iPod solution for the PCM:

Here is the thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=119912