997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
OpieT is on a distinguished road
Well done!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
im now seriously thinking about this upgrade but like i said experience is the best teacher and rye has the best experience now.
i really hope you do not mind the questions brother but you have heard the difference in the sound. i have a 997.2 and would like to follow your lead as the bose system sucks. would the is200 work better as it has 8" drivers? are the focals the best option in your opinion. bucks vs quality wise.
the 100cvx looks like a good option unless after the install you would have saved oney by just using 1 set for the doors and a different cheaper option for the rears. please allow me to learn from your experience.
Don't know on the 8"as I haven't heard them. Shane thought they were a lot better. Some even run without the midrange. (Evhudson did) The rear is tough as it is a component 3" speaker in the Bose system. Focals seem to be popular and are good quality. I always liked Alpine personally.
There are very few 8" 2 way options. Not sure I would spend $1000 on a replacement solution.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
right now thinking using cvx100 for the doors and 100ca! for the rears and is 200 integration speakers...whats your opinion on these?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
is200 and is 165 are only $10 apart

Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
is200 and is 165 are only $10 apart
How much? Where? Iss200 are like $350. Would be a good choice, but I got the 165 for $180.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 AM
the concern now would be longetivity of the system. rye what is your call on the impedance of the speakers not being the same as the original bose? yes these things will output sound and they may be good but wont it burn anything like the amp? there must be a downside or else everyone would have done this upgrade vs all the other upgrades that have been discussed in the forum so far.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
markiii is on a distinguished road
lowering impedance is a sure fire way to kill an amp

raising it i think will just make it quieter

Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by markiii
lowering impedance is a sure fire way to kill an amp

raising it i think will just make it quieter
Indeed. Lower impedence should be harder to drive, higher should be easier on the amp. The Bose speakers had a nominal impedance of only 2 ohms. I certainly figured I couldn't kill the speakers with the amp. Very hard to kill an amp, even if you clip it all day long. And I've been surprised that the amp doesn't clip even at fairly high volume.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM
there must be a downside or else everyone would have done this upgrade vs all the other upgrades that have been discussed in the forum so far.
Good question... ;-)

Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey rye on a gauge of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, where would you rate your previous bose system and your current system with the speaker mods?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Will follow your lead brother. Ordered is200 and same 4 inch component but a slightly lower priced rear 4"ers. But really curious how well it sounds and downside. Calling all sound experts....

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Will follow your lead brother. Ordered is200 and same 4 inch component but a slightly lower priced rear 4"ers. But really curious how well it sounds and downside. Calling all sound experts....
presume you mean 4"coax for the front. I hope you have coordinated types to get similar efficiencies. Good luck with it! Building your own door spacers? I used sheet abs for the rears, will be interested to see how you do it.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Good question... ;-)

I suspect many people have come to the conclusion I did.

I decided the BOSE was ****, looked at the speaker fit and the fact they had unknown impedance and kind of lost the will to push the boundaries further for fear of killing something expensive (i.e the amp)

I was also concerned that its not clear how the crossover wiring is done on the stock BOSE and most aftermarket speakers come with a crossover block that would need integrating somewhere.

However these particular Focal speakers make it pretty much a drop in solution

After a couple of long roadtrips this year its pitiful just how bad the BOSE is.

fortunately this thread came along at the same time my interest in fixing the problem re-emerged.

so looks like I'm going shopping

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I used sheet abs for the rears, will be interested to see how you do it.
am I right in saying the ABS sheet had to be put and located at the back of the factory plastic surround? or the grill won't go back on?

being coaxials were they ok for clearance on the tweeter to the grill?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by markiii

am I right in saying the ABS sheet had to be put and located at the back of the factory plastic surround? or the grill won't go back on?

being coaxials were they ok for clearance on the tweeter to the grill?
Sorry if I wasn't detailed enough. You need to pull the rear panel. The speakers will fit no problem, but you will need to mount them to a custom plate and attach them to the rear of the panel. The factory grill will fit no problem. Check my pics. You can't simply stick speakers in the rear using the existing speaker mounts.

Last edited by ryem3; 09-03-2013 at 09:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15