997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Turbo vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EtherSpill
Equip the Turbo with the optional Cup tires, and the handling edge likely goes to the P-Car.

Ditto, the GT-R needs R-comp level grip to compete with the 997.2 Turbo on plain Potenzas.

There has still been NO data to refute that the Dunlops are faster than R888's, which has been shown on occasion, at the very least as fast. That means faster than even Porsche spec Sport Cups which are only a glorified PS2.

The tire has so much grip which is why the GT-R's braking was so good. However the Turbo still burned it from a dig in the 0-60. And almost 2 seconds faster in 0-200 kph. A good tire on the Turbo and it's bye bye big bird.

The Turbo raped it in every other category but trunk space. And subjective opinions at a ball of laughs, who cares.

The Turbo is better and faster and this test proves it. End of thread.

Bye!

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-27-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
Better handling:

GTR vs 997.2 Turbo
Track - 1:36.5 vs 1:36.9
18m Slalom - 69.8kph vs 68.8kph
Braking for 100kph (cold) - 34.2m vs 34.9m
Braking from 100kph (warm) - 32.9m vs 33.4m

Self ownage. Want to guess which is the only car in this comparison on tires that are equal to R888's.

Still think the GT-R is better handling? Without those tires it would have been near last place. Even with the Bridgestones, which are still faster than all the other tires in the test.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
I predict 68 pages 85% heavycheavy posts HAhaa

Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
the numbers are very close ... but look at it price wise

Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by usccayman
i consider a 914 more diserable.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Self ownage. Want to guess which is the only car in this comparison on tires that are equal to R888's.

Still think the GT-R is better handling? Without those tires it would have been near last place. Even with the Bridgestones, which are still faster than all the other tires in the test.
I'd have thought that with massively more straightline speed the Turbo would have been able to overcome any tyre discrepancies. Not the same old arguments again hc? I thought the GTR won last time because it combined AWD with dual clutch? Maybe the driver was drifting too much in the 997?

Equip the Turbo with the optional Cup tires, and the handling edge likely goes to the P-Car.
Take away the temporary operation of the Sport Chrono and track times go back to the GTR anyway, Cup tyres or otherwise. Good straightline speed though.

Add a Cobb AP to the GTR and it's game over for the 997.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
in about 2 months you will see 'the forum wars' on speed channel where a gtr races a turbo, so all you can finaly see the two cars in the same place/time. hopefuly that will help you guys in getting a definit answer...

anyways i'm tired, just got back from smacking around a s2k and a subaru sti in the mtn roads in my SMARTcar....gota get some rest...yawn

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 11-28-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Turbo997 is on a distinguished road
The gtr is a nice car when in puberty, otherwise is just lags style!

Old 11-28-2009, 05:42 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
in about 2 months you will see 'the forum wars' on speed channel where a gtr races a turbo, so all you can finaly see the two cars in the same place/time. hopefuly that will help you guys in getting a definit answer...

anyways i'm tired, just got back from smacking around a s2k and a subaru sti in the mtn roads in my SMARTcar....gota get some rest...yawn
We already have a definite answer, it's just that some don't want to accept it.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
i had a great time trying to making sense of the words

Can't wait to get a dual-clutch transmission car so when people ask I can say doppelkupplung

Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 AM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Heavy talks about the GTR tyres like they are aftermarket slicks. If the Turbos tires are so much worse than the GTR why does the car cost $60,000 more?

Either way you slice it, the GTR is AT LEAST 98% the car the turbo is, at 58% the price.

That is a disgrace.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by BD-
I'd have thought that with massively more straightline speed the Turbo would have been able to overcome any tyre discrepancies. Not the same old arguments again hc? I thought the GTR won last time because it combined AWD with dual clutch? Maybe the driver was drifting too much in the 997?

Take away the temporary operation of the Sport Chrono and track times go back to the GTR anyway, Cup tyres or otherwise. Good straightline speed though.

It's a 1 nearly 1minute 40 second lap, the tires on the GT-R have shown to be 3 seconds faster than just the regular bridgestones in such conditionos, which have been proven to be faster than most other street tires you can buy for the GT-R. you do the math, the GT-R get's crushed if they are on anything near the similar tire. PERIOD.

