997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Xonas are on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

Here's a boost comparison. It's not the latest wastegate log, but I don't think the wg pressure changes when the tune is revised. The wg log didn't go all the way up to redline on this pull. The other log looks just the same, lol, but I'm requesting more boost than wg.

The "flutter" above 6k rpm is probably because the wastegate pressure and requested pressure are very close. Over the next couple of days (depending on weather) I'll see what happens when I request even more boost....

Car is already pretty quick, almost at the "goals" I had set for the project.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

This is with 110% offset. Not sure if it's really any different, lol.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you specified at order you have 1 bar springs, alphas almost always come a bit tight on the preload .... Take it to any shop that does turboes and they will adjust it so they are sync'd ....

And, you need some alcohol injection inyour life, seriously these things dont even come alive before 1.5bar and a good 0,8G's of acceleration in 3rd ... #HoldON

Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 PM
What do you mean by "synced"?
I experienced .6g in 3rd gear and liked it, can just imagine what .8 feels like

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Tonight I did a 60-100mph pull in 2.8s on pumpgas! full tank of gas, slight uphill, 63F outside. This is with target boost of 23psi with offset set at 110%. On the 4th gear 75-110 pull the time was slightly SLOWER than I was expecting but the logs showed more knock sensor activity than previously noted so I think we reached the practical limit of pumpgas in 4th gear. It held boost around 21-22psi all the way as far as I went in 4th (which wasn't redline) after 4600rpm. In 3rd gear it made 21.x psi all the way up after 5k rpm. It's still a bit rich in parts of the power band so I'm going to ask Sam to focus on that and once I get that optimized I will settle on a "final" tune with minimal knock sensor activity and best pbox times!
I don't think I ever broke the tires loose even in 2nd gear with the 68s but tonight the traction control light flashed on a hard 2nd gear burst.

Last edited by The Bogg; 06-13-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:18 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Tonight I did a 60-100mph pull in 2.8s on pumpgas! full tank of gas, slight uphill, 63F outside. This is with target boost of 23psi with offset set at 110%. On the 4th gear 75-110 pull the time was slightly SLOWER than I was expecting but the logs showed more knock sensor activity than previously noted so I think we reached the practical limit of pumpgas in 4th gear. It held boost around 21-22psi all the way as far as I went in 4th (which wasn't redline) after 4600rpm. In 3rd gear it made 21.x psi all the way up after 5k rpm. It's still a bit rich in parts of the power band so I'm going to ask Sam to focus on that and once I get that optimized I will settle on a "final" tune with minimal knock sensor activity and best pbox times!
I don't think I ever broke the tires loose even in 2nd gear with the 68s but tonight the traction control light flashed on a hard 2nd gear burst.

What do consider "rich" for 23 psi on pump gas? What is your tuning strategy to deal with the knocking while leaning it out? Are you going to pull more timing or drop the boost ?

I guess the 68's don't due too much if the traction control lights never come on in 2nd with them on ? How much gains do you recon the 68's are worth over the stock turbos?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
08957 here is some data on my stock turbos (red & blue curves) vs. Proto 63.5 showing progression over time. Ambient comditions are on there and everything is SAE corrected. I also attached the final calibration we did last year.

I don't have a good data on the Champion 68s Bogg had, the few logs I have the calibration was terrible so I threw those out. I do have a lot of data on Sam's 68s now, from logs I was expecting 750-760whp on stock internals, it was proven out this year on a dyno. A built engine car went 799whp I believe on those.

On E85 my car has no problems breaking traction, can even crab walk into the next lane in good weather I don't bother flooring it on 93oct...spoiled I know This data should give you an idea if upgraded vtgs are of interest. Obviously not the end all here but its my experience.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno_Chart_Collection_May_2017.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	527265   Click image for larger version

Name:	final_allout.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	527266  
Old 06-14-2018, 08:37 AM
08957, my Champion 68 Cobb tune was probably not as good as current tuning strategies allow. That being said, I found them worthwhile based on real-world data. There are loads of dyno plots for various turbos but my opinion is that the real point of adding power and bigger turbos is to see real improvement in pbox parameters. I have a thread comparing the stock car with car plus tune, Proto 63s and Champion 68s.

I found the 68s worthwhile - 75-110mph 4th gear pull was 3.7s compared with 4.3s with my Proto 63s. 60-100 on the 68s was 3.0-3.1s vs 3.4s on the 63s. Worth it for some improved performance on pumpgas. If you have access to e85 I think 63s are the sweet spot...

Old 06-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by 08957
What do consider "rich" for 23 psi on pump gas? What is your tuning strategy to deal with the knocking while leaning it out? Are you going to pull more timing or drop the boost ?

I guess the 68's don't due too much if the traction control lights never come on in 2nd with them on ? How much gains do you recon the 68's are worth over the stock turbos?
I don't actually hit 23psi yet but that's what was targeted. Regardless of the boost the tune has some areas where the values are below 11 on boost. Sam can chime in on strategy but my goal is to run the minimum amount of boost to get to my pbox goals for 60-100 and 75-110 which is basically "real world" use for me. I suspect that we will drop the boost a little in the 5-6k range and taper up a bit above 6k...

Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Does the boost controller process any car data (gear, speed, iat) in real time?

Originally Posted by The Bogg
I don't actually hit 23psi yet but that's what was targeted. Regardless of the boost the tune has some areas where the values are below 11 on boost. Sam can chime in on strategy but my goal is to run the minimum amount of boost to get to my pbox goals for 60-100 and 75-110 which is basically "real world" use for me. I suspect that we will drop the boost a little in the 5-6k range and taper up a bit above 6k...

Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM
I have the throttle position and rpm signal going into the boost controller but currently not using them. Previously I had some tweaks to the boost curve at specific rpms. I will try it again once I've gotten the baseline result I want...

Old 06-16-2018, 11:45 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
08957 here is some data on my stock turbos (red & blue curves) vs. Proto 63.5 showing progression over time. Ambient comditions are on there and everything is SAE corrected. I also attached the final calibration we did last year.

I don't have a good data on the Champion 68s Bogg had, the few logs I have the calibration was terrible so I threw those out. I do have a lot of data on Sam's 68s now, from logs I was expecting 750-760whp on stock internals, it was proven out this year on a dyno. A built engine car went 799whp I believe on those.

On E85 my car has no problems breaking traction, can even crab walk into the next lane in good weather I don't bother flooring it on 93oct...spoiled I know This data should give you an idea if upgraded vtgs are of interest. Obviously not the end all here but its my experience.

What software do you use to get these dyno simulations ? I like the way you have presented this information. Very useful. Thank you

Old 06-17-2018, 12:45 PM
So I think I've figured out why my datalogs all looked awfully close to wastegate pressure even if I requested more boost...I provide this info so that anyone else struggling with the boost controller can find solace in knowing they aren't alone, lol. I found the answer on a Subaru (!!!) forum when I googled about not meeting boost targets with the hks controller. I followed the instructions in the manual which said that you set the wastegate pressure as part of the initial setup - I did it the way they said to and the absolute peak on wg was 20ish psi. I set the target higher than this as recommended. What it took me a while to figure out was that the controller doesn't actually try to control the wastegate until it hits the baseline setpoint which is 20psi as I had set it. Originally the controller was setup with 14.5psi as wastegate pressure assuming that it was a 1 bar wastegate which it isn't actually. With that setting there was a large overboost at onset of control so I figured I'd split the difference and manually entered 17.5psi as wastegate pressure today. I set the target 3psi higher at 20.5psi and I've been able to confirm that my controller actually works, lol.

Last edited by The Bogg; 06-17-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:50 PM

My wastegate log only went up to early 6k rpm. I had logged it a couple more times but for some reason I can't find the file. I may do another one just for comparison later but here's the comparison of different boost settings.

On the "wheelspin" setting it was set to target 22psi iirc and the wastegate was set at 14.5psi. I stomped on it in 3rd and the car was vicious clawing for traction when the boost peak hit, lol. Obviously not a complete run, I had no idea what was going on at the time and got off the throttle and aborted that run.

Today was set for target of 21.5psi with default 100% for offset and 17psi for wastegate. It was 90F outside today and it did 60-100mph in 2.9s. In 87F yesterday it did consistent 2.8s with a bit less boost. I'm happy with the progress but more to go...

Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 PM
The only casualty so far has been my pbox - the other day I was on the highway over a rougher spot and I saw something fall to the dashboard from my peripheral vision and the sound of a marble in a plastic pinball machine...it was the left thumbscrew from the pbox, lol, and unfortunately it went down the vent on the top of the console. No idea how to get at that, lol. Anyway, for those of you with a pbox - check the thumbscrews regularly!

The good news is that I've finally managed to get the boost controller to work as it should. On short pulls this evening (in 90F weather!!!) it holds 21.5-22psi. I wasn't able to pull all the way to redline today but hopefully very soon. It feels very fast with very good spoolup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xonas are on!