997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacing PCM - Kenwood or Alpine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Replacing PCM - Kenwood or Alpine

I'd like to replace my PCM with a Kenwood DNX6140, a bit more info and experience would be great These set of photos look great after installation, anyone had any experiences with Kenwood or Alpine? Or better/newer versions of touch screens, bluetooth, nav, dvd, mp3 etc.

Thank you all!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I was at a local stereo store getting some work done on another car and asked about the third party units. I was told that the Kenwood's were much better for Porsche integration. I was also told that it is a bit of work to get everything to work properly, but can be done.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
RS4-Brian will become famous soon enoughRS4-Brian will become famous soon enough
That is a very clean install...almost factory'ish.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Yep the installation looks great! Do you know any later models or this will do just fine? I wanna get it this weekend after some more feedback.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned
And here's the eBay link...
Has anyone had any experience with the installations before on their cars?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
My advice is to take it to a shop that has experience, as these are not like putting one in a Honda Civic. The extra money you spend will be well worth the piece of mind. I know some one that had an after market unit installed in his 997C2S, and it caused all sorts of other electrical issues.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by NorthVan
My advice is to take it to a shop that has experience, as these are not like putting one in a Honda Civic. The extra money you spend will be well worth the piece of mind. I know some one that had an after market unit installed in his 997C2S, and it caused all sorts of other electrical issues.
Were they able to solve the issues afterwards? Electrical issues could be very serious, I'm planning on getting the Kenwood DNX7140 to replace my PCM. Do you think graphics and installation guide from whoever had this done would be sufficient, at least help for the installation? I dont wanna messup the electronics setup on my car.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Wow that is one of the cleanest install I've seen in a 997.

I guess you would have to replace the amps and all the speakers, as well as losing many MOST bus functions, like in dash display, sports chorno, memory settings, etc. Right?