997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cel - p0021

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
My motorman indicates there is quite a bit of additional work that needs to be done once the motor is dropped and the cams exposed in order to install new rods and whatnot. Probably something in the neighborhood of 25 hours +/- He advises checking with your local builder to get his estimate. Hope that helps,
That's useful info, thanks a lot. Rep points 4 u.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
well , after reading all posts i woulk like to know , what if some one do not have cable to check codes .. what signs you will notice from driving the car ?? is the car will be low in power ?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
you'll get a cel and you'll feel a bit of power loss in the midrange (that's where I noticed it most).

Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
you'll get a cel and you'll feel a bit of power loss in the midrange (that's where I noticed it most).
Have you had yours dealt with yet?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Have you had yours dealt with yet?
The cel hasn't come back and the butt dyno and pbox indicate that everything is fine. I know it could be fixed under warranty but since the dealer doesn't pin the camshafts the problem could return so I will leave things alone for now and wait and see if the cel returns. Then I'll have to decide what to do...

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
The cel hasn't come back and the butt dyno and pbox indicate that everything is fine. I know it could be fixed under warranty but since the dealer doesn't pin the camshafts the problem could return so I will leave things alone for now and wait and see if the cel returns. Then I'll have to decide what to do...
Oh well, fingers crossed then boggy. Hope it stays away but if it surfaced once then thats one time too many if you know what i mean. Sure hope i never get it.....touch wood. It certainly sounds like a proper PIA to get fixed plus you also may have the issue of arguing the toss because of mods etc. Maybe.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
GTEE83 is on a distinguished road
FYI, my car came up with the CEL a week ago and I got it into the dealer today. They are expecting to get my cams on Wednesday, and I will hopefully have the car some time this weekend. Anybody out there know how many times this has happened?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Well it looks like the CEL is back, along with the symptoms. Damn. Does anyone know if Porsche has developed a real fix for the camshaft issue? If they just put in another camshaft that will potentially do the same thing then I'd rather just pay and get the camshafts pinned. thoughts?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Well it looks like the CEL is back, along with the symptoms. Damn. Does anyone know if Porsche has developed a real fix for the camshaft issue? If they just put in another camshaft that will potentially do the same thing then I'd rather just pay and get the camshafts pinned. thoughts?
Asher, If you're going to put in new cams, just get them pinned before they go in. It would only take 10 min or so to insert the pins. Give TK a call.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
I have the same issue. Dealership has changed cam position sensors, inspected cams. I still have Cel returning. Funny thing is that the cel clears it self. I have asked why I'm having this issue from day one of ownership and the dealer can't give me a answer. There is a problem and Porsche doesn't have a answer. My car runs strong even with the check engine light on. I just hate having a intermittent check engine light. Dealer dose to seem to be in a hurry to fix the problem. My certified warranty is running out early next year.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by M3 S3-R
I have the same issue. Dealership has changed cam position sensors, inspected cams. I still have Cel returning. Funny thing is that the cel clears it self. I have asked why I'm having this issue from day one of ownership and the dealer can't give me a answer. There is a problem and Porsche doesn't have a answer. My car runs strong even with the check engine light on. I just hate having a intermittent check engine light. Dealer dose to seem to be in a hurry to fix the problem. My certified warranty is running out early next year.
Mine cleared itself last year also after a hard day at the track! I noticed that I get the CEL shortly after changing the oil. I wondered if tiny bits of paper towel (from mopping up the oil in the filter area) were clogging the holes in the camshaft so this time I didn't use paper towel - I used a syringe and needle to empty the oil filter housing. I'll drive the car hard and see what happens. My cpo warranty runs out early next year also. I had the actuators changed out last year.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
Asher, If you're going to put in new cams, just get them pinned before they go in. It would only take 10 min or so to insert the pins. Give TK a call.
If the dealership does it I'm not sure they'd be willing to do this (I'll ask). If it ends up on my dime then I'll get the engine built (not at the dealer) at the same time and have the cams shipped to Todd for pinning.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
At this point I would be surprised if its a dirty oil issue. My old is changed ever 3k. Dealer did mention fault could be caused by dirty oil.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Is the actuator the same thing as a variator? I had both variators replaced when my motor was rebuilt by Evoms after it threw a CEL when initially reassembled. They indicated when the variators become contaminated, which apparently happens quite often and easily, a CEL is sure to follow. No issues now. Best,

Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Bringing up old thread here but any new news on this subject?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cel - p0021