997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
lenny is on a distinguished road
Winter Storage

Well winter and snow is upon us and I need to get my car prepared for it's winter storage. I know a number of you think I should just drive it all winter but once the snow hits NY the roads are filled with salt, sand, potholes, crazy drivers in SUVs, etc., etc., etc. I have an extra car so storing my 05 Cab is not an issue other than I will miss driving i. I have read everyone's advice for storage so I will be having the oil changed, topping off the fuel, having a full detail inside and out, using an indoor car cover, filling the tires to 50 PSI, putting foam under the wiper arms, and steel wool in the exhaust. I have a few additional questions;

- Do I need to use a fuel stabilizer? If so, any recommendations?

- Do I need to put the tires in cradles to prevent flat spots?

- I intend to trickle charge the battery but need advice as to what to buy. Since the car will be covered do I need to concern myself with ventilation for the battery or charger?

Any other advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
PM Trozenhorse....he is in Montreal, and he stores his Porsche every winter...He knows the scoop

Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 PM
P997C2S is on a distinguished road
If you're storing the car for longer then two-three months I would use Sta-Bil in the fuel tank. Run the tank near empty, add the Sta-Bil to the tank at the gas station and fill the tank. Then drive the car for a few miles so the Sta-Bil gets throughly mixed in with the fuel.

Do not use a "trickle charger" as it will overcharge the battery and reduce its lifespan or kill it completely. Get either the Porsche Battery Maintainer, the Battery Tender or the Acumate charger. Personally I would just get the Porsche Battery Maintainer.

Acumate Charger

Battery Tender

Porsche Battery Maintainer

Sta-Bil

Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
trozenhorse is on a distinguished road
all the correct advice...battery maintainer, tire pressure, full tank, oil car cover...here they dont recommend any additive in the tank but they do recommend starting the car every couple of weeks and just moving it around if possible and leave the windows open a little bit on both sides to have ventialtion and circualtion in the car, better for the leather etc to breath...my 3rd season and no problems, oh yeah when you let it run, let it go for about 10 minutes at least till regualr idle...... best Ted

Old 12-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I would not start it unless you can drive it for at least 15-20 miles at highway speeds to throughly heat the oil up.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if it's on your list but don't set the hand brake.

Some other helpful links on winter storage:

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Most of the info you need is right in your Porsche manual:

Attached Images