997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 completely dead after using cigarette lighter for my tire pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:47 PM
j_atx is on a distinguished road
997 completely dead after using cigarette lighter for my tire pump

Today after putting air in my tires using the cigarette lighter adapter to power my little air pump, I noticed later in the day that my wipers were turned halfway up and the spoiler was in the up position, or mostly up. The key is locked in the ignition and cannot be removed. There’s no power in the car whatsoever except for a ticking noise that I will post in this thread. Battery is about Two months old and a nice AGM die hard. I put my trickle charger on the emergency power terminal in the fuse box, grounding to the door hinge bracket, and no Bueno

The hood is closed and I can’t open it without any power. That’s where the battery is as well as my jumper cables! i’m trying to get in touch with one of my buddies to come over with some jumpers so that we can run a full 12 V charge on to that emergency fuse box tomorrow to see if that might jolt the system back into reality.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
could an air pump using the cigarette lighter have done something crazy to my electrical system? Seems unlikely but weirder things have happened!

i’m posting the video now. It is for sound only.

thanks for all you experts! Looking forward to getting some responses!
Edit

Old 02-25-2021, 08:42 PM
Boulderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry about your dead battery. Not sure what trickle charger you’re using, but if the battery is totally dead it won’t charge. Most need a minimum voltage. If it’s just very low it may still work as long as both cables are connected securely before the unit is plugged in.

if you were using the pump without the vehicle running you could have easily depleted the battery, especially if the vehicle hadn’t been run recently.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:32 AM
j_atx is on a distinguished road
Problem solved!

I was able to get some jumper cables from a friend and attach them to the fuse box. It took a few minutes to even bring it up enough to pop the frunk but eventually did. when I got to my battery I put my voltmeter on it and it read about 5.6 which was a little shocking that’s something in the cigarette lighter that wasn’t even running most of the time could discharge the battery like that. anyway I put the jumpers on it and it still took a little while to charge it to the point where I could start the car. once I got it started I drove it a little bit and then just let it idle in the driveway as the idle seem to be sufficient to continue bringing the voltage up. I shut it off when it reached about 14.1 V. The real test will be if charge held overnight and it starts this morning.

thanks everyone! Input much appreciated!

Old 02-26-2021, 07:45 AM
Boulderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad you got it sorted. leaving the hood unlatched while the car’s sitting in the garage until your sure the battery is truly healthy would be a good move.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Running an air compressor on the cigarette socket without car running is a sure way to discharge or even kill your battery.