Your excuse is very lame.

Cobb AP? HAHAHA even with a Cobb AP, put them on the same tires and the Turbo wins. Are you really resorting to modding the GT-R?
How pathetic...........

Originally Posted by kp117
Heavy talks about the GTR tyres like they are aftermarket slicks. If the Turbos tires are so much worse than the GTR why does the car cost $60,000 more?

Either way you slice it, the GTR is AT LEAST 98% the car the turbo is, at 58% the price.

That is a disgrace.
So now the measure of a cars MSRP should be who has the fastest tires on their car? Are you really thinking about what you're typing? All kinds of exotic cars come with regular street tires. That has nothing to do with MSRP.

And by what math do you come up with 98% of the Turbo the GT-R is? At least you've accepted the inferiority, no matter by how much.

Those straws are getting harder to reach for huh?

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-28-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 AM
EtherSpill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BD-

Take away the temporary operation of the Sport Chrono and track times go back to the GTR anyway,
Highly doubtful. What's far more likely to degrade performance is the temporary operation of the GTR's transmission / tires. But it's cute that you're suggesting the Porsche is a one-lap wonder compared to the GTR. Oh, and ironic.

Originally Posted by BD-

Right, because a 911 Turbo can't be modified.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 AM
BD-
Banned

It's a 1 nearly 1minute 40 second lap, the tires on the GT-R have shown to be 3 seconds faster than just the regular bridgestones in such conditionos,
BS. If it were so easy, surely Porsche would simply follow suit? BS and you know it. By that logic the 2010 GTR would be about 4-5s/minute quicker than the '08 GTR on Bridgestones. Don't make me laugh.

which have been proven to be faster than most other street tires you can buy for the GT-R. you do the math, the GT-R get's crushed if they are on anything near the similar tire. PERIOD.
Sure it does. So even with 600hp, which the 997.2 tested must have had to be getting from 60-100mph in 3.6s, the 997.2 still falls short.

Your excuse is very lame.
I'm not making excuses. The GTR won. Excuses are the pastime of losers. More of an occupation in your case.

Cobb AP? HAHAHA even with a Cobb AP, put them on the same tires and the Turbo wins. Are you really resorting to modding the GT-R?
How pathetic...........

It doesn't need to be modded to beat a 997.2 on track. That's been shown relentlessly for 2 years. I was thinking about straightline speed, the one time it's an advantage to have the engine in the back. Fixing straightline speed is easy. Fixing flawed handling isn't. When will you and Porsche admit that the basic design of the 911 chassis is out-dated and flawed? Sure they've made the best of it but the time has come to move on and either switch to a proper MR layout or move to transaxle FR. That's the only way you'll win.

So now the measure of a cars MSRP should be who has the fastest tires on their car? Are you really thinking about what you're typing? All kinds of exotic cars come with regular street tires. That has nothing to do with MSRP.
Yeah, carry on supplying them with tyres you claim are inferior, that way you can always pull a figure like 3s/min out of the air (or somewhere less pleasant) and use it as an excuse. Just think Porsche went to all this trouble with the 997.2 to make up what must be 1.5s/minute in track pace when all they had to do was fit different tyres to a 997.1 to make 3s/min, which by your figure would put them at 7:1X 'ring pace. You can't make this stuff up. Keep it coming chevy.

And by what math do you come up with 98% of the Turbo the GT-R is? At least you've accepted the inferiority, no matter by how much.
I dunno but it wasn't the same math you used to come up with 3s/min.

Originally Posted by The Scarecrow
Those straws are getting harder to reach for huh?
Oh the irony.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Highly doubtful. What's far more likely to degrade performance is the temporary operation of the GTR's transmission / tires. But it's cute that you're suggesting the Porsche is a one-lap wonder compared to the GTR. Oh, and ironic.

Right, because a 911 Turbo can't be modified.
That's why I suggested a test in which each car is driven hard for a couple of hours. I guess the testers don't want to run the risk of deystroying a car loaned to them. I can imagine some of the manufacturers (maybe just one) know(s) this and is glad they don't run such a test.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo vs GTR