997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TPC inactive...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Hyperlite is on a distinguished road
TPC inactive...

My warning light says my TPC is inactive. I just had new tires placed by a Porsche reputable garage and the warning light came on. Will the light eventually go off after driving the new tires for awhile, or is this possibly the pressure monitoring sensor or battery? I tried reseting the TPC system but no luck. Any advice from those who have experienced this would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
OCT
OCT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hyperlite
My warning light says my TPC is inactive. I just had new tires placed by a Porsche reputable garage and the warning light came on. Will the light eventually go off after driving the new tires for awhile, or is this possibly the pressure monitoring sensor or battery? I tried reseting the TPC system but no luck. Any advice from those who have experienced this would be appreciated.
Did you get TPC light on before?
The battery usually last like 4-5years, after that, you have to replace the sensors.
I have the same issue before (on and off), now the battery is completely dead...
I try to find some shops to replace the sensors, but they all tell me I need to go to dealer for that job, cuz it needs to be programed to receive the pressure....
Is that true?
Do I have to go to the dealer for that job or any shop can do it?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
I recently had my tires "flipped" and it took the system about 1-2 minutes to "relearn"
Should not take more than a drive home.
If the car is more than 5-6 years you could have a dead battery and might new TPM as the batteries are sealed.
2 different frequencies for the 997 , make sure you get the right one

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
OCT
Originally Posted by tiyyara
I recently had my tires "flipped" and it took the system about 1-2 minutes to "relearn"
Should not take more than a drive home.
If the car is more than 5-6 years you could have a dead battery and might new TPM as the batteries are sealed.
2 different frequencies for the 997 , make sure you get the right one
How do I check which frequence is for my car?
Do I need to go to the porsche dealer for that?
I heard about those sensors required software to program...
Or they are just plug and play?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
I think the 997.2 has 433 Mhz. You can look up your part on some of the board sponsors here. Or call suncoast porsche they are very helpful. I got TPMS from them about 2 years ago ( for a second set of rims).

Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Hyperlite is on a distinguished road
Fortunately I CPO'd when I bought my 2008 C2S. Thus, TPMS will hopefully fall under warranty. Otherwise, from what I can tell it's abour $300 per wheel! Thanks for all the insight. Driving it last night around town unfortunately didn't reset the monitoring system. Cheers!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
chaycek is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Fortunately I CPO'd when I bought my 2008 C2S. Thus, TPMS will hopefully fall under warranty. Otherwise, from what I can tell it's abour $300 per wheel! Thanks for all the insight. Driving it last night around town unfortunately didn't reset the monitoring system. Cheers!
Mine were replaced under my CPO coverage.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM
OCT
If I buy the sensors from OEwheel, can I just bring them to any shops to install?
Does it need some software to program or just simple replacement?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
ecostellodo is on a distinguished road
Just install them, set the car's computer to learn, and drive.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM
OCT
Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Just install them, set the car's computer to learn, and drive.
thanks a alot!
My car is 997.1, so the sensors will be 433mhz?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 PM
rvc
rvc is on a distinguished road
My car is an '06 and has the 433mhz freq....buy them off ebay for way cheaper than the dealer and then have americas or discount tire install them for you. Simple

Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM
martyschu is on a distinguished road
I have a 2005 997.1 I don't think my car has sensors. Is there any way to tell? If not is the car set up to accept them if I install next time I change the tires? Any info would be much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by martyschu
I have a 2005 997.1 I don't think my car has sensors. Is there any way to tell? If not is the car set up to accept them if I install next time I change the tires? Any info would be much appreciated.
TPMS was an option in 05 - if you have a tire pressure graphic that shows up in your dash OBC (the on board computer) display then you have. If not then you don't. You could always check your option list too. Adding OEM TPMS probably could be done but I imagine it would be expensive since not only do you have to install the sensors in the wheels, there are receiver/transmitters in each wheel well plus wiring plus interface with the OBC, etc. - pretty costly I think.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
NO you do not need to go to the dealers to install this! Any tire / wheel shop should be able to swap your sensors out for you. No special coding / software necessary, the car picks it up on its own.

If the 'tpms inactive' does not go away after 5 minutes or so that means the sensors are done. Thats kind of how they are...working one minute dead the next.

As for the costs, you can get all 4 sensors (buy aftermarket) for a total cost of $180. The install will cost you around $100 for all 4 wheels. Total job should be under $300! Good luck.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 AM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
I ordered NEW TPMS sensors and they came in hibernate mode. Had to take it to the dealer after the first two tire shops failed and couldn't initiate the new sensors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPC inactive...