997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by markiii

I suspect many people have come to the conclusion I did.

I decided the BOSE was ****, looked at the speaker fit and the fact they had unknown impedance and kind of lost the will to push the boundaries further for fear of killing something expensive (i.e the amp)

I was also concerned that its not clear how the crossover wiring is done on the stock BOSE and most aftermarket speakers come with a crossover block that would need integrating somewhere.

However these particular Focal speakers make it pretty much a drop in solution

After a couple of long roadtrips this year its pitiful just how bad the BOSE is.

fortunately this thread came along at the same time my interest in fixing the problem re-emerged.

so looks like I'm going shopping
All of the alleged comments about fancy eq and crossovers in the Bose system did not seem to be borne out by this install. Noting the high pass capacitors in the Bose tweeters really convinced me. I don't know everything, only what I've installed. If there is a white paper on the Bose system, I'd love to read it.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
wont it burn anything like the amp?
Naturally I could not possibly guaranty that anything won't happen. However this install really showed me that this seems to be just another car stereo. Changing speakers is not rocket science. The integration line from Focal is engineered with factory replacement in mind. I'm sure other mfgs must offer similar solutions.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
From the pictures it seems that the door woofer is a passive radiator as yoi mentioned...does it have any electrical connections? You did not include pictures of the 6.5 woofer install brother.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
From the pictures it seems that the door woofer is a passive radiator as yoi mentioned...does it have any electrical connections? You did not include pictures of the 6.5 woofer install brother.
Yes it is wired as a woofer, the design is just unusual and I believe I actually misspoke-it is not a passive radiator. Check evhudsons thread. The woofer install is well detailed. I would just be adding the same pics and instructions.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:09 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Rye, i think you just tickled so many of our brother here who finallynhear that a simple speaker swap is all that is needed to improve the sound of our supposedly complex bose sound system. Have you thought about just pulling the sub woofer and placing s powered sub like infinity bass link or something like that. Im sure it provides bigger fuller sound

Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
there must be a downside or else everyone would have done this upgrade vs all the other upgrades that have been discussed in the forum so far.
I think this is a great budget install, but I don't think anyone is expecting it to compare to a high-end competition system!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
I have found about audio that bigger drivers do not always mean better base. Smaller drivers have more speed and more travel, often resulting in better punch than a big driver that travels very little.
Base from the 6.5" focals is very good, I don't think there would be much benefit from an 8", but I could be wrong.
For a 6.5" driver, especially if you're running it semi-infinite baffle, it is almost impossible to achieve useful, undistorted bass output in the bottom octave or so. I have never heard any loudspeaker system (at home or in car) based on a 6.5" midwoofer that didn't need an additional subwoofer. Out of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion on?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Gasongasoff, i think for most of us, we do not want to achieve competition sound fromp a budget install. Anything say 3 or 4 clicks better than that damned bose system would alsready be sufficient. Our cars are not for loud listening with bass booming and ear defeaning highs. Just crisp crystal clear full bodied sound....you think a simple speaker upgrade to the bose system can do this? Seldom can we get "wine taste for beer money" with anything with a porsche but maybe just something better than beer would be good enough

Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I wish for something as simple as what i didi to my w140 merc. Awful sound system i tell you. But, upgraded to a pioneed hu and an infinity basslink at the back and all is now fine. Full clear sound, from the oem speakers! It wasnt a bose system! You should see the mercs oem tweeters, beautiful construction and angled for bounce. Simple upgrade but huge improvement. Not competition but good enough. Hope this upgrade can do that for the bose because i think im doing this and really hope gasongasoff can share a few more insights because i feel he knows his audio.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Rye, i think you just tickled so many of our brother here who finallynhear that a simple speaker swap is all that is needed to improve the sound of our supposedly complex bose sound system. Have you thought about just pulling the sub woofer and placing s powered sub like infinity bass link or something like that. Im sure it provides bigger fuller sound
Ah, but then it wouldn't be a budget install.
I AM thinking about stuffing the subwoofer as mentioned in another thread. Should tighten up the bass, just what I'm after. Actually, I'm surprised by the size of the stock sub, something really good could go into that space. Someone else needs to try a powered sub and report the benefits! I don't even know, is the feed to the sub a line out?

