997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70

Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 PM
rare will become famous soon enough
Do the exact same thread for a tiptronic transmission service and i'll forever be in your debt.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
boxingsfinest is on a distinguished road
thanks for the DIY, great site...

Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
You don't need a lift, but somehow, you need to be able to get under the car. I used ramps, but you could get away with a jack and stand. Once the car is up, on a scale of 1-10 in difficulty, this is about a 3 (only because you can strip the bolt if you over tighten, or damage the oil tank if you don't counter torque.
Just for clarification, do you jack up one side and put something (like a rhino ramp) under one of the rear tires? I don't want to drive onto the rhino ramps I'm going to get (on sale this week!) and was just thinking of jacking up one side and slipping it onto a ramp, will this work? passenger or driver's side?
thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'm not exactly sure what you are describing.

To change the oil, you need to access both drain bolts. Even on a stock OEM 997TT suspension, it is a very tight squeeze under there.

You could drive your car onto ramps (ie put both ramps behind the rear tires, back up the car to lift the rear, then put chocks behind each tire) or you could jack up the car from the engine, and place jack stands in the proper lift points.

If you jack up one side and put a rhino ramp under one of the rear tires, the car is not stable. If you jack up one side with just the jack, the car is not stable without the stand.

If you want to use a jack, jack from the engine block then place stands in the appropriate points (with chocks in the front.)

I hope that helps.

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 01-27-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Be careful if you jack from the back because you could touch down your chin spoiler in the front, depending how low your car is.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
I usually just jack up the car from rear jacking points on both sides then place 2 jack stands on the chassis beam or whatever you call it. after I remove both tank and crank case drain plugs, I put lower the car back to the ground to let oil drain for another 30 minutes or so while I change out the oil filter. Then jack the car up again, put on jack stands and put the drain plugs back on.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
boxingsfinest is on a distinguished road
Can somebody please point out where exactly on the engine block they jack up from.

Thanks all.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
You could drive your car onto ramps

bob
What brand ramps? Link?

(I built a set of wooden ramps but they are so long and heavy to be practically unmanageable.)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JG GT500
What brand ramps? Link?

(I built a set of wooden ramps but they are so long and heavy to be practically unmanageable.)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-pricing.html

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Bob that helps a lot! I was wondering if it would be stable enough with just one ramp under one side of the car (or just the jack on one side) but obviously not.

I like your idea of lifting via the engine block, putting the ramps under both rear tires (with chocks up front), and lowering the jack onto the ramps. The reason I prefer this is b/c then I don't need someone else guiding me onto the ramps unlike if I drive on them and I'm not sure the rhino ramps have a long enough gradual incline to avoid scraping the nose. They are MUCH cheaper than the ones in your picture.

If you have another picture from underneath showing exactly where you have the jack please post it.

You rock!

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing.

To change the oil, you need to access both drain bolts. Even on a stock OEM 997TT suspension, it is a very tight squeeze under there.

You could drive your car onto ramps (ie put both ramps behind the rear tires, back up the car to lift the rear, then put chocks behind each tire) or you could jack up the car from the engine, and place jack stands in the proper lift points.

If you jack up one side and put a rhino ramp under one of the rear tires, the car is not stable. If you jack up one side with just the jack, the car is not stable without the stand.

If you want to use a jack, jack from the engine block then place stands in the appropriate points (with chocks in the front.)

I hope that helps.

bob

Last edited by The Bogg; 01-28-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Abby997TT
I usually just jack up the car from rear jacking points on both sides then place 2 jack stands on the chassis beam or whatever you call it. after I remove both tank and crank case drain plugs, I put lower the car back to the ground to let oil drain for another 30 minutes or so while I change out the oil filter. Then jack the car up again, put on jack stands and put the drain plugs back on.
Thanks Abby, this will be my fallback position (if I buy another jack). What is the chassis beam you are referring to?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Skeeter - good link. I also bought an extender because my 997TT was dropped to GT3 height.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
If you have another picture from underneath showing exactly where you have the jack please post it.

You rock!
Sure! (Just don't forget to use a wood block or hockey puck to prevent damaging the casing...pics are not me - other people don't use a puck, but I don't like lifting without it.)

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Thanks Abby, this will be my fallback position (if I buy another jack). What is the chassis beam you are referring to?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Bogg, That's the beam I was talking about. Thanks Bob!
I only have 1 jack and I jack from one side then move to another side.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Abby997TT
Bogg, That's the beam I was talking about. Thanks Bob!
I only have 1 jack and I jack from one side then move to another side.
Ah, so I don't actually need a second jack. I'll just get the chocks then, who wants to chase a rolling turbo down the street?

Are the axle stands on the lowest setting? Looks like it in that picture.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70