997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 IPD Plenum Install....

Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM
davidkuola is on a distinguished road
Kenneth, the mechanic who helped me to install (about an hour)an IPD Plenum to my 2011 997S w/PDK on last Monday. I really can feel the faster throttle response. And more important, it did offer more of the lower end torque which is crucial to the not very impressive factory's 310 Ld-Ft of Torque.

The reason I like the IPD Plenum is that this mod won't need to coordinate with other aftermarket parts, no complications, and the cost is just inexpensive. After have driving the car over 50 miles, you know the money is well spent. I vouch the IPD Plenum.

I plan to get a full tune to my car, and there are ways to burn $$$. For whoever only wants to get a "light" modification, IPD Plenum is the first step to go and may be followed by the mufflers (sound only) according to each one's budget.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 AM
911 Molar is on a distinguished road
photos, instructions for install

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Recently DIY install on the IPD plenum.
Difficult install - 4 hours due to hard to reach areas and a "lot of feel" required. Do not rush the process.
Greg at IPD was incredibly helpfull in the process and an allround great guy. A pleasure to work with in the process.
The results are good. I however have the CF dual Y pipe air intake and X pipe installed so I didn't feel the immediate 15 bhp etc. However, there is improved torque leading upto the 4000RPM where the porscha gets going.
There is certainly improved air flow and ultimately it is a requirement to improve your porscha.
Its a beautifully, engineered piece of equipment and looks great in the engine bay.
I did enjoy the process, but I would strongly recommend a mechanically minded person to do the install be it DIY or P mechanic.
NOw a tasty molar remap to opitmise the hardware.
Here comes GT3 territory - 430 bhp +

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 AM
erayd8 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by davidkuola
Kenneth, the mechanic who helped me to install (about an hour)an IPD Plenum to my 2011 997S w/PDK on last Monday. I really can feel the faster throttle response. And more important, it did offer more of the lower end torque which is crucial to the not very impressive factory's 310 Ld-Ft of Torque.

The reason I like the IPD Plenum is that this mod won't need to coordinate with other aftermarket parts, no complications, and the cost is just inexpensive. After have driving the car over 50 miles, you know the money is well spent. I vouch the IPD Plenum.

I plan to get a full tune to my car, and there are ways to burn $$$. For whoever only wants to get a "light" modification, IPD Plenum is the first step to go and may be followed by the mufflers (sound only) according to each one's budget.
Can you PM me the place in Pasadena you got your ipd installed and the price you paid for in labor? Thanks.

Last edited by erayd8; 03-05-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
IPD why dont you put up some install video or detailed pictures?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
probably got something to do with the difficiulty as a DIY

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
IPD DFI Plenum Installation

Greetings 997.2 viewers,

We are definitely trying to discourage DIY customers from attempting the install of any DFI application. It's difficult for us to gauge each customer technical aptitude and mechanical inclination so we play it safe and advise that all installs be performed by a trained Porsche technician who is familiar with Porsche engines.

Like all other IPD Plenum installs, the DFI Plenum is an R & R (Remove and Reinstall) procedure. Although the DFI install is still considerably easier than any of the Turbo applications there are still a couple of hurdles that make it less than user friendly for DIY customers.

Removing the factory intake is simple enough but getting the IPD Plenum properly positioned and seated into the rubber oval boots that connect the Plenum to the factory manifold can be challenging at best.

Removal of the factory actuator from the factory intake is easy enough but removing it without breaking requires a firm but controlled hand. Getting the hoses and lines disconnected and re-connected is relatively strait forward, especially is you are familiar with Porsche’s “Squeeze Pull” style connectors.

We do have an “official” installation guide for the DIY customers who welcome a challenge and prefer wrenching in the garage over hanging out in the Porsche service department. So if you’re on the fence about whether to install the DFI IPD Plenum yourself or send it to you local dealer or Porsche tuning shop you may want to contact us for the installation guide and compare mechanical aptitude tests with your fellow 6 Speeders.

Thanks again to 911 Molar for his contributions. It was a pleasure helping you through the process and I’m glad you share the same customer satisfaction as all the other IPD DFI Plenum customers. Thank you to everyone else for all the interest and consideration.

We should finally have DFI Plenums back in stock by the end of this week.

Cheers,
IPD Greg

Name:  OEvsIPDIntakes.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  IPDPlenumInstalled.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  79.3 KB

Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Dan911C4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please send me any tips or guide on installing your IDP plenum on my 2015 Porsche Carrera 4 991?

I've done supercharger system and turbos on other cars so I'm well aware of proper sealing. I remember using electrical contact cleaner to check the seal tightness after install. The 991 is blind on the back side so looks like it will need a mirror check on the seal placement.

*Any steps or guides from your experience that would make this more likely successful would be appriciated.

I've not found much DIY installs documented except for this discussion.

*One other question is why is the long bolt included in the kit called "A/c Replacement Bracket Bolt"? Is there some clearance issue?

Hopefully there a a little change of heart here on providing DIY installer instruction or tips to reach success.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Trouble Report

Looks like I have the wrong IPD plenum for my 2015 3,4L 991 C4 PDK.

The part number was IPD Plenum DFI Porsche Carrera 991 3.4L 91482-3.4
There is no flapper valve or control assembly on the stock plenum. See image

Any recommendation? or should I return it? Thanks for any advice!

I bought the IPD off Amazon to save a couple of bucks. Maybe Porsche has a couple of different plenum configurations or my kit is missing flapper controls.

The plenum removal is easy after getting the car back side half apart. release the clamps and wires, and Lub up the seal with WD-40, let it soak, and pull up and back and the plenum pops out. I was being careful because I expected the flapper control lines to get tight. When it fell in my hands so easy I knew something was wrong.

Sent issue reports to both Amazon and IPD too.

Last edited by Dan911C4; 12-21-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Dan, you're posting in the 997 forum.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Sorry, this was the best discussion area I found on the IPD plenum DIY install. The 997 and 991 and the same from the install prospective.

Update is IPD did quickly respond to the issue and will be sending me the correct plenum for the N/A 3.4L. I was very glad they make one for this engine.

My purchase decision was based on that I've done sub sonic velocity air mass flow modeling and design for piping systems. The features of the IPD design will increase volumetric air flow efficency into the cylinders feed tubes. Plenum has less turbulence with the flow diverter and dimples reduce boundary friction which can be quantified by fluid mechanics analysis.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:40 PM
Update

IPD did a quick turn around on getting the plenum for the N/A 991 3.4 liter.

The delta is the S plenum has the internal flapper valve and N/A plenum does not. Lot of WD-40 on the seals and the stock plenum pops out.

Because the 991 engine is 2.5 inches forward than the 997, the engine needs dropped down 2 inches to get the bolt out. The bolt is very long and hits the underside of the body cross member. I added a couple of images in the video.

Change is due that the high socket head bolt to hits so they send a lower hex head to clear the plenum.

INSTALL VIDEO COLLECTION:

Unboxing:

Part 1- This is the air sensor swap out..

Part 2 - A/C bolt swap and plenum fit check

Part 3 - Install and Sealing in the Plenum

Part 4 - Finish up and start up -

Bonus Feature 1- Center cross-pipe install

Bonus Feature 2 - Side Side Silencers Install

Bunus Feature 3 - Factory Sebring Exhaust Tip Fitting Install

Very Fun Winter Project

Last edited by Dan911C4; 02-09-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Updated Video Links