I was cruising online and found that Focal makes a really cool, flat sub. It is a bit smaller than the Bose, but would fit nicely. I think it is new and doesn't seem to be distributed to the US, however. Maybe it will come.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I think this is a great budget install, but I don't think anyone is expecting it to compare to a high-end competition system!
Very true. That's why it would be hard to "rate" the budget system. I would say that the Bose sounds pretty much like most factory stereos I've heard. I would also say that the upgraded system sounds better than most factory units I've heard, including Premium option systems.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
For a 6.5" driver, especially if you're running it semi-infinite baffle, it is almost impossible to achieve useful, undistorted bass output in the bottom octave or so. I have never heard any loudspeaker system (at home or in car) based on a 6.5" midwoofer that didn't need an additional subwoofer. Out of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion on?
I'm not an expert on car audio. However, I still notice that the Focal Be component system that is just a 2 way and costs $5000, still relies on a 6.5" driver.

I would say that I'm still running the Bose subwoofer and it integrates very well. I was expecting the reduced efficiency of the Focals might result in bloated sound because the sub would be overdriven. I'm really happy to say that did not happen. If you use more expensive speakers, you run a greater risk of reduced efficiency and a mismatch with the sub. The Focals I used were about 90db, as I indicated.

Anyway, as for home audio, you can certainly reach below 30hz with 6.5" drivers. Check out Aerial Acoustics. New model, 7t, 7.1" drivers and clean to 25hz. That's only one example. I have 7b's and they are certainly below 30hz with 2 6.5" woofers. However, they have well braced cabinets that are 2" thick and weigh 100lbs each! Their top speakers only use 9" drivers and cost $32,000 a pair. Most high end speakers don't use 12" drivers anymore, they don't have the speed of smaller ones. Sure, there are exceptions to every comment - I know there are makers running 15" drivers, but they are really the exception.

I would never run a sub for high end audio. Certainly there are $2000+ subs worth their weight, but I still don't like them. I use a sub only for home theater. Sure, there you want the walls to rattle when the bombs drop. Unless it's really good, it just makes music muddy.

That's the best part of the upgrade, it has made the mid bass tight and punchy. Much punchier than the Bose. You feel the impact of the kick drums. Big difference than the muddy deep bass from the sub. That's exactly what I was after. If you want big, booming bass, this upgrade isn't going to give it to you. What is most surprising is that the little 4" Focals are pretty punchy themselves, never would have guessed it.

Running 8's instead of 6.5s? Could be better. Probably won't be worse!

Last edited by ryem3; 09-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Hmm, maybe the focal integration ibus 20...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Hey rye, you just made me spend $190 on a focal is200. I think i will stick with this first. And see if there is really an improvement as you mentioned. Of course we will need to stuff that sub with fiberglass to clean up the sound and lessen the boom. Hopefully those 2 items would create what i need though for sure the mids front and rear will not be new so we will see or rather we will hear the effect. You mentioned breaking in of the speakers...thats new to me. I think i will be more inclined with cheaper alternatives specially for the rear fills.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 AM
markiii is on a distinguished road
I have a targa so have the footwell sub rather than the rear shelf one, but it has a very small amp in there behind the driver, so I would say its fed by a line level output

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
After reading some more about sound upgrade i now feel it might not be as easy as i first thought. Gasongasoff seems to know audio and i am starting to believe that it might not just be a speaker upgrade. Ryem3's alpine tweeter discovery might be the only thing i will do. I have an is200 coming but might not be inclined to put it on as it mit not be balanced with everything else. And bring a component set i dont want to install just the tweeters. Will report after installing the tweeters

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 AM
markiii is on a distinguished road
whats your concern?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15