997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Ryem3, im just waiting for the speakers to arrive. I will install them as you have suggested. Almost all the same with your set up. Polyglass 4" for the doors and IS 200 with the 8" drivers. I will keep the ones at the rear and probable just fade to provide real fill. Dnt want to remove the rear panels as it might be tricky.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Ryem3, im just waiting for the speakers to arrive. I will install them as you have suggested. Almost all the same with your set up. Polyglass 4" for the doors and IS 200 with the 8" drivers. I will keep the ones at the rear and probable just fade to provide real fill. Dnt want to remove the rear panels as it might be tricky.
Should be a very good move. Good luck with the install and hope you enjoy them. Let me know how you make out.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
For sure you will know. And hopefully it will be as well installed as yours. Only thing is i will get it 30 days from now so still some time to get ideas. Brother, did you have to put sound deadening mats on the doors with the speaker upgrade?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, I heard the system, sounds spectacular to me. Great volume!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Brother, did you have to put sound deadening mats on the doors with the speaker upgrade?
Didn't bother. That stuff is very expensive.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryem3
Didn't bother. That stuff is very expensive.
Dynamat can get costly. As an alternative, I used to use flashing rolls from Lowes.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM
10sqr ft of fat mat for $20 isnt bad is it? Was thinking the 8 inchndrivers, due tomthe different design might cause some rattle. And as an added bonus it might improve the funny sound when we close our doors. 997.2 doors close with a branggg nut a thud.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by cab83_750

Dynamat can get costly. As an alternative, I used to use flashing rolls from Lowes.
Flashing rolls - never heard of that. Please post a link to what it is!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
Roofer's flashing.

Dynamat's business model is basically to buy super inexpensive bitumen flashing (a roll of bitumen stuck to a piece of foil), spend a bunch on marketing, then mark it up 10,000%.

Sound deadening material is nothing more than a roll of bitumen, a sticky and heavy petroleum product (asphalt basically) with a foil backing to prevent the wrong side from sticking to things.

It is heavy, by design, so keep in mind that deadening your car is going to undo some of that lightening many of us do..

Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryem3
Flashing rolls - never heard of that. Please post a link to what it is!
I think the S.asianM explained it.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM
i agree. i guess if rye did not have any problems with rattling then i wont do it. give credit to those who know. when things get installed i will surely share my feedback, good or bad

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 PM
i agree. i guess if rye did not have any problems with rattling then i wont do it. give credit to those who know. when things get installed i will surely share my feedback, good or bad
In addition to solving any rattling that "may" exist, there are benefits to adding sound deadening materials. However, we have Porsches and we aren't pursuing competition grade audio. My recommendation is to not use the material due to the added weight.

After a few months, you may start having rattles. If so, then revisit the use of it!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM
The damping material won't do much for rattles. Make sure your drivers are well seated and sealed in the locations. If they aren't secure, then they can rattle. Insulation will quiet the cabin to improve the listening experience.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Btw, thanks for all the contributions on the thread! I'm happy to have logged my 2000th post on this thread!

If you've found it useful, pass on some rep points! Look forward to hearing results from others!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Brother, did you have to put sound deadening mats on the doors with the speaker upgrade?
I did. But I wouldn't bother on a budget installation, there's no point. The real purpose of the damping material on door panels is to reduce vibrations that a) rattle or b) color the sound by resonance. When panels resonate, they producing out-of-phase peaks in the frequency response - and sound terrible.

I used to experiment with roofing materials, like someone else suggested. That's a great idea if you're trying to save money. But keep in mind that many roofing materials have a strong odor (of tar) and they may not have durable adhesive for applying to metal. If the material peels off slowly over time, the dampening performance is significantly reduced.

Unfortunately, what this means is the best solution is still the stuff made for car audio. They're expensive, and not worth it for a budget installation. Some dampening products will also weigh more per square foot, and they have different vibration reduction properties depending on the temperature and desire dampening frequency.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15