997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Problems pumping gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Problems pumping gas

Hi all,

I love my 997 TT but I've noticed some preplexing engineering designs (I posted about the engine compartment getting soaked after a wash recently). Last night, I was attempting to pump gas and the nozzle kept stopping after a couple of seconds of gas flow. I tried to reposition several times but it wouldn't accept the nozzle. When I pulled out the nozzle, a whole bunch of gas leaked down the side of the car and onto the ground--the whole car smelled like gas the rest of the night .

This is the 3rd time I've had issues with pumping gas. The other two times, the gas flow would shut off way before the tank was full (like 3/4) or it wouldn't accept the latch and I had to manually pump the gas. Is it the gas tank or just bad nozzles? I've never experienced this with any other car. Has anyone else had similar problems when fueling?

Thanks as always for the tips.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
turn nozzle upside down while pumping.

it allows me to add another 3 gallons. If that is not your problem you need to take it to service.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If the nozzle is the kind that has that thick rubber boot, then it's mainly the rubber boot and the fact that gasing the 911 is done vertically. I usually had problems with them and the worse was when it actually blew off the car and the gas kept pumping (about 5 gallons came out before the attendant grabbed the hose). Quite scary and since then I always stayed with the nozzle.

Finally I found a Hess station that does not use that thick boot and problem solved.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 512bb
If the nozzle is the kind that has that thick rubber boot, then it's mainly the rubber boot and the fact that gasing the 911 is done vertically. I usually had problems with them and the worse was when it actually blew off the car and the gas kept pumping (about 5 gallons came out before the attendant grabbed the hose). Quite scary and since then I always stayed with the nozzle.

Finally I found a Hess station that does not use that thick boot and problem solved.
It's a california thing, we don't have those ugly pumps here in Colorado.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
That's weird. I thought ALL Eupopeans cars are like that.

I had an 07 911 Turbo and it did exactly that.

Now I have a 2011 911 Turbo S and it's doing exactly that.

My 458 Italia is doing that. This car is even worse. I can't put any gas on 458 Italia unless I use my keys to support the black rubber.

When I had the 07 Turbo doing that, I went to the dealer but they couldn't fix it. So, I thought that was the norm.

Does this mean other people are not having these problems?????

By the way, I'm in SoCal.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 PM
hywy one is on a distinguished road
pumping gas problem, solution.

Same problem as you all, read on 6spd to invert the gas noozle and pump away, works well!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
That's weird. I thought ALL Eupopeans cars are like that.

I had an 07 911 Turbo and it did exactly that.

Now I have a 2011 911 Turbo S and it's doing exactly that.

My 458 Italia is doing that. This car is even worse. I can't put any gas on 458 Italia unless I use my keys to support the black rubber.

When I had the 07 Turbo doing that, I went to the dealer but they couldn't fix it. So, I thought that was the norm.

Does this mean other people are not having these problems?????

By the way, I'm in SoCal.
Looks like we're the only ones

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by hywy one
Same problem as you all, read on 6spd to invert the gas noozle and pump away, works well!
So turn it completely upside down? I'm gonna love the looks the other drivers give me

Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MK23
So turn it completely upside down? I'm gonna love the looks the other drivers give me
yeah but it def works at least a couple extra gallons worth

Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Sobrut911 is on a distinguished road
I have an 11 Turbo S and don' t have any problem fueling.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sobrut911
I have an 11 Turbo S and don' t have any problem fueling.
That's b/c you don't have that black rubber on the nozzle, I get extremely annoyed every time I fill up in California. I've been to many states and they don't have them. I have no issues filling up my Porsche here.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Do you have the engine turned off ?

Had that problem once because I left the engine running. When engine is off no problem with .2 Turbo or F430 Scuderia.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah here in CA we have these stupid rubber boots that go over the pumps and they totally mess up filling our cars. My FJ is fine, my 911 hates them and I have to invert the pump, but the worst is my work truck makes it so I have to sit there and hold the pump by hand...all 30 freaking gallons! Here's a pic of the stupid pump boots

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 AM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Yeah here in CA we have these stupid rubber boots that go over the pumps and they totally mess up filling our cars. My FJ is fine, my 911 hates them and I have to invert the pump, but the worst is my work truck makes it so I have to sit there and hold the pump by hand...all 30 freaking gallons! Here's a pic of the stupid pump boots
Yes, exactly. Then I think this is "THE" cause! Case closed!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bosco42
Do you have the engine turned off ?

Had that problem once because I left the engine running. When engine is off no problem with .2 Turbo or F430 Scuderia.
Don't you get a CEL if the engine is running and gas cap is off?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems pumping gas