997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rottec DRL's not working/signals/fogs are working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
Rottec DRL's not working/signals/fogs are working?

Gentleman... I purchased some Rottec DRL led's from a trusted forum member last week. Upon receiving them today, I installed them properly plugging in all 3 connectors per side...

Im wondering if im missing something, as both sides will not light up the DRL light bar (middle area) of the lights.

The turns and fogs work perfectly, but no drl's. ??

The seller who is the original owner has been great with communications and has offered me to return them for refund, but I wanted to reach out to see what im missing, if any, in this supposed plug and play installation.

The seller states he was running a DRL module on his previous car and im not familiar with utilizing such a module... (I was not under the impression this was needed for the drl's to work).

bottom line... no matter what... I cannot get the drl's to fire.

Please offer any suggestions as to what can be checked/done to offer a resolve to these led's.

Thank you!

PB.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
997.1 does not have DRLs at all, and calling the foglights/signals DRLs is a bit of a misnomer. If they come on when you switch on the Fogs, they're working properly.

All a DRL module does is turns on the fogs when the car is running. There are various mods to do this with and without special modules.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 PM
chudso will become famous soon enough
The middle bar won't light up if one of the plugs is in upside down. I think it's the middle plug, but I'm not positive. You still need a module for them to work like actual drls, but the light should come on when you turn on the fog lights.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the feedback Mr. Secret Asian Man.

The area where im stuck is this.... ive seen videos of these lights, and it appears to me there is indeed the middle section of these drl's which does indeed light up...

Not the fogs, which are the lower portion of these, but the middle area, which appears as a solid clear looking strip between a quarter and 3/8's of an inch wide/tall.

seeing videos on the net of rottec, im simply confused regarding their function at this time..

thank you for any clarification.... so, if 3 connections are needed on these lights...(same as the oem units), why am I getting only 2 functions, where oem functions as 3? (city lights, fogs, and turns).

thank you...

PB

Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I think the bar will turn on when you turn the light switch on without pulling out for the fog lights to turn on. There is one connection which can be plugged in two different ways, try turning it around and it should work.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by chudso
The middle bar won't light up if one of the plugs is in upside down. I think it's the middle plug, but I'm not positive. You still need a module for them to work like actual drls, but the light should come on when you turn on the fog lights.

Thanks Chud for your feedback!

Like I said...I only have 2 functions on a 3 function system.
The connections appear to be directional....(only one way to plug them in).

So... heres the question.... lets say the headlights are turned into the on position.... Am I to assume the DRL center "strip" should be on as well w/o running a module?.

any of the rottec vid's ive seen show the center "solid" area of these lights lit up. after all, there are 3 connections in our stock turn signal/fog wiring harness.

trying to better understand our lighting.

thanks...

PB

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I think the bar will turn on when you turn the light switch on without pulling out for the fog lights to turn on. There is one connection which can be plugged in two different ways, try turning it around and it should work.

Sweet Jesus! I cant believe if that is the case... I plugged in both sides incorrectly!??!!

ok... ill go out and re-verify my connections... but it didn't appear the connectors were bi-directional.

Anyone else on this??

Thanks Chud!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 PM
No problem, lemme know if it works.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
epik high is on a distinguished road
This is correct. I just installed some eBay LED drl's on an 06 c2s.

When you turn the lights on normally the middle led bar will be lit as well

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys....

Chud...went out and inspected all plug ins, and they are all directional....cannot flip the connectors as they only go one way.

so, when I turn my headlights on, nothing lights up in the middle. I cant get the middle to light up at all.

frustrating.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
All...so I switched around the stock center connection as you had suggested, and all is working now. what I don't get is how the p.o's car worked with them the other way around?

Thanks for the help.

PB.