997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE exhaust installed - photos and impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
dang... clean under there too...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Inconel?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Tiger is on a distinguished road
cool pics , love the red

Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
noah677 is on a distinguished road
Fantastic

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
oc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really niceoc997 is just really nice
Just got myt AWE exhaust installed and i cant believe how much power difference i notice on this car from just an exhaust.

The sound is absolutely perfect and the tips are gorgeous.

I have to say i am very much impressed with their new gen 2 system.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oc997
Just got myt AWE exhaust installed and i cant believe how much power difference i notice on this car from just an exhaust.

The sound is absolutely perfect and the tips are gorgeous.

I have to say i am very much impressed with their new gen 2 system.
Thanks so much for your business. Please stay in touch.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
porsche4life has a spectacular aura aboutporsche4life has a spectacular aura aboutporsche4life has a spectacular aura about
lookin good

Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Lin unfortunately your picture links are not showing up

Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
ONECMXLIV will become famous soon enoughONECMXLIV will become famous soon enough
winter project

Problem w/photos. Reposted here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Last edited by ONECMXLIV; 02-07-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Pictures don't show but congrats nevertheless.
I too always keep in mind what eclou does when I plan any mods for my Turbo.

eclou,
Repeated viewing of your car's picture finally did it. I got the Techart lip!! An ebay special too, just like yours! Thanks for the tip; I placed a search and finally one came up at 800.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eclou
Got my package from AWE yesterday, and could not wait so I installed it last nite. The brief sequence on the procedure:

A)Removal of stock system

1)jack up rear of car
2)remove taillights
3)remove license plate, rear bumper
4)remove rear inner fender liners
5)remove intercoolers
6)remove rear heat shield and bend side heat shields
7)carefully remove nuts from turbo turbine housing studs
8)remove O2 sensors
9)loosen rear muffler clamps and disengage from brackets
10)remove exhaust as a whole

B)Installation is sort of reverse, but with some tricks

1)pre-tighten muffler clamps onto the AWE exhaust (bolts barely are long enough and clamps need to be "shaped" thru tensioning to fit correctly
2)then remove clamps and engage them on the exhaust brackets without the exhaust
3)install 1 cat (I chose drivers) and then loosely fit the (drivers) muffler to that
4)loosely fit the other cat and muffler into place - since everything is a slip-fit, you have to leave some wiggle room to get the next cat and muffler to engage both the turbo studs and the opposite muffer at the same time.

C)Problems - I did have one stud at the turbine housing break and had to:

1)attempt drilling it for an easy-out
2)broke easy out off inside the broken stud
3)broke 3 drill bits trying to drill out the easy out
4)removed the turbo - 5 oil and water lines to remove, 1 vacuum line, 1 bracket, 3 more troublesome nuts at the header flange, 1 air inlet hose
5)took turbocharger to specialty welder, who built up a nub using a TIG welder to the broken stud, then torqued it out with a vice grip and then chased the threads. Took him all of 2 minutes. This guy is my new "favorite person"!!
6)re-installed the turbo
7)re-installed the exhaust

D)Lesson learned: be very careful with the exhaust studs - they are very, very weak on this car. Even using PB Blaster/ liquid wrench I had problems with 3 of the 8 studs and had to chase all the thread holes with an M8x1.25 tap and clean all the studs using the corresponding die tool.

E)Impressions/summary

1)at idle, much deeper and a slight growl. Very reminscent of a 993 with motorsound
2)throttle response is sharpened tremendously, especially in non-sport mode. The motor responsiveness now is closer to the sport level
3)MORE BOOST!!!! I saw at least a couple more # of boost in non-sport, perhaps another # peak in sport mode. Difference is also that the boost hits earlier (2-300 rpm) and the peak is wider than before. Imagine it as "Sport II"
4)very little to no resonance at cruising speeds

If I had to summarize the nature of the AWE exhaust, I would say it is the way the car should have come. It is not a whole lot louder than stock, and it has more of a menacing tone than the "Dyson". You would not be embarrassed at all driving this into a church parking lot. It truly adds some much needed character to the powertrain. It still won't enthrall the way a Gallardo does but the disappointment is surely gone. It takes the tt from a 3/10 to about a 7.5/10 in terms of exhaust.
Any chance of you re-uploading images since they are ling gone it seems? I am just about to do an exhaust install and I would love for threads like this one to have pictures hosted in a more permanent location (shouldnt 6spped like other similar sites be able to host jpg's?)

Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Any chance of you re-uploading images since they are ling gone it seems? I am just about to do an exhaust install and I would love for threads like this one to have pictures hosted in a more permanent location (shouldnt 6spped like other similar sites be able to host jpg's?)

done. I put all my chips on Picvault way back when and they folded. Now its Photobucket but I lost a ton of stuff