997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
I'd love to see the specs of your install and some pics! Please post it sometime! .
Electronics: Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT HU, JBL MS-8 processor, Mcintosh MC440M amp, JL XD600/1 sub amp
Speakers: Focal Utopia Be 7 3-ways, JL 13TW5 13" flat sub

I'll post pics at some point.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Sweet. Those Focal's must be awesome. So you aren't running rears at all. BTW, do you know the wiring of the Bose sub?

Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 AM
markiii is on a distinguished road
so my 4" coaxials finally arrived, are the tweeters adjustable from an angle perspective? as they are currently pointing down and seem imoveable, don't want to force the issue and break them

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Sweet. Those Focal's must be awesome. So you aren't running rears at all. BTW, do you know the wiring of the Bose sub?
Yeah, they're not bad.

I prefer a front stage only, don't really care for rear fill (although this is a personal preference).

All I have in my notes are:
Sub audio- orange/brown (neg), orange/orange (pos)

There should be a power+ and power-grnd (probably will be the thickest wires), and probably a remote wire as well.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Yeah, they're not bad.

I prefer a front stage only, don't really care for rear fill (although this is a personal preference).

All I have in my notes are:
Sub audio- orange/brown (neg), orange/orange (pos)

There should be a power+ and power-grnd (probably will be the thickest wires), and probably a remote wire as well.

Good luck!
I was actually surprised that having the rears hooked up is beneficial to the overall sound in the car. I definitely agree on a front sound stage as well, but the rear fill just seemed to work well.

Thanks for the notes on the wiring. I haven't looked at the plug yet. Tricky one is the remote wire that will turn on the amp. The power wires in pictures looked pretty beefy, as if they would support a decent amp. I'll see if I go the powered sub route. The sound is pretty good right now.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by markiii
so my 4" coaxials finally arrived, are the tweeters adjustable from an angle perspective? as they are currently pointing down and seem imoveable, don't want to force the issue and break them

I thought the same damn thing! I tried to push them and almost broke it off. Actually, the turn. They are angled, so you turn it on the axis to adjust the direction it is pointing. There is a very small note on it in the manual, but it is easy to miss. You've probably figured it out by the time you read this.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor
DelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud of
the focal 165 A3 SG are IMO the best option for the front speaker. if your using the factory amp you can drop them right in and we do offer speaker adapter plates out of 3/4 inch MDF to down size to a 6.5 from the stock 8.

399.99 on the speakers, 45.00 on the adapters and the factory crossovers on the bose amp is good enough.

also if your looking for a true 8 inch sound i carry the DYNAudio which work very well for an audiophile install.

Couple of pro tips.

1. buy from an authorized dealer the components on page one do not have the correct focal markings. be ware there is a lot of counterfeit focal online. only buy from an authorized dealer. (ebay and amazon are not authorized)

2. all speakers need an amp. the oem amp put out only 18-22w a channel most speakers require 75 watts or more RMS,

3. Remember its a Porsche and not a Honda. Spend your money correctly and do it right the first time.

4. Check phase on the speakers if the speakers are out of phase it will sound not as good bad phase reduces 40% of the sound and increases the distortion.

we have noticed that 65 percent of self installs we fix in store are simple phase issues. a phase meter is 65.00 and can be your best friend.

for more tips send me an email or if you're looking for a good deal on Focal hot me up we offer a 15% forum discount.

saturndrcmedia@gmail.com

Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor
DelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud of
six inch plates

8 inch plates

Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2013, 03:21 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DelReyCustoms
the focal 165 A3 SG are IMO the best option for the front speaker. if your using the factory amp you can drop them right in and we do offer speaker adapter plates out of 3/4 inch MDF to down size to a 6.5 from the stock 8.

399.99 on the speakers, 45.00 on the adapters and the factory crossovers on the bose amp is good enough.

also if your looking for a true 8 inch sound i carry the DYNAudio which work very well for an audiophile install.

Couple of pro tips.

1. buy from an authorized dealer the components on page one do not have the correct focal markings. be ware there is a lot of counterfeit focal online. only buy from an authorized dealer. (ebay and amazon are not authorized)

2. all speakers need an amp. the oem amp put out only 18-22w a channel most speakers require 75 watts or more RMS,

3. Remember its a Porsche and not a Honda. Spend your money correctly and do it right the first time.

4. Check phase on the speakers if the speakers are out of phase it will sound not as good bad phase reduces 40% of the sound and increases the distortion.

we have noticed that 65 percent of self installs we fix in store are simple phase issues. a phase meter is 65.00 and can be your best friend.

for more tips send me an email or if you're looking for a good deal on Focal hot me up we offer a 15% forum discount.

saturndrcmedia@gmail.com
Clarification please. Are you saying that the Dynaudio are also drop-ins similar to focals? If so, can you PM me your drop in price?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Shane, are you are agreeing there is much nenefit simply by dropping in upgraded speakers as ryem3 has done? 6.5 are better than 8" drivers for the doors? You wont be using the crossovers included with the focal 165's and instead just use the oem bose's amp crossovers? Do you usually turn off the rear speakers with your installs? D you also stick with the oem subs? Questions for the expert. Please shed light.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Shane, are you are agreeing there is much nenefit simply by dropping in upgraded speakers as ryem3 has done? 6.5 are better than 8" drivers for the doors? You wont be using the crossovers included with the focal 165's and instead just use the oem bose's amp crossovers? Do you usually turn off the rear speakers with your installs? D you also stick with the oem subs? Questions for the expert. Please shed light.
The 8 speakers by company's like dyn or morel are the best period but you will need and amp. those are for high end systems and will require an amp for those speakers and the people who are willing to spend money on high end amplifiers.

I do carry the dyn speakers and the adapter rings on the 997, we on the 4 inch just use a slightly longer screw....the driver is fully enclosed.

now for a basic upgrade the Acess speakers by Focal with an adapter ring work well using the stock bose amp crossovers

for example it better to put 40 watts to the doors off the bose amp than 20 watts if anything you can use a 3.8 ohm cap in line of the tweeter. we have found once install the speakers off the focal are sometime out of phase about 35-40% of the time

we check all installs with a phase meter

PAC TLPTG2 is a cheep phase teseter we carry for the DIY'er for 45.00 shipped. this small investment can make or break a system

but yeah your better off on a basic install to go direct and ditch the crossover

we normally seperate a 4 inch caoxal for the rear speaker on entry level installs and mout them to the stock tear drop ill look for some photos to see if i have this mod.

feel free to look in our build and install threads

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Couple of pro tips.

saturndrcmedia@gmail.com
Well, well, 100 replies on the thread and you see there is some interest. I've appreciated your help and now see there are some things I wished you would have shared with me earlier. I would offer some "amateur" suggestions and corrections:
1. First point of some offense. Don't know what you're talking about. Fully factory Focal speakers from an authorized dealer. Don't really care about proving it. Happy to share with others where I got them. And it wasn't eBay.

2. Now that I'm trying to get over 1, you suggested using Focal speakers with the Bose amp. Now you suggest otherwise. The stock Bose amp will drive the speakers to very high volume levels. TTSurgeon on the 997TT board heard the system. Happy for others to audition in the NY area. I heard this over and over, yet the results speak for themselves.

3. Correct. Yet it won't take much to improve on the Bose system.

4. Agree on the phasing. Carefully followed and consistently hooked up the speakers. However, getting a phase meter would be a good idea.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
The 8 speakers by company's like dyn or morel are the best period but you will need and amp. those are for high end systems and will require an amp for those speakers and the people who are willing to spend money on high end amplifiers.

I do carry the dyn speakers and the adapter rings on the 997, we on the 4 inch just use a slightly longer screw....the driver is fully enclosed.

now for a basic upgrade the Acess speakers by Focal with an adapter ring work well using the stock bose amp crossovers

for example it better to put 40 watts to the doors off the bose amp than 20 watts if anything you can use a 3.8 ohm cap in line of the tweeter. we have found once install the speakers off the focal are sometime out of phase about 35-40% of the time

we check all installs with a phase meter

PAC TLPTG2 is a cheep phase teseter we carry for the DIY'er for 45.00 shipped. this small investment can make or break a system

but yeah your better off on a basic install to go direct and ditch the crossover

we normally seperate a 4 inch caoxal for the rear speaker on entry level installs and mout them to the stock tear drop ill look for some photos to see if i have this mod.

feel free to look in our build and install threads
Uh, not sure what to say here.
Dynaudio speakers in the midrange? Those don't fit in the door slots. I suppose they can be mounted; I'd love to see the trim ring. You can see from my install pics very clearly that the Focal coax easily mounts in the slot if you cut off 2 tabs.

Focal Access will work with the stock Bose crossovers? The tweeters and mids are on the same wires. The Bose crossover for the tweeter is a high pass filter. Same as on an Integration tweeter. If you get the fancier 3 ways, what do you do with the external crossover?

Integrations have built in crossovers, just like the Bose speakers. Makes for an easy install.

"we normally seperate a 4 inch caoxal for the rear speaker on entry level installs and mout them to the stock tear drop ill look for some photos to see if i have this mod" Really? I'm not sure how you would mount one. Even after you cut off the speaker basket tabs, you would need to cut up the Bose tear drop to allow the speaker access. Then It would not sit flush, nor would it be sealed. Look at Redwine702's professional install. Clearly you need to fab a mounting plate to do it right (this is a Porsche, right?) Looking forward to your pics.

Last edited by ryem3; 09-17-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 PM
the focal 165 A3 SG are IMO the best option for the front speaker.

399.99 on the speakers, 45.00 on the adapters
To use these, the user would need to find a way to use the external crossover or cludge a cap into the tweeter to mimic the high pass filter used in the Bose tweeters. Otherwise, mount the external crossover in the door I guess. Not sure if the wires to the tweeters actually come into the doors before going to the tweeters - if not, you would need to find a way to wire the tweeters into the doors to reach the external crossover box.

Glad to see you are offering the community a good deal on the adapters.

Last edited by ryem3; 09-17-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: correction on availability
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Redwine702's rear install, although this installer looks to have used fiberboard instead of ABS.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1377022911

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15