Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2007, with factory bluetooth for phone and no nav.

I'm planning some sort of audio upgrade and looks like this is the way to go since the OEM upgrade solution for a 2007 is crazy expensive.

My questions after reading all of this several times are:

#1 - Is Dension 500 still the best unit to get or something newer will work? (or have firmware updates fixed most complaints?)

#2 - I'd love bluetooth for music (don't care about phone calls much). Is a Tune2air or the Dension bluetooth going to result in better music quality? Or is it the same? Is it related to A2DP doing compression or would something newer using Bluetooth 4.0 be better quality?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
sesheff is on a distinguished road
Ethan you're a hero! I've been trying to integrate my iPhone 6 into my '05 DB9 and was so pleased to see your comments and instructions near the end of this thread. I think I'm going to order the Dension VS the Volvotech or Grom unit. Are you still happy with your purchase? Any new issues? Also, where did you run the cable/plug for your iPhone? My DB9 w/automatic trans. has a small 3" X 5" cubbyhole in the center console where the stick-shift would be. My iPhone 6 rests inside so I was thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom and running the iPhone lightning cable/plug through there. Thoughts? THANK YOU!

Last edited by sesheff; 03-30-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I finally got around to installing my Gateway 500, and it is working great!

I had 2 goals - add an iPod interface, and add an auxiliary input to connect my satellite radio receiver directly instead of using an FM modulator. This met both the goals.

My 8th-generation iPod nano is connected via Dension's lightning adapter and works and sounds great. I'm running it in gateway mode so I can see the song names on the screen. I don't have any kind of lag switching tracks using the dashboard buttons. I just set it to shuffle all my songs, I don't do playlists or ever try to find any particular song. So any shortcomings in those functions are irrelevant to me.

My car has an ancient Sirius radio receiver installed in the trunk fuse box compartment, with its control unit installed in the ashtray opening (a perfect fit, BTW). The sound quality using an FM modulator is horrible, like AM radio. Using the Dension aux input, it sounds nearly as good as a CD or iPod.

I purchased the cable extension kit, so I could put all the input interfaces under the removable panel behind the seats. Plenty of room there and easy to get to. The standard cables that come with the unit are not long enough to reach all the way behind the seats.

Installing the unit and all the cables wasn't particularly difficult. I used the instructions from this thread and just took my time. It was a little scary removing some of the interior panels, but in reality that was really easy. It was much more difficult routing all the cables through the dash and console, but that wasn't really difficult, just time consuming and awkward for a big guy in a little car.

My car has nav and bluetooth, and there was a ton of room behind the ski slope to install the gateway box. In fact, there was a space with kind of a frame around it right above the display unit where the gateway fit just right and the friction from the cables made it nice and snug without using any fasteners or double-sided tape or anything like that.

The whole project took me 3 afternoons. 2 of those afternoons were spent figuring out how to get a cable from the trunk fuse box area to the area behind the seats without destroying any interior panels. Installing the gateway and its cables took me about 5 hours, working very slowly. I could probably do it again in 90 minutes, now that I've done it once.

Overall, the interface is a little clunky but for my uses it is straightforward and responsive. And sounds great!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Ethan, are you (or any early DB9 owners) seeing artist/song titles on your radio display? I have an '05 DB9 with no NAV or Bluetooth and was informed by "Eric" at www.BumperPlugs.com (authorized distributor of Dension Gateway products here in the US) that, "If you put a commercial CD into your Aston and you only see CD and track #'s on your display (no artist's names or song titles) then you WON'T likely see any meaningful data from your iPod/iPhone using the Dension 500." AND "Unfortunately it is not possible to use the Gateway 500S BT with Aston Martin. The Gateway 500S and 500S BT do not have Volvo compatibility and because of this we do not have a bluetooth solution for the Aston." So unless he's wrong or there's a software upgrade (through Aston Martin) the Dension's only real advantage over the VolvoTech MMMi: http://www.volvotech.eu/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93 is a "chargeable plug" feature for the smartphone/iPod and the ability to perform some clunky control functions on the car's radio buttons which - once the novelty wears off - would probably get old. My iPhone 6s rests quite nicely in the rectangular cavity of the AM's console, and is easy to reach for touchscreen controlling AND displays all the meaningful artist/track titles, etc.. So with that in mind, I'm now leaning towards going with a basic AUX connection (3.5mm headphone jack) to plug into my iPhone 6s to amplify music through the car's audio system and the MMMi should do that job for about half the price. Similar to Mike, I emailed VolvoTech and they say it'll work fine (cost about $230 US) but I was just hoping to see if anyone here has successfully done it. Here's the Connection Manual emailed to me by Bob at VolvoTech: http://www.volvotech.eu/download/documents/manuals/VolvoTech.EU-manual-EN-connection-MMMi-aux-v1.1.pdf Thanks! Steve

Last edited by telum01; 05-04-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Per forum rules, please do not post active links to non-sponsor vendors
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Great news! I ordered/installed the Volvotech MMMi interface and it works great! To make matters even better, I bought a cool AUX input jack here: http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=SJ-3598%20 that has an independent switch to "activate" the MMMi device so I could eliminate the ugly toggle switch that comes with the MMMi kit. By fabricating a U-shaped cradle out of a malleable piece of sheet metal, I carefully installed the AUX jack/switch under the armrest panel so the hole opening for the 3.5mm plug is right next to the cigar lighter (inside the ashtray compartment with the flip-up door). I figured that was the best place to install the AUX jack as it's hidden from plain sight and located next the 12v plug-in power source. The MMMi unit only measures 1/2" X 3" so it fit snugly in a cavity below the CD player with no need to extend any wires except for the 12v power which I ran to the fuse box below the passenger footwell. My iPhone 6s props-up snugly inside the tray of the console and its big color display shows all the artists and song titles. Much better than the car's radio display could do with the Dension unit. As for the audio quality - playing music stored on my iPhone in iTunes "lossless" format - through the car's radio - it's spectacular (and I'm an audiophile). All GOOD! Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Last edited by sesheff; 05-04-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:32 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Tell us more. Where did you put the MMMi unit?

BTW -- did you ever figure out what was wrong with your wipers?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I put the MMMi unit in a small cavity below the CD changer (see revised post above). I wish there was better news on the wipers. I never found a solution to avoid the 10 hour job of R & R'ing the intake or lowering the engine to access the wiper assembly. Fortunately, Spring is in the air so there's less chance of getting caught in the rain!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
bobsilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Grom Audio for Vantage. Anyone install it?

I have been searching for an alternative to the Dension and it seems the Grom may work. It is designed for the Volvo XC90. Its also half the cost of the Dension. Has anyone installed a Grom unit?

Also I see I can get the Aston bluetooth module on Ebay for $550 for an 08 car (which I just bought). Does anyone have experience installing that unit? I do know it requires a trip to the dealer for some programming. But I wonder aside from that is it a DIY install?

Any insight with either the Grom or the Aston Bluetooth module would be appreciated.

Bob Silver
08 V8 Aston Vantage Roadster
Los Gatos California

Old 04-23-2017, 02:31 AM
AWV12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bobsilver
I have been searching for an alternative to the Dension and it seems the Grom may work. It is designed for the Volvo XC90. Its also half the cost of the Dension. Has anyone installed a Grom unit?

Also I see I can get the Aston bluetooth module on Ebay for $550 for an 08 car (which I just bought). Does anyone have experience installing that unit? I do know it requires a trip to the dealer for some programming. But I wonder aside from that is it a DIY install?

Any insight with either the Grom or the Aston Bluetooth module would be appreciated.

Bob Silver
Los Gatos California
Had the AM upgrade just installed by my dealer for Euro 700 all in (new BT module, config file and installation), did not consider the DIY route since the extra money is not that muhc considering the $550 price of the modulke alone.

See here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4625407

Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all

Bob Silver
Los Gatos California

When i bought my 05' DB9 I searched and searched and contacted several companies about a simple type setup for iPod connection to the Linn system. Now you don't have the Linn in the Vantage, but still wanted to see if there was a better way then the Denison.

I don't think there is a writeup for the AM Bluetooth module, they also sell them on Ambits .

After looking at the GROM and others the Denison was the best option for my DB9. I wasn't worried about bluetooth due to just hooking up the Tune2Air module to the 30pin.

Does your 08 have the iPod 30 pin connector. IF SO, then just get the Tune2Air module for bluetooth and just use that. Its epic and will save you a ton. A lot of forum members use that, and I have two and use them in my Mercedes.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough

Bob Silver
Los Gatos California

I have the Dension on my car. The interface sucks but the sound is great and I like that it allows me to continue to use the CD player. The Grom looks like a great alternative, but I don't know what it's interface is like. I think you should try it and let us know what you think.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Twinsen Fung is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone, this is the most helpful thread about the aftermarket bluetooth solution i have found. and then i finally bought the dension, but still doenst work yet..

My Model is 2006 Vantage V8 Manual with Premium Audio System, without Nav. comes with tele function, and a SIM card slot, and no radio control feature on steering wheel.

at the very beginning, i sent my car to the dealer and get the original bluetooth upgrade option, but failed, they told me my system was too old to get this upgrade,
as it only serves those with the VANTAGE from VIN ends with 07649, but mine was with 05550.....and they said there is no way to replace with a newer infotainment system.....
thats why i bought the Dension...

I have tried 1c, 2a and 2b installation types with the dension and the audio system, but it doesnt work still...
and i get the power from the center console, from the power cable of the radio box. it supposed to provide power to the dension after I turn the key

what i get is the following after i start the car:
1) infotainment shows the Vantage Premium Audio logo when i press the on/off radio button and then it turns back to normal.
2) then infotainment screen back to normal and i assum the audio system was on
3) radio was not functioning, screen remained the same even i pressed the CD button, turned the volume button, FM button, music button, phone button etc.
4) no sound from the speakers
5) cd box still working to eject discs and insert discs
6) then i unpluged the fibre cable from the powered Dension, but there was no lights coming out from the optical bus , but i see the bypass/GW mode switch has the blue light up....
7) finally i remove the dension and connect everything back to normal and the radio and cd work back to normal again....
so i actually dont know if the dension is not working and i need a replacement or what...

So, there are some questions from the installation:
1) anyone get the dension worked with providing power from the center console? or the cigarette 12V is the only way to make it? as i prefer to provide power after i turn the key in order save power from the battery (not sure if my logic is correct)
2) would the dension optical bus would give lights out after it got power ?
3) and 1c is the correct install type of my Vantage Premium Audio without Nav?
4) do i need to get the firmware upgrade by myself ? i got the dension in dec 2017 from their official website, i think the firmware wont be too old...

hope i can get some advices from all you experts!! i do need help. as there is no one have this installation experience around my place....

Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Twinsen Fung
Hi everyone, this is the most helpful thread about the aftermarket bluetooth solution i have found. and then i finally bought the dension, but still doenst work yet..

My Model is 2006 Vantage V8 Manual with Premium Audio System, without Nav. comes with tele function, and a SIM card slot, and no radio control feature on steering wheel.

at the very beginning, i sent my car to the dealer and get the original bluetooth upgrade option, but failed, they told me my system was too old to get this upgrade,
as it only serves those with the VANTAGE from VIN ends with 07649, but mine was with 05550.....and they said there is no way to replace with a newer infotainment system.....
thats why i bought the Dension...

I have tried 1c, 2a and 2b installation types with the dension and the audio system, but it doesnt work still...
and i get the power from the center console, from the power cable of the radio box. it supposed to provide power to the dension after I turn the key

what i get is the following after i start the car:
1) infotainment shows the Vantage Premium Audio logo when i press the on/off radio button and then it turns back to normal.
2) then infotainment screen back to normal and i assum the audio system was on
3) radio was not functioning, screen remained the same even i pressed the CD button, turned the volume button, FM button, music button, phone button etc.
4) no sound from the speakers
5) cd box still working to eject discs and insert discs
6) then i unpluged the fibre cable from the powered Dension, but there was no lights coming out from the optical bus , but i see the bypass/GW mode switch has the blue light up....
7) finally i remove the dension and connect everything back to normal and the radio and cd work back to normal again....
so i actually dont know if the dension is not working and i need a replacement or what...

So, there are some questions from the installation:
1) anyone get the dension worked with providing power from the center console? or the cigarette 12V is the only way to make it? as i prefer to provide power after i turn the key in order save power from the battery (not sure if my logic is correct)
2) would the dension optical bus would give lights out after it got power ?
3) and 1c is the correct install type of my Vantage Premium Audio without Nav?
4) do i need to get the firmware upgrade by myself ? i got the dension in dec 2017 from their official website, i think the firmware wont be too old...

hope i can get some advices from all you experts!! i do need help. as there is no one have this installation experience around my place....
Check my post in this tread (#118) and albeit me having the DB9 with Linn 950w, make sure you plug your dension exactly as per my diagram right into behind the CDC. Only then Will it work. I took me a year to sort...
​​​​​

Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Thom Morrow will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sdekoning
Check my post in this tread (#118) and albeit me having the DB9 with Linn 950w, make sure you plug your dension exactly as per my diagram right into behind the CDC. Only then Will it work. I took me a year to sort...
​​​​​
mine is doing the same thing. Triple checked cable. Same exact issue. Mind if I ask how did you get it resolved?

Old 12-13-2019, 12:21 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Thom Morrow
mine is doing the same thing. Triple checked cable. Same exact issue. Mind if I ask how did you get it resolved?
Hi Thom, you physically have to plug the unit 'between' the plug which goes inside the back of the CDC unit. The fiber optic loop apparently checks the correct sequence of apparatus tied-in (amplifier, cdc) and therefore the dension needs to be in that exact spot. The diagram and dip switch settings per post 118 are the one that'll get it working.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project