997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

!Wacky DME! How does this happen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 PM
C2Spin will become famous soon enough
Question !Wacky DME! How does this happen?

Had a PPI and DME done at a P-dealer on an '06 C4S w/15,000 miles. PPI comes back in really good shape - tires, brakes, other mechanical and interior inspections look good.

However, when I looked at the DME - it was like WTF

There are no ignitions in any of the ranges:
- Range 1 = 0
- Range 2 = 0
- Range 3 = 0
- Range 4 = 0
- Range 5 = 0
- Range 6 = 0

But, wait, it gets better...

The operating hours counter reads 1.2 hours. There was another reading that said Total Distance = 54. Man, this just ain't right I say...but, then again I'm still learning.

So, I call the P-dealer that did the PPI and talk to a service advisor. He was aware of the car and knew the tech that performed the scan. He understands the DME well, so he tells me. So, I ask him about the range results and said, that doesn't seem to pass the sniff test does it? All he says is it is kind of odd, but I should talk to the dealer (independent that is selling the car). They are the customer and you should talk to them about. He all of a sudden got tight lipped. I asked him is a computer (ACU?) could be reset, or is it a new engine, and he started playing Colonel Klink on me.

My gut tells me to run...run...as fast as you can away from this deal.

But before I do, does anyone here have any insights as to how a DME could read like this? For a brand new car, maybe, but an '06 w/15,000 miles, I don't think so.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Never heard of that one. I don't think you can reset the DME. One problem I notice here is the statement "They are the customer". YOU should be the customer. Did you pay for the PPI or did they? The bigger question is, is the DME from your car or another one? This I really doubt, but nevertheless. Of course, give your indi the benefit of the doubt and ask them what's up.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
that is not possible...at the very least the engine hours should be correct and with that mileage at an average speed the motor should have a few hundred hours on it at least...sounds like a new engine and DME reset

Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
New DME Module?

Let us know if you find out how this was done.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
even with a new DME they would by law have to put in the correct hours and mileage on the motor...most likely a new motor or rebuild

Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
it must be brand new DME module , or they gave u a print out off a new pcar.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
New DME Module?

Let us know if you find out how this was done.
Are you getting some ideas Ed?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 PM
C2Spin will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ryem3
Never heard of that one. I don't think you can reset the DME. One problem I notice here is the statement "They are the customer". YOU should be the customer. Did you pay for the PPI or did they? The bigger question is, is the DME from your car or another one? This I really doubt, but nevertheless. Of course, give your indi the benefit of the doubt and ask them what's up.
Great question. I paid the ID for the PPI and DME, so you're right that would mean I am the customer. I'll call to P-dealer and ask to speak to Svc Mgr and see if I can get to the bottom of this. Replaced DME module, new/rebuilt engine, or going the unethical route, a DME scan off a different (new) vehicle.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I'm guessing either :
1) new motor
2) DMe of a different car .

I am leaning towards number 2 . If it was a new motor then it would have to be disclosed . At the very least PCNA would have a record of it . In other words if they falsefied the report they open the door to litigation and it doesn't seem like they care . In fact the slip of the tongue of the service advisor implies that they are in kahoots (sp?) .

Not only would I walk from the car but I would call PCNA and fax them the results, the Vin, and both dealerships as an FYI but before you do I would offer both the chance to come clean and simply lose you as a customer .

Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator
yrralis has a good point...I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't try to slip you a bogus DME readout...if you call them on it they may just say it was an honest mistake but unless you are there when they do it how will you know they are giving you the correct readout for the car they are trying to sell you....regardless of what transpired here I would not do any business with them

Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
yrralis has a good point...I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't try to slip you a bogus DME readout...if you call them on it they may just say it was an honest mistake but unless you are there when they do it how will you know they are giving you the correct readout for the car they are trying to sell you....regardless of what transpired here I would not do any business with them
Cloned ECU.

Contains all the data, VIN, etc. Engine hours will be closed to 0, with no over revs.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by bbywu
Cloned ECU.

Contains all the data, VIN, etc. Engine hours will be closed to 0, with no over revs.
will the mileage be closed to 0 as well?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Good point...I am almost certain that mileage is not recorded on the ECU. It may be on the odometer, but the ECU only recorded operating hour? It would explain why his odometer is 15K, but his hours are so low.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Administrator
the op said there was a reading that indicated total distance =54...is that supposed to coincide with miles on the motor? we need an expert on DME readouts

Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
the op said there was a reading that indicated total distance =54...is that supposed to coincide with miles on the motor? we need an expert on DME readouts
Well, I know he's been banned, but he's still an expert in my book...Stephen Kaspar had responded to one of my posts a year or so ago.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mory-unit.html

I've had a chance to fiddle with both PIWIS and Durametric...I have never seen an odometer reading on a PIWIS printout of the DME, but it will read the odometer from the cluster. Not sure what the 54 means...wonder if he/she could post a scan of his printout.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !Wacky DME! How does this happen?