Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Serious about purchasing 09 vantage rdstr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
jojogoya88 is on a distinguished road
Serious about purchasing 09 vantage rdstr

My father is heavily considering purchasing a 09 Vantage Roadster. I went him last week to check them out because hes getting rid of his sl550 very soon...and he fell in love with the car. Its such a classy car yet sporty in many ways, it looks like the ultimate tourer (golf bag can fit in the trunk as well).

Got a couple of questions for all those knowledgeable about the Aston market....

1. Ive been watching 06 and 07 vantage's in terms of how much they are going for...for a 140+ car, you can get slightly used ranging from 80-110, coupe and roadster. How do you think the 09 with the revised engine, new sports pack, etc. will hold there value down the road? (for 2-3 years).

2. Has anyone driven the new 09's yet? if so, how does it compare to the old engine?

3. Lastly, any downsides to the roadster? We priced one up at 153,xxx So it doesn't come cheap, any alternatives? My father likes a car that he would use on only decent - great weather, thats refined/luxurious, can fit 2/4 people, convertible, and of course...a golf bag or two.

Appreciate it,
Joe

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
1. 09 production has been slashed significantly (up to 50%) so that should help residuals. 07-08s were seriously overproduced - due to the ford sale (to pump up the company's value on paper) - thus residuals were impacted negatively.

2. 09s have only begun to filter into dealers in the last few weeks but there have been LOTS of articles published regarding the differences - everyone raves that it is the car that the V8 should have always been.

3. Only downside to the roadster is that it isn't as pretty as the coupe it is strictly a 2 seater.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
jojogoya88 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Information, interesting that they cut about 50% of production. My father will like to hear this. He's thinking of just ordering one to his specs and waiting the 6 months.

Thanks again

any more info would be great 6speed

Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Moogle
2. 09s have only begun to filter into dealers in the last few weeks but there have been LOTS of articles published regarding the differences - everyone raves that it is the car that the V8 should have always been.
It still needs a factory supercharger. Out of the box even with the new engine it's still slower than a base Carrera...as recently tested in Car Magazine.

As beautiful as the car looks and sounds, it's tough to stomach that performance-wise it it's slower than every M model...not to mention the 335i and the 135i...and pretty much all Porsche cars except the base Boxster and Cayman.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Car Mags are interesting ... I only had GT3 RSs go around me at Sebring, not Carreras ... M5 was a slug around tight corners; no new M3s out there ... E46 M3 could not keep pace. And yes a factory supercharger would be nice ... my RSC mods are working pretty well for now.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Car Mags are interesting ... I only had GT3 RSs go around me at Sebring, not Carreras ... M5 was a slug around tight corners; no new M3s out there ... E46 M3 could not keep pace. And yes a factory supercharger would be nice ... my RSC mods are working pretty well for now.
I really wish the car was faster...I want one but felt overall that I'd be disappointed with the performance. The Car Magazine article was a bit surprising because it's a British magazine, yet they even said the new Vantage was no match for a base Carrera. Not what you want to hear when you're cross-shopping with a 997TT.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
My previous car was a modded 996tt, I looked at a 997tt but was very disappointed - my 996tt was faster and handled better - and had less "plastic". The V8V was just such a different car - yes it has less HP but the overall experience is just better ... at least to me. That is a huge statement as I have owned over 15 P-cars (and a few other fun brands too) and been a complete Porsche fan over several decades. Porsche has lost some of their soul ... the new cars are nice, but honestly unless the 998 is a major change - I'll be going retro and rebuild an early '70s 911 into some hot rod. I would suggest driving both the 997tt and a 2009 V8V for a day or so ... it will certainly help make your mind up. It really is what you want ... if it is just HP that turns you on then maybe try a new Viper or Z06 Vette - great bang for the buck.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree 100% with Michael's assessment.

I owned a 997TT and the Vantage at the same time. I drove both for several months and other than the raw power of the Porsche it didn't deliver. Kind of like a new McMansion vs and a turn of the century house. The McMansion might have more sq ft but it is lacking IMHO.

I am thinking of a hot rod 911 too if the prices stop going up so quickly. I like the 1970-71 body best. I love the light weight of my Elise and the 911 of that vintage is pretty close so 250hp should be about right. Kind of OT, sorry.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
jim frentress is on a distinguished road
Even with a 50% cut in production, with the world financial markets as they are, you'll get a great buy on an 09 early next year. It is a better car as folks say, and is outstanding with a supercharger. There is a supercharged V8V making the rounds through California dealers starting today that puts out 545hp. If you're nearby, go take a look. Just call your dealer to find where it's at, or message me and I can tell you the dealer list and dates.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
My previous car was a modded 996tt, I looked at a 997tt but was very disappointed - my 996tt was faster and handled better - and had less "plastic". The V8V was just such a different car - yes it has less HP but the overall experience is just better ... at least to me. That is a huge statement as I have owned over 15 P-cars (and a few other fun brands too) and been a complete Porsche fan over several decades. Porsche has lost some of their soul ... the new cars are nice, but honestly unless the 998 is a major change - I'll be going retro and rebuild an early '70s 911 into some hot rod. I would suggest driving both the 997tt and a 2009 V8V for a day or so ... it will certainly help make your mind up. It really is what you want ... if it is just HP that turns you on then maybe try a new Viper or Z06 Vette - great bang for the buck.
I do plan to drive the Vantage, but everyone keeps telling me I will be disappointed. My 997TT that I specced out will have pretty much the entire interior covered in leather and carbon fiber...much nicer than the 996 IMO.

As for the Z06 and Viper, no thanks. Power yes, but lots of tradeoffs. I'd get an E92 M3 over both of those. Or as a gf said a few months ago when I asked her what she thought about the Z06, "Sure get that one, at least I know you won't be out picking up girls in it."

Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by sobemike
Keep in mind that there is a 8% price increase on 2009 models vs. 2008 models. Plus we (Aston Martin dealers) have very aggressive programs to move the remainder of the 2008 models. So the question is, are you willing to save thousands to drive a 08 and you can bring the power to 09 standards with simple modifications.
It would have to be a pretty screaming deal to offset the cost of the mods.

As an aside, are dealers making the ESX supercharger kit available as an orderable option through the dealership with warranty coverage and support? If I could get the car with SC as a new car from the dealership, I'd be very tempted.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:24 PM
jim frentress is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
It would have to be a pretty screaming deal to offset the cost of the mods.

As an aside, are dealers making the ESX supercharger kit available as an orderable option through the dealership with warranty coverage and support? If I could get the car with SC as a new car from the dealership, I'd be very tempted.
+1 ... that would be a car worth having