997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PSM failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Wing_Nut is on a distinguished road
PSM failure

I replaced my stopwatch with a boost meter and now get a "PSM Failure" message. I've driven the car hoping that it will reset but the message won't go away. And now my sport button won't work. Has anyone had this problem before? Thank you in advance!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 AM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried unhooking your battery again (assuming you unhooked it to begin with)? Sometimes after doing some work (w/ the power disconnected) I have PSM failure or a button issue that won't go away unless I disconnect the battery a second time.

Cam

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by UTPorsche
Have you tried unhooking your battery again (assuming you unhooked it to begin with)? Sometimes after doing some work (w/ the power disconnected) I have PSM failure or a button issue that won't go away unless I disconnect the battery a second time.

Cam
Hey Cam!
Yes, I disconnected the battery a second time... then a third... then a forth, fifth and sixth! I even tried leaving the battery disconnected for 20 min. But like herpes, the failure just keeps coming back!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Don't have a solution for you but it sounds as if you know what caused the problem - replacing the chrono with the boost gauge, With the warning light and inoperative sport button you must have inadvertently disconnected something. Re-trace your install and see if you can find anything. Good luck tracking this down.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Don't have a solution for you but it sounds as if you know what caused the problem - replacing the chrono with the boost gauge, With the warning light and inoperative sport button you must have inadvertently disconnected something. Re-trace your install and see if you can find anything. Good luck tracking this down.
Thanks for the advice. It looks like thats what I'm going to have to do. A friend told me the cause is the fact I disconnected the chrono clock. I refused to believe that Porsche would make the car have a PSM failure over a clock. So I've been putting off as long as I can going through the trouble of pulling the stereo out just to hook up that clock again.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Don't be surprised, there is so much of that car that is connected and disconnecting one gives you funky errors. I am assuming that when you did the install the battery was disconnected. If not, the car will kick out an error code and then the chase is one to find out the error and to clear it (this is a common thing when swapping out seats).

If the clock totally disconnected at this point and sitting on a shelf you may not be able to resolve the issue without reprogramming to car to take out the sport chrono option. That is not a recommended solution. I think the best would be to reconnect the clock and have it hidden somewhere in the back of the dashboard. In that way the car knows the clock exists and you don't get any errors and you'll keep your boost gauge. If you do a search I believe a few people have done it this way without issues.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Hey Cam!
Yes, I disconnected the battery a second time... then a third... then a forth, fifth and sixth! I even tried leaving the battery disconnected for 20 min. But like herpes, the failure just keeps coming back!
Ah, sorry to hear that's not working. Like you I'm inclined to think that disconnecting the chrono would not cause and error in the Stability Management system... but nothing with these cars surprises me anymore (last time I changed my battery the car thought it had a defective 02 sensor...). Hopefully someone who has puled out their chrono will come along and chime in.

Cam

Last edited by UTPorsche; 11-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
skinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to behold
U have to leave the clock connected. Wrap it up nice and tuck away in the dash !!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
I hope everything is alright!