Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DBS market value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
I own an Aston v12 and love it but I agree with speedraser on this one... I don't think displacement always wins, in fact it's been proven on the racetrack otherwise many times..Porsche and Mazda are 2 examples of the many manufactures who have won races and championships on small displacement powerplants. Personally the metzgar engine is one of the best engines ever produced and it's a 3.6L flat 6 cyl. That engine is roughly half the size of the 6L v12 and believe me that engine in my gt2 would ansolutely annihilate the Aston v12, even the one in the new vanq. I also agree that things like turbos, dry sump, larger intercoolers, better flow control, better induction, more effective fuel mapping and boost management make a HUGE DIFFERENCE. There is, in my estimate, so much more to making a great engine that merely number of cylinders or the relative displacement in consideration.
Ahhh, yuh...

The primary reason the XJ220 was a sales flop was because?....

It had a bang up to date, gee-whiz, twin turbo V6 INSTEAD of the promised V12. The engine it had was wonderful and had all the goodies you describe, but...it wasn't a V12 and the sales fell off a cliff.

20-30 years from now, no one will give 2 s**** for some hi-tech TT wonder motor with 6 cylinders, but they will absolutely still lust over a V12.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I'm not talking about sales I'm talking about performance versus. dispacement.

Look I love the v12 Engine also, I have one as well in my Aston Martin. It's a great engine...it's perfect for long distance touring and it's sounds absolutely glorious and I prefer it to the v8 in the Aston. I also really like the Ferrari v12 in the vintage 275 GTB/C 4 cam, SuperFast, Daytona, Lusso, GTO, etc...very nice engines, amazing history, sounds, and pedegree.

I get it.

But it's not the end all engine. Period. There are better engines with smaller displacement and forced induction...from a performance standpoint, history has shown time and time again that you do not need a v12 to win races.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
OMG, you are SO missing the point. I never was talking about performance aspects of engine design or winning races. Simply that the 'exoticness' of an engine is related to cylinder count. And that's why V12s are always and will always be > than any V8.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I am trying to understand...are you meaning that the exclsuiveness and desirability of the v12 is greater? If so historically you may have a point. In the early part of automaking many car makers would tout the larger displacement engines as the best, and so people devloped a liking for them, things like the straight 8, the V12, and even the big V16 in the aristrocratic cars of the day!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Let's find some common ground here and just agree that a V12 will always have a > number of cylinders than a V8.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
I agree british racing green looks great on Lotus, like it was meant for that car maker and for many years Lotus did the