Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Advice on new v8 vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Advice on new v8 vantage

Hi All-

New to the forum, but not to sports cars and GT's. I am strongly considering an AM V8 Vantage and have some questions.

1. I get that this is more a sports car than GT, and I have had both 6-speeds and autos (DCT and PDK). This car, however, will reside in L.A. as my business DD. I spend about 1/2 my time there. I am concerned that L.A. is not the best town for a stick. I would like to plan on carving the canyons when possible, but don't want to regret getting the "always-a-lag" AM automatic. How bad is the automatic, and does it destroy the sport feeling that is this car's DNA? Big city experiences, anyone?

2. Does AM have a lease/finance arm, or do they have a relationship with one of the major financial institutions? I would prefer to run this through my business, if possible, as a lease rather than a cash buy.

3. What is the wait time for ordering from the factory?

4. I have always thought that certain colors defined certain brands (Ferrari red, for example). I have never been a huge fan of silver or gray, which seem to be the defining colors for the AM. I am not really all that bothered by resale, but what are some of the colors that suit this car best? Subjective, sure. If the grays and silvers at AM are unique, that's a different story.

5. Can't seem to find the invoice on the Vantage, or what the dealers typically get for them. There seem to be quite a few on dealer lots.

Thanks all. All advice appreciated.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
The Sportshift transmission is not that bad, and with a remap, it is excellent.

As far as colours go, there are some crazier colours out there and some of them look really nice:

http://www.secretentourage.com/lifes...eaven-phase-6/

Originally Posted by banton
Hi All-

New to the forum, but not to sports cars and GT's. I am strongly considering an AM V8 Vantage and have some questions.

1. I get that this is more a sports car than GT, and I have had both 6-speeds and autos (DCT and PDK). This car, however, will reside in L.A. as my business DD. I spend about 1/2 my time there. I am concerned that L.A. is not the best town for a stick. I would like to plan on carving the canyons when possible, but don't want to regret getting the "always-a-lag" AM automatic. How bad is the automatic, and does it destroy the sport feeling that is this car's DNA? Big city experiences, anyone?

2. Does AM have a lease/finance arm, or do they have a relationship with one of the major financial institutions? I would prefer to run this through my business, if possible, as a lease rather than a cash buy.

3. What is the wait time for ordering from the factory?

4. I have always thought that certain colors defined certain brands (Ferrari red, for example). I have never been a huge fan of silver or gray, which seem to be the defining colors for the AM. I am not really all that bothered by resale, but what are some of the colors that suit this car best? Subjective, sure. If the grays and silvers at AM are unique, that's a different story.

5. Can't seem to find the invoice on the Vantage, or what the dealers typically get for them. There seem to be quite a few on dealer lots.

Thanks all. All advice appreciated.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Superman07 is on a distinguished road
There is a thread part way down the page with pictures of various, shall we say, uncommon colors.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ite-color.html

Although you indicate you're not fond of grey, I think Meteorite sets the car off great.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
That's really good information. Thanks. Anyone want to comment on the rest of the questions that I posed? What are the companies that offer a remap of the Sportshift

Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I don't think that there is a defining color for AMs, so I would pick what you like.

Don't know the invoice, but your other questions could probably be answered by the dealer. If you order a car, I wouldn't expect a big cut in price.

In terms of the SS, you should drive one to see if you like it. IMO, it's not as responsive as the newer gear boxes (PDK, Ferrari, etc). Stuart from RSC (above post) offers a re-map.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by banton
That's really good information. Thanks. Anyone want to comment on the rest of the questions that I posed? What are the companies that offer a remap of the Sportshift
Where's the smiley with the guy raising his hand???? We do a great remap for the SS transmission. Review here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ift-remap.html

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Where's the smiley with the guy raising his hand???? We do a great remap for the SS transmission. Review here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ift-remap.html
Just like to add that I've also heard good things about RSC's remap. I'll be getting this done when I get a Vantage SS. The question is whether it comes before or after the F430...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
For resale, black, silver/gray are the best colors. If you are going to keep the car, get what you want. That being said, its pretty hard to find any pre-owned not in the "German" shades. And good luck finding a MT car not in those colors since the SS was introduced.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks to all for the information. This seems to be a good time to buy.....I am not sure whether I will go with an '09 or '10. Are there any specific differences between the model years?

There is an off-chance that I will be able to get a V12V. Depends on how the residual checks come in at the end of the year. I have had my heart set on a ragtop, but I may be persuaded...........

Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
My son (21) has told me that I should get the V12V, drive it for 3 years, and give it to him. And, he's serious.................

Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
LOL, my 9 yo asked me, "Can you get a Lambo next time?" I told him I wasn't a huge fan of Lambos, but that he could get one himself once he got older. He replied, "I been thinking of that, but I may not have enough money to buy one. So if you bought one now, you could give it to me once I can drive."

Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
My kids were arguing one day over splitting my cars, assets, etc. when I died. The two little boys seemed to forget that I was in the room.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
They didn't forget - they didn't care. We have to be nice to these kids, as they will choose the nursing home............