997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 Michelin PS2 front and 2 Michelin SuperSport Rear ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
2 Michelin PS2 front and 2 Michelin SuperSport Rear ?

Hi guys,

My rear tires need to be replace and I really want to try the Michelin SuperSport but my front tires (80% tread left) are PS2.....how much trouble am I getting myself into if I replace my 2 rears PS2 with the SuperSport and the front stay PS2 ?

Old 08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Similar discussion going on in the 997 turbo section

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lot-sport.html

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
I would suggest changing all four if you want to make the switch to MPSS. Tirerack doesn't recommend mixing the front and rear tire types on Porsches.

It is also important to know that while Porsche N-specification tires have been fine tuned to meet the specific performance needs of Porsche vehicles, the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications. These tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires. Using tires that are not N-specific is not recommended and mixing them with other N-specification tires is not permissible.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
From the '08 Turbo Manual owners manual.

"Only tires with the same make and with the same specification code (e.g. “N0”, “N1”...) can be mounted. Before mounting new tires, check with your
Porsche dealer about the current release status. Use tires with “ZR” quality standards. There are currently no standards concerning tire strength at speeds above 150 mph (240 km/h). Tires should be replaced no less than on one axle at the time. Only tires of the same make and type must be used. Mixed tires are not permissible."

From the '11 Cayenne Turbo Manual:

If you do not use a Porsche recommended replacement tire, make sure that you purchase your new tires from a reputable tire dealer and that the dealer complies with all manufacturers warnings for those tires. Only tires with the same manufacturer and with the same specification code (e.g. "N0", "N1"... should be mounted on the vehicle. Before mounting new tires, check with your Porsche dealer about the current release status. Tires should be replaced no less that on one axle at the time. Only tires of the same make and type must be used. Mixed tires are not permissible and will affect vehicle performance, safety, and can affect vehicle warranty.

Personally I would never mix brands, N ratings or types on a car but have no problem with non-N rated tires as long as they match. I have non N Rated Super Sports on my GT2 (recently traded) and have a set here waiting for the arrival of my GT2RS.

I do know Porsche puts their "money where their mouth is" on this subject. My dealer had an instance where they had to replace 2 tires under warranty. The tire manufacturer had just switched from N0 to N1 so Porsche sent the dealer 4 N1 tires to replace 2 bad N0 tires so they would all match.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i had MPS2 all around previously.

When the rears wore out, I changed just the rears with the MPSS.

car feels great ! love the MPSS for the price.

i mixed MPS2 with Hankook one time and will never do that again.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...x-ps2-v12.html

but mixing two Michelins seems to be fine from day 1.

don't worry and go for it !

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks crazycarlitos. The pic on your Avatar looks like it was taken on a track day so can I assume your MPS2 (front) and MPSS (rear) experience were track day tested ?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowbee
Thanks crazycarlitos. The pic on your Avatar looks like it was taken on a track day so can I assume your MPS2 (front) and MPSS (rear) experience were track day tested ?
tire change was pretty recent (1 month) so no time on the track, yet, with the mixed tires.

however, i have driven them hard in the canyons couple of times and also very high speed straights en route to Vegas

They feel just as planted as the previous MPS2 i had.. and just as predictable.

I personally don't see the need to switch all 4 tires when ur front still has 80 % thread left. Switch the fronts out to MPSS when u need tires next time.

But if u are not sure, then just get the matching MPS2 rears for now and switch all four to MPSS next time.

Note*
I have not driven in wet conditions (since it rarely rains in SoCal during summer)

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 08-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i have driven them hard in the canyons couple of times and also very high speed straights en route to Vegas

They feel just as planted as the previous MPS2 i had.. and just as predictable.
Thanks, this is good enough for me....

Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't do it.