997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

serpentine belt change yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
serpentine belt change yet?

I know the service time calls for 6 years (only 20K on my car) on the belt but would you guys even bother with such low mileage? Any experience on low mile failures?
Thanks to tiyyarra for his DIY on this service
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lt-change.html

Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, most definitely. Cheap ($52 oem Porsche belt from Pelican) and a good insurance against most unpleasant problems.

Check my web site: http://murenae.com/cars-porsche-2/

Very easy to do.

Yves

Old 02-29-2016, 10:20 AM
JCD911S is just really niceJCD911S is just really niceJCD911S is just really niceJCD911S is just really nice
Time or mileage, so since you're at the 6 year mark, change it. Rubber degrades over time, so despite not having physical wear from the low mileage, the material itself may start to exhibit some deterioration and cracking. And as mentioned above, it's cheap enough to avoid the hassle of it breaking or shredding unexpectedly.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Don't really see a problem extending the service life another two to three years on low mileage cars. Actually I think low mileage but used rubber is better than a new unused rubber that's been kept in storage a couple of years. Plus that saying if it ain't broke....

Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I changed mine at around 40k and 6 years since I was able to find some cracking as well as a couple of missing chunks in the belt on the ribbed side... about the size of a BB. Certainly not as low miles as yours, but I could buy into the thought that these were age-related. Of course, I get a lot more heat here in central Texas than you do in upstate NY so maybe that explains it.

The bottom line is I would at least suggest a visual inspection along the ribbed side especially. The cost and level of effort isn't bad (20 minutes maybe) and it is well documented here somewhere. It helps to have two people if you do this one in my opinion, both for ease of feeding the belt up from the bottom while the other pulls it up from the top (at least that how we did it) as well as for safety. One person can hold use a wrench to hold the tensioner safely "open" while the other slips the belt over the tensioner pulley (concentrating on keeping fingers out of possible crush points if sometime goes wrong).

Old 03-01-2016, 05:43 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Replace the air filter as well while you are at it. You will need to remove the air filter housing during the process. I plan to do both this year on my 2008 with 23K miles.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Replace the air filter as well while you are at it. You will need to remove the air filter housing during the process. I plan to do both this year on my 2008 with 23K miles.
Good point but just did 6K ago.
Just got 30MM wrench I didn t have and Pelican parts order for a Contitech belt 9a1-102-216-01-m21(oem supplier) and a cabin filter and oil filter as long I was paying shipping already.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JCD911S
Time or mileage, so since you're at the 6 year mark, change it. Rubber degrades over time, so despite not having physical wear from the low mileage, the material itself may start to exhibit some deterioration and cracking. And as mentioned above, it's cheap enough to avoid the hassle of it breaking or shredding unexpectedly.
Good advice.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
Had mine done today, at 6 years and 16K miles. Same as advice above, I was going to stretch it out but for the nominal cost thought it was cheap insurance. Did it with the 6 year intermediate maintenance. Because I'm still under CPO I had the dealer do it, they have a winter special on parts & labour, was just over $150 USD installed (converted from Cdn $). What's a tow worth if it fails?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 AM
Update/ took the old one off. Looks new, could have went way longer but will install new one when it get s here. It is cheap insurance I guess and one more project I can now do myself (priceless!).

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Here s a pic of the belt. Don t know how clear it will come out but there is no cracking etc at all. Not sure of any other wear because I don t have new one to compare.
Other pic is engine bay all cleaned up and waiting. LOL
Sorry they are cell phone pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2162.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	745.8 KB
ID:	441690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	441691  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:49 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
That looks practically new. Mine at 6 years and 45k kms also looks similar hence my recom that a few more years probably would be good. What you will notice will be after removing the belt and storing it, that old belt will start degrading fast! This is just my opinion. Others reco of replace at 6 years is the safer bet. Just like 5k oil changes

Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM
If these belts have a 6 year life, then should they also have a date of production stamp just like tires so when you buy a belt you know.... Just blabbering gents.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:32 PM
All done. New belt looks thicker. Went together well. Thanks Guys!

Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Been reading on this topic, maintenace reco run from every 20kmiles to 100k ten year replacement intervals. Specially with the more modern materials used for the serpentine belts, they practically do not wear out. I guess it's just really peace of mind. I just had the pdk fluid replaced and when it came out it looked new! Clear without any contamination whatsoever. $800 later ...peace of mind. Worth it ... At least for the pdk.