997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thinking of blacking out my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Thinking of blacking out my car

but I'm a little torn because i use it as a daily driver and I kind like that it flies under the radar. I would do my wheels and just some dark tint.

What do you guys think. Does it take away from the classic look of the car?

Will it attract more attention?

would love to hear you opinions

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I think it will attract more attention and not necessarily all good. I'm not a fan of the black out. But as you said just an opinion.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Kevganzon is on a distinguished road
I've seen different cars blacked out catch our local highway patrol's attention. It actually stands out IMO. When you leave it stock, it looks less likely the car is hiding something. Just my $0.02

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
... and it does take away from the classic look of the car.
You asked.

Originally Posted by Kevganzon
I've seen different cars blacked out catch our local highway patrol's attention. It actually stands out IMO. When you leave it stock, it looks less likely the car is hiding something. Just my $0.02

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Kuhl997 has a spectacular aura aboutKuhl997 has a spectacular aura about
The nice thing about the black out look....its just paint on the wheels and tint on the windows. All temporary and In my opinion....it get attention but in a good way. Just don't do the red pin-stripe on the wheels. That takes away from the classic look. Red pin stripes are for Honda civic's.

Last edited by Kuhl997; 04-14-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up blacked out definitely catches police attention...

.but then again, PORSCHES generally do, RED, YELLOW, GT2, GT3, TURBO............they all basically do, depends mostly how you drive.....law enforcement credentials also help.he he..............

Attached Images      
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I don't like it and i do see a younger Porsche thing with 20 in wheels and black windows . I prefer understated and functional . I don't like tint .. it cuts visibility and makes a new car look used to me. I don't like black wheels --looks like brake dust. I don't like 20 in wheels .. too big and changes the driving dynamic of the car.

Most guys do this for aesthetics .. so I'll give an opinion on that -- this is simply my biased view-- but it's an honest one--

Usually when I see a backed out car I view it like the guy is a) hoping to attract women with it or b) intimidate other guys by making his car look fierce .

In my opinion most women are not attracted to a blacked out car. Dark and gothic may appeal to troubled women as opposed to calm and cute women. The guys who look at the goth car the most are the cops. Can't blame them .. it almost invites them .

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
thanks for the opinions so far

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I don't like it and i do see a younger Porsche thing with 20 in wheels and black windows . I prefer understated and functional . I don't like tint .. it cuts visibility and makes a new car look used to me. I don't like black wheels --looks like brake dust. I don't like 20 in wheels .. too big and changes the driving dynamic of the car.

Most guys do this for aesthetics .. so I'll give an opinion on that -- this is simply my biased view-- but it's an honest one--

Usually when I see a backed out car I view it like the guy is a) hoping to attract women with it or b) intimidate other guys by making his car look fierce .

In my opinion most women are not attracted to a blacked out car. Dark and gothic may appeal to troubled women as opposed to calm and cute women. The guys who look at the goth car the most are the cops. Can't blame them .. it almost invites them .
As I stated I'm still not sure, I do agree it takes a bit of the classic look away and very dark tint can take away so sight functionality. I see the pics like the ones above of the black on black and think thats hot but I'm not sure that it would work in my daily routine. I don't want to attract undo attention. I'm so torn.

I love the girl comment. I normally try to avoid picking up girls with my car. The whole wife and baby thing kind ended that and if I was going to try to pick up girls with my car I would have bought something a bit flashier. As for 20's I would actually prefer 18's but my car came with 19's. I think the 18's make the car handle a bit better.

Thanks for all the opinions so far. keep them coming

Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Kevganzon is on a distinguished road
I agree with most opinions. It looks cheap and even dirty. I once asked my gf if she liked blacked-out wheels and she retracted. You'll attract more cops, and young punks over girls. Lol!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 AM

I have to say, I got a little chuckle about your advise about what women like. Been sporting the black look with a red Carrera graphic about 2 years and I think it gives the car an "old school" look. Like the cars from the 70" and 80's. The black wheels are a "Porsche" thing and it goes back to Fuchs with black centers. I loved the 80's black cars with the black Fuchs. If you did not notice, the black'ed out car's here have stock Porsche wheels (19"). The 20 inch wheels you speak of have those big chrome lips . Different look. Just a word of advice on the tint....if you have a dark interior go with light tint. If you have a light interior you can go darker. It does make a difference.

By the way, you don't see the brake dust on my wheels but I am sure you will on those understated wheels. My suggestion, do what makes you happy because you can always change it back.

Last edited by Kuhl997; 04-14-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
230 inch wheels??

I agree, thats why I have the 19" "S" wheels that I had powdercoated semi gloss black with painted center caps. 20" is too much for me, changes handling and all..........................tint, in Florida is almost mandatory, sun is blazing str4ong, medium tint-looks dark with the black interior. Like I said, I had the car both ways- no comparison to me. To each his own, some guys like the garrish lips and aero kits which I think cheapen the look...............................

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by robfxlr
.but then again, PORSCHES generally do, RED, YELLOW, GT2, GT3, TURBO............they all basically do, depends mostly how you drive.....law enforcement credentials also help.he he..............

I agree...LMAO!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I say do it...including the tail lights, tips and badge (or de-badge)....

Pure Hotness

Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 AM

Can I have an option c) Troubled cute women that like intimidating men who have hot black cars?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
It does attract attention from cops IMO. I was stopped 3 times in three months for various non moving violation reasons to just bust my *****. I like it a little blacked out, but my wheels are factory and still have the silver rim. I had to remove the side window tint as I was stopped a month after I had it put on and received a fix-a-ticket. I still haven't decided if I want to put the tint back on and take the chance or not..it's 50/50 whether I'm going to take it off all the windows or put it back on the sides.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 04-14-2010 at 01:16 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of blacking out my car