997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Problems pumping gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
My previous BMW also had the same issue. I was at a point that I just ignored the CEL and waited for the schedule maintenance to have it reset. It was always recorded as a loose gas cap and we have already been very careful with putting the cap back on.

Originally Posted by MK23
The 3/4 tank isn't a safety issue, but having a gallon of gas spill down the side of the tank, over the paint and on to your shoes (as happened to me) is!

Maybe hopefully for you, you will not learn the magic of the the check engine light (CEL). I've owned my car 2 months and it's come on and off 3 times. My previous Mercedes had chronic CEL issues. Seems all the new fancy computer controlled ignition and emissions controls end up causing a lot of problems!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by llngoc
My previous BMW also had the same issue. I was at a point that I just ignored the CEL and waited for the schedule maintenance to have it reset. It was always recorded as a loose gas cap and we have already been very careful with putting the cap back on.
Thanks llngoc...check out the new thread that I started last night regarding the CEL !! What a pain...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 AM
jwp98 is on a distinguished road
I had the weird spill thing just once. No gas would go in, not an ounce. Not even excess above the valve. Some sort of weird vapor lock. Embarrassing and smelly. I should try the upside down pumping. We don't have vapor recovery yet here in the boonies.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jwp98
I had the weird spill thing just once. No gas would go in, not an ounce. Not even excess above the valve. Some sort of weird vapor lock. Embarrassing and smelly. I should try the upside down pumping. We don't have vapor recovery yet here in the boonies.
Press your dealer to get you the fuel neck ring. They put it on (under warranty) and works great! I filled up yesterday and for once, I could leave it alone while it fueld by itself and it actually filled up entirely!!--imagine that, gas IN the car and not on me!?!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I have experienced that also at different stations. I have found that manually tilting the nozzle upward, to the left, allows a proper fill.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
Update: Got it in at the dealer yesterday morning and it took the technician a total of 5 minutes. It was done even before my paperwork was ready.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
The upside down pumping actually works....lol. Can't believe it!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
These days I'm having trouble finding pumps with enough slack in the hose that they'll sit upside down without falling down, but yes it does work.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Search and found this thread FTW. I thought I was going nuts. Will have to call the dealer for the adapter and try the upside down nozzle trick. Thanks all.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 AM
dvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to beholddvpouldar26 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zero911
Search and found this thread FTW. I thought I was going nuts. Will have to call the dealer for the adapter and try the upside down nozzle trick. Thanks all.
Inverting the nozzle does the trick, but you don't need to necessarily do it. I had this problem on my BME e92 and now on my cayman. Here in CA, we have the HEALY vapor system on our pumps (what the black rubber boot is for on the nozzle). When you are fueling, pull the boot back a little bit so there is no airtight seal to the filler neck, and your problem will be solved. I used to do the inverted nozzle trick too though.....always got weird looks when filling up.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26
Inverting the nozzle does the trick, but you don't need to necessarily do it. I had this problem on my BME e92 and now on my cayman. Here in CA, we have the HEALY vapor system on our pumps (what the black rubber boot is for on the nozzle). When you are fueling, pull the boot back a little bit so there is no airtight seal to the filler neck, and your problem will be solved. I used to do the inverted nozzle trick too though.....always got weird looks when filling up.
Will try that as well until I get the adapter installed thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Yeah here in CA we have these stupid rubber boots that go over the pumps and they totally mess up filling our cars. My FJ is fine, my 911 hates them and I have to invert the pump, but the worst is my work truck makes it so I have to sit there and hold the pump by hand...all 30 freaking gallons! Here's a pic of the stupid pump boots
I'm starting to see these pump heads here in WA... and there are certain gas stations I've been avoiding because I can only get 3/4 of a tank.

I'll try what's been suggested here!