997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
Tts is a top of the line car so it will always feel special. 991 is new so will feel special for maybe 1st yr then you will start to lust for the 991 top models. Easy decision for me

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SethW
$ should not really be the consideration here. If it were, I would be looking at a used TT (like me).
And me! I'm at a point in life where spending money like that on a new TurboS is affordable, but I just haven't wrapped my head around it yet. I would take last year's Turbo over next year's base model every time... or 4yrs ago model in my case, then tune/clutch/exhaust after the CPO runs out

My 997.1 came with 2011 turbo wheels, just added LED tails... most outside the Porsche crowd (and some in it) can't tell it's a 4+ yr old car. After simple mods it will have more power than the next gen 991TT (minus launch control). Seems like a much better deal to me, but I'm cheap

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
cheesehead is on a distinguished road
Turbo S versus 991 Carrera S

Am new to this board.

Also in that stage in my life where I am contemplating purchasing a Turbo versus a Carrera S.

I live in a very rural area. The nearest Porsche dealer is greater than 75 miles away. And that dealership is a very low volume, subpar dealership.

Plan to probably pay cash for my Porsche, but have not ever purchased such an exotic car before.

Do not even know if pricing Porsches over the phone or email for quotes has any value or not. Have heard that it can be useful with regular econocars.

Have seen a lot of posters on this board talk about "ordering" a car 6 months ahead of time or setting "a build date".

After going through this thread, I am convinced that my purchase in the next two to three years should be either a used or new Porsche Turbo or Turbo S. Would ideally prefer a 991 Turbo, but it appears that variant may (especially first year model) possibly approach the 200,000 mark.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

When it comes time to buy my Porsche would you custom order a Turbo from the local low volume podunk Porsche dealer, or would you call or email dealers in the big city like 2 to 3 hours away (or even out of state)?

I could I guess probably call or email every Porsche dealer in the U.S.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cheesehead
Am new to this board.
I live in a very rural area. The nearest Porsche dealer is greater than 75 miles away. And that dealership is a very low volume, subpar dealership.
Scarey isn't it? The nearest dealers and aftermarket shops are 200mi/3hrs from me

Coolest car I can get seviced in my neck of the woods is a Corvette... and I considered it out of pure convenience and not wanting to turn off the "locals" in a P-car. Now that I think of it, there is a Nissan dealer in town too....

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Texas

Yes. Spent half a decade in Texas. Still have flashbacks.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
After going through this thread, I am convinced that my purchase in the next two to three years should be either a used or new Porsche Turbo or Turbo S. Would ideally prefer a 991 Turbo, but it appears that variant may (especially first year model) possibly approach the 200,000 mark.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

When it comes time to buy my Porsche would you custom order a Turbo from the local low volume podunk Porsche dealer, or would you call or email dealers in the big city like 2 to 3 hours away (or even out of state)?
If buying a used Porsche, yes, you should widen your search.

If buying a new Porsche, there is nothing wrong with ordering your car from your local dealer (I assume Fresno, or Bakersfield?). In fact, being from a small town, they *may* be able to give you the best deal. Equal pricing, I would prefer local dealer and local delivery of a new car, less chance for anything going wrong (damage during transport, or "claimed" to be during transport), you get to inspect the car closely, etc.

A 991 Turbo does pique my interest.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat having recently sold my 996tt. However, the performance difference between the 2 cars makes me select the 997tts.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
One other important factor for why I will choose the 997 TT S is that this is essentially 2010 technology, not 2007. Unlike the 996 TT S, which was just the x50 plus other options included, the 997 TT s is much different than the 2007 997 TT - 3.8 L dfi, pdk, launch control, ptv, improved suspension, improved exhaust, minor exterior changes, etc. So I don't feel like it's outdated technology, since major changes occured in 2010.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 AM
actually Stockton-Sacramento area. nearest dealers are Sacramento and Livermore. since you are from Los Angeles, was wondering whether it would be worth it to order Porsche from Porsche Beverly Hills since they are such high volume dealer.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
can a post from 2011 be resurrected and still be relevant? instead of starting new post, I've considered all the useful data in 5 pages of posts and seeing if this OP's post had any life left. i'm in the market for either 997.2 TT (not interested in the mezger vs 9A1 argument) or pre owned 991 S or C4S. my price range is $8Xk - $100k, there is decent inventory of both models. I've owned ten 911's, the last being 997.1 C4S w/x51 and prior to that 02' 996TT. I immediately missed the boost when I bought the 997, though thought the car was better in every other regard. this will be cash purchase, 10k miles/yr use, likely keep car 4 yrs+/-. now that the 991 has been out for 2+ years and available inventory plentiful, the 997.2TT also has depreciated significantly since OP. the feeling of a TT flat 6 is intoxicating (in a good way), but I also hold the latest available technology and drivability of the new 991 very important. no, I've not driven either. is there anything more to be said on this subject?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Yeah i fyou are addicted to boost get the TT. Addicted to having the newest thing get the 991.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM
grendel88 is on a distinguished road
For the money and the thrills, 997TTS was my choice. I almost picked up a 991S at the end of my E92 M3 lease two years ago, but did not seem like a gigantic upgrade in terms of performance. When I got my 997.2TTS, 2 months ago as my "fun" car, I was BLOWN AWAY. The boost and raw power are crazy addictive. I did the Sharkwerks pipe, and I can just drive with the windows down and go through the rev range all day.

The tech and cabin are really nice in the 991, but I feel these things should be reserved for sedans not 911s. Having a 911 is about wanting the most fun you can get out a car without paying for crazy Italian service.

I am sure the 991TTS is amazing, but they are over $180K compared to $120K...

Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Turbo vs 991 s

I was on the waiting list for 991 turbo s for 1 and 1/2 years. I really wanted one bad. When the 180000 to 200000 "properly" equipped sticker came out my wife said "no way" even though we could easily afford it. She said used turbo or new 991 s. I custom ordered a fully loaded silver with red interior 137000 MSRP (old turbo price) and never looked back. I Luv it. The naturally aspirated 7500 rpm gives me a thrill that I don't think you can get with a turbo. I've owned turbos before. The sound isn't the same. And the speed and acceleration is on par with a first gen 997 non PDK turbo.

I am actually thinking of getting a powerkit carrera s or gts next time around.

Originally Posted by doktordyper
can a post from 2011 be resurrected and still be relevant? instead of starting new post, I've considered all the useful data in 5 pages of posts and seeing if this OP's post had any life left. i'm in the market for either 997.2 TT (not interested in the mezger vs 9A1 argument) or pre owned 991 S or C4S. my price range is $8Xk - $100k, there is decent inventory of both models. I've owned ten 911's, the last being 997.1 C4S w/x51 and prior to that 02' 996TT. I immediately missed the boost when I bought the 997, though thought the car was better in every other regard. this will be cash purchase, 10k miles/yr use, likely keep car 4 yrs+/-. now that the 991 has been out for 2+ years and available inventory plentiful, the 997.2TT also has depreciated significantly since OP. the feeling of a TT flat 6 is intoxicating (in a good way), but I also hold the latest available technology and drivability of the new 991 very important. no, I've not driven either. is there anything more to be said on this subject?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 AM
kittivan will become famous soon enoughkittivan will become famous soon enough
The naturally aspirated 7500 rpm gives me a thrill that I don't think you can get with a turbo. I've owned turbos before. The sound isn't the same. And the speed and acceleration is on par with a first gen 997 non PDK turbo.

I am actually thinking of getting a powerkit carrera s or gts next time around.
I respectfully dissagree with Cheesehead here. I've driven the 991S and own a 997 turbo. In my opinion the speed and acceleration of a 991S can not be compared to a manual 997.1 turbo. As you said, you missed the "turbo" feel of your 996 and if you haven't driven a 997 turbo, that "turbo" feel is magnified. For me you just don't get that feel or rush from the 991S.

However, with your $100k budget, it would be hard to find a 997 Turbo S as I haven't seen any under $110k. I may be wrong though but I was just in the market for a turbo not too long ago.

With that said, TTS all the way if you can find one that cheap!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 AM
yah996 will become famous soon enoughyah996 will become famous soon enough
Angry

Originally Posted by kittivan
I respectfully dissagree with Cheesehead here. I've driven the 991S and own a 997 turbo. In my opinion the speed and acceleration of a 991S can not be compared to a manual 997.1 turbo.
I have now over 10 days a 991S PDK 2014 in my garage, also i still own a 987.2 Spyder and a 997.1TT 6 MT. First drive with the S, my first impression was, the S is much slower and i felt a big difference in the acceleration. Unfortunately that is not true. After a few drives, I changed my mind completely. The 991 is fast a hell, this car has "only" 400 HP.

If you drive the car at the first time, it feels like (and it does) the 997TT is pushing much harder, but it is only in between 3000-5000. On a real road, there is no big performance different to this cars. The PDK in 991S will kill my 997.TT. It so easily to control all the power, find the right rev limits with a PDK. And off course the 991S PDK is amazing good, ever better as on my 987.2 Sypder, i cant believe this, but it is true.

The 991S 3.8 DFI is hanging unbelievable good "on the gas pedal", so you will became also easily addicted to this car. No words, off course to the sound of the 991

At least, the S is also much much easier to drive. The 991 is more a smoothy car, but the suspension on a standard S is far away from a sports car. The handling of my spyder is much much better, even the turbo an tiny roads is better. But, for me the worst thing again, the 991 runs on the Autobahn above 200km/h like on rails. No affordable P car can compete this. The turbo fears me above 250km/h and is not so stable as a 991. No way.

My wife says always, she has no fears at all to push the pedal to ground on a 991S, but for her, there is no way to this in turbo. She said: "The turbo is driving with me, he likes to kill me".

Last edited by yah996; 06-20-2014 at 01:58 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S