997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Coolant Pipe Leak Month

Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 PM
altesporsche is on a distinguished road
That sounds like they pinned it incorrectly. There isn't a lot of pressure in the cooling system, surely not enough to blow out a pinned sleeve.

that's a bad run of luck there I had a lot of problems with mine when I first got it, but its all good now. terrified of the camshaft thing, now that the car is running perfectly lol

Originally Posted by mikestyle
Not to worry, my coolant lines have blown twice even after pinning, I also spun my cam and blew a turbo! All in one summer

Just waiting for my spoiler to fail.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:41 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
yeah I had the camshaft thing, spoiler thing, clutch slave thing, rattling window thing. Best move I made was buying the cpo warranty when I imported the car from US P dealer. Paid for itself many times over.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM
altesporsche is on a distinguished road
Ouch that's the full meal deal there. I may possibly be experiencing early slave issues. but the same as you I had most problems that are common to these cars aside from the camshaft thing. I unfortunately didn't have CPO or a warranty that was useful, so the cars cost me a ton in maintenance the first year I owned it.

Do you attend any of the rennlist meets on Saturdays ? im rarely home so its the only way I get to interact with other p car fellas.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
yeah I had the camshaft thing, spoiler thing, clutch slave thing, rattling window thing. Best move I made was buying the cpo warranty when I imported the car from US P dealer. Paid for itself many times over.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I wasn't aware of the Rennlist Saturdays. I know a couple of guys off this forum locally. Last year did a whole house reno and this year redid the landscaping so didn't have time for meets. Next year should be different!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 AM
dave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nice
It would be helpful to know what year cars everyone is talking about when they relay their incident. I had a 08 Turbo cab I drove every day for 48K miles and had no problems. I now have a 2012 with 16K miles and no problems. Are we talking model year, mileage or what on the issue cars.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Cubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to beholdCubes is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2008 with 118,000km (73k miles for our friends in the US) and had a hose burst around 20k km ago. I decided to pin the pipes while replacing the hose since they had to drop the engine anyway. There was no leak or indication that it was going to happen, it just did. I did a pull on the street going to my friends house and I saw white smoke temp started to rise and that was it. Drove the rest of the drive (5min) to his house and got it towed to my indy.
For those local people wondering, I took the car to Brent at Hunter Motorsports.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Hey Cubes, that's similar to my experience - I launched onto the highway and then the low coolant light came on etc...

2007 with 84000km (a little over 50k miles).

I tried to get some work done by Hunter a couple of years ago but we got off on the wrong foot so I went elsewhere. My recent repair was at MVS in Scarborough.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
are these all 997.1s??

Curious if these are all .1s? Although this isn't internals, I thought the Metzger build was bulletproof and so much more reliable? The comment on the epoxy sent chills up my spine.

Did they change the coolant pipes with the .2 or do I get to look forward to the same in my "unreliable" DFI lol?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Mvs does good work

Good attention to detail

Old 10-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I like Mario and his son at MVS. I'm not sure how much experience they have with a 997 turbo but they believe they can handle it. He has backup from a Master Porsche tech. Coincidentally my other friend referred me to that same Master Porsche tech. Just in discussions now and will figure out if I'm going to get my cams pinned while the engine is down and car out of service for the winter.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
They have a lot of exp with the 997tt

why r u dropping the motor? To recheck all the work done by bt? hope not. If so u should tell z....that aint right

Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 AM
yes, that's why. The burst hose was the coolant return line from the turbo. I don't think MVS could replace the whole thing without dropping the engine. At least that's what I understood. There's a temporary part in there right now which is just a short piece with clamps on both sides. Mario said he can see some of the "wrong" jubilee clamps on some of the other water hoses. Now I don't know if and when it would cause a problem because of those clamps but I think I'd rather have everything checked out and get some other stuff done too. I think it will simplify the water pump change, plug change, maybe get camshafts pinned, and the list goes on, lol.

I haven't seen the coolant level drop at all in 5 days and couple hundred kms driving so I think that means there's no head gasket damage. I want that looked at too obviously but for now I remain optimistic.

I will be getting in touch with Z about this...

Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 AM
How could I forget, I also had the broken gearshift cable thing. Unfortunately after the warranty expired. It was the one time (and only time ) I let my bro drive the car alone. He had a great time and just about home when it happened. He felt bad but I told him it was a "known" thing. I put in the Numeric Racing cable which is really good and strong. It was MVS that did this for me and I was happy with my experience with them.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:06 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Couldn't agree more. CPO and then extended warranty paid for itself over many times. I've had the coolant pipe blowout, spoiler failure and tip transmission leak (replaced). I have till April till the warranty runs out. Just hoping the camshaft thing happens soon. So much for 997 turbo's being bulletproof Anyone know if there's anyway you can "tease" the camshaft issue out? Joking but kind of serious too...

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM
I don't think there is any way to tease it out - it usually happened when I slowed down to a stop and then came the familiar "beep" and check engine light. Always left an unsettled feeling in my stomach when it happened, although a number of times the CEL was something else.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Leak Month