997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Seat Position -PDK Vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Seat Position -PDK Vs Manual

I'm back in my PDK car . The first thing I notice is that my seat memory has me positioned further forward than in my Turbo .

I tried to figure out why -
In the Turbo -
I have to lift my left leg to push the clutch . Sitting this far forward would hit my knee into the steering wheel or feel uncomfortable . I would also would not have the same clutch control .
In short a good deal of my positioning was centered on clutch control.

In the PDK -
Sitting futher up has the emphasis on the steering paddles . It was the same when they were buttons BTW . The pedals in the absense of a clutch does not require the same foot raise and lower so I am slightly up more on the the other controls.

As for the recline --it's the same in both and almost identical to the setting on the sport bucket seat which is not adjustable .

I am very picky on my seats . In fact if I didn;t have memory and my seat was moved it would take me weeks to find the position again with slight adjustments OCD .

Anyone else ever ponder how they sit ? I do know some people who don't seem to mind if the seat is moved .

Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Anyone else ever ponder how they sit ? I do know some people who don't seem to mind if the seat is moved .

I think most people do and if someone tracks their car it a key piece of the puzzle in running a good lap.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM
kungfufishing will become famous soon enough
I'm remarkably OCD in terms of seat position. I'm 1800 miles into this car and finally today, just today, I have found a position I really, really like.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Totally nuts about seat position. These days, I would never own a car without electric seats and memory. I actually find that I tweak the position every week or so. A little closer, a little farther, move the lumbar support in or out. Just a tad mind you.

I'm surprised about your PDK position. With autos, I'm inclined to sit farther back to extend my legs. With stick, you need to have positive reach for the clutch. For the wheel, I like to keep the distance with the track measurement - elbow slightly bent with the wrist to the top of the wheel.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
I'm too with my seat position. It bugs the heck out of me when the tech at the dealer adjusts the seat when my car is brought in for service.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i analyze my position for an hour when i first get a car... very very very ****.. i make a couple suggestions to myself and test them and then go back and forth..

my memory is setup for 1=normal, 2=relaxed, 3=sport driving. and the mirrors change to suit ;-)

my key #2 is setup the same overall but unlocking the car with key #2 puts the seat in sporty mode.. and then #2 is normal and #3 relaxed..

i grab key 2 when im bored and wanna go have fun, just jumping in the car im ready to roll cause by the time i walk to it my seat is agressively set.

your not the only one ;-)

btw my last car didnt have memory.. so i etched a line into the plastic on the seat and the door sill so i could get back to perfect, and the recline i made another line where the seat met the base... damn dealers always move the seat and **** me off.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Vic Elford long defined in his book 'Porsche High Performance Driving' the correct driving position. The 911 Owner's Manual seat adjustment directions follows those in general terms. There is no appreciable diff between manual or PDK.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I think most people do and if someone tracks their car it a key piece of the puzzle in running a good lap.
+1 It is one of the most important things that novices learn.

I don't have much problem with seat position, I can move the seat forward or back, the seat back like the Sport Seats that are available in the 997.2 are fixed back.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
. There is no appreciable diff between manual or PDK.
It's not a major difference . Seat recline are both the same . Seat height minimally higher in the PDK as this height would not be comfortable to shift the manual. . Keep in mind I have no power assist in my Turbo with the stage 4 Gt2 conversion and my left knee has to take the imapct at the proper angle . My point is that centering ones self into position is geared more towards the pedals in the manual and more towards the paddles in the PDK .. keeping my body and arms at relaxed distances .

I would say the disparity is about 1/2 inch closer in the PDK and less than that in terms of height.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
It's not a major difference . Seat recline are both the same . Seat height minimally higher in the PDK as this height would not be comfortable to shift the manual. . Keep in mind I have no power assist in my Turbo with the stage 4 Gt2 conversion and my left knee has to take the imapct at the proper angle . My point is that centering ones self into position is geared more towards the pedals in the manual and more towards the paddles in the PDK .. keeping my body and arms at relaxed distances .

I would say the disparity is about 1/2 inch closer in the PDK and less than that in terms of height.
I am not arguing, as the principal factor is one's anatomic dimensions to begin with... but to me the adjustment is:

1 - Adjust the seat height as low as you are comfortable with while seeing well all around. If the seat tilts, adjust angle to relieve pressure in your thighs.

2 - Put your left foot under the clutch or over the dead pedal on a PDK, and adjust site front-to-back position so that your leg is slightly angled. This may provide a slightly different adjustment between PDK and manual.

3 - Adjust the steering wheel front-back so that your arms are comfortable (not extended). The elbows should make a 90deg+ angle.

4 - Adjust the steering wheel up/down so that you have a clear cluster instrument view.

5 - Extend your right arm over the top rim of the steering wheel and adjust the seatback angle so that you touch the steering wheel at your wrist, while your back and shoulders fully touch the seatback.

The seatbelt should be snug.

You are done!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
That is exactly how I am seated in both cars . The hardest part is the height of the clutch combined with a bad left knee . Buta lso the steering wheel is large enough wjere the Turbo clutch is high enough to hit . I am not even a tall or heavy person (5'9" 155lbs --up 5 pounds with all this posting and going back to 150 ASAP) . I have seen people struggle to fit in the car . In fact I remember back in the 90's watching a basketball player with customzed rails for his seat . He was actually sitting where the rear window was on the 993.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 PM
... I have seen people struggle to fit in the car . In fact I remember back in the 90's watching a basketball player with customzed rails for his seat . He was actually sitting where the rear window was on the 993.
I heard about that. Sad really, since seating backwards kills the 911 pilot position magic.