997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Took my Switzer 997TT tip to the Dragstrip Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
VBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud of
Took my Switzer 997TT tip to the Dragstrip Today

So at the last minute I decided to drive the 90 miles to the Beechbend Dragstrip in Bowling Green, KY and run my SPI 997TT tip. This was the last day for the public to run their cars until March of next year. It was cloudy all day and the temperatures were in the high 20s and low 30s, not really ideal. I weighed the car there without a driver and gas at 40% full, and it was 3568 pounds.

This was my first time ever to a dragstrip and it was very busy. I only got like 4 runs in 6 hours. I definitely do not have the patience to endure that again anytime soon. Overall I was satisfied with my performance, although I definitely could use some more practice and experience at the dragstrip. The 997TT tip power launch is a bit tricky to get perfect, and at the strip of course you are rushed.

Best run of the day was a 10.666@132.65mph

I had the Driftbox in the car with the 1 foot rollout enabled and it was pretty much dead on with every run. On my best run the Driftbox display said 10.7@133mph, after checking the graph, more accurately the Driftbox got 10.67@132.94mph. I definitely feel like this time could be improved with a better launch. I was unable to launch as well as I have in the past on the street. The car definitely has 10.40s in it. The good thing is, I have proven to myself that the E.T. is extremely accurate between the strip and the Driftbox. The trapspeeds are calculated differently, so some difference there is to be expected.

There was some very fast cars/bikes running there, and a lot of purpose built drag cars. A C6 Z06 was there and ran 11.60s, and a turbo Hayabusa I saw ran like 8.80s. There was a couple accidents, but no serious injuries. I didnt get to see very many runs due to being stuck in the staging lines forever and not wanting to get out of the car with the weather being very cold. Several people asked me about my car, wanting to know if it was stock or what I had done to it. Overall everyone was really nice and I thought the track was run fairly well. Best thing is, I didnt get hassled for not wearing a helmet or all that other safety stuff even though I was running 10s.

The car performed very well and I was able to drive it back home just fine. I continue to be very satisfied with this package. For the majority of owners looking to do some upgrades, this is a great intermediate package that does not sacrifice the everyday driveability of the 997TT. Easy to drive fast and easy to drive slow. Dollar for dollar this is easily my favorite car, it just does it all.

Below is a picture of the time slip from todays run, as well as the Driftbox graph of the same run.

Aaron

Attached Images    
Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
wow, nice runs!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Great job, Aaron! That TIP car seems like the perfect, fast daily-driver.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Wow!,nice times and you have a very nice collection of toys!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
That TIP car seems like the perfect, fast daily-driver.
Indeed.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Congrads...nice run...good time...no one esle done 10.66 in 1/4 with VTG package so far )))

Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Wow, fantastic !!!

MK

Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
That's awesome, and ditto on you stable. Impressive.

Does the Driftbox tell you an "implied" horsepower from your runs? I'd be curious to see how that compares to dynos and/or the tuner's estimates.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Just curious, but what did you have to do to the transmission to get it to handle 750HP?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Congrats on the great time and trap speed, Aaron!!

Well done!!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Holy crap nice run!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Are you planing on tracking the car on a road course. If you have already, how did it pro-form on the track? Very nice 1/4mile time. I still can't get over the 0 - 60 runs at 2.7 sec.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by acicchelli
So at the last minute I decided to drive the 90 miles to the Beechbend Dragstrip in Bowling Green, KY and run my SPI 997TT tip. This was the last day for the public to run their cars until March of next year. It was cloudy all day and the temperatures were in the high 20s and low 30s, not really ideal. I weighed the car there without a driver and gas at 40% full, and it was 3568 pounds.

This was my first time ever to a dragstrip and it was very busy. I only got like 4 runs in 6 hours. I definitely do not have the patience to endure that again anytime soon. Overall I was satisfied with my performance, although I definitely could use some more practice and experience at the dragstrip. The 997TT tip power launch is a bit tricky to get perfect, and at the strip of course you are rushed.

Best run of the day was a 10.666@132.65mph

I had the Driftbox in the car with the 1 foot rollout enabled and it was pretty much dead on with every run. On my best run the Driftbox display said 10.7@133mph, after checking the graph, more accurately the Driftbox got 10.67@132.94mph. I definitely feel like this time could be improved with a better launch. I was unable to launch as well as I have in the past on the street. The car definitely has 10.40s in it. The good thing is, I have proven to myself that the E.T. is extremely accurate between the strip and the Driftbox. The trapspeeds are calculated differently, so some difference there is to be expected.

There was some very fast cars/bikes running there, and a lot of purpose built drag cars. A C6 Z06 was there and ran 11.60s, and a turbo Hayabusa I saw ran like 8.80s. There was a couple accidents, but no serious injuries. I didnt get to see very many runs due to being stuck in the staging lines forever and not wanting to get out of the car with the weather being very cold. Several people asked me about my car, wanting to know if it was stock or what I had done to it. Overall everyone was really nice and I thought the track was run fairly well. Best thing is, I didnt get hassled for not wearing a helmet or all that other safety stuff even though I was running 10s.

The car performed very well and I was able to drive it back home just fine. I continue to be very satisfied with this package. For the majority of owners looking to do some upgrades, this is a great intermediate package that does not sacrifice the everyday driveability of the 997TT. Easy to drive fast and easy to drive slow. Dollar for dollar this is easily my favorite car, it just does it all.

Below is a picture of the time slip from todays run, as well as the Driftbox graph of the same run.

Aaron
Congratulations!!!

Is that with stock rims/tires?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Where is those Euro members who always talking **** on U.S tuners!!!

Techart has upgraded VTG's with aftermarket cams bla bla bla ran 10.8..I wonder what is the cost of that techart kit LOL

Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
WOW great job!!! post some pics of the car when you have a chance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took my Switzer 997TT tip to the Dragstrip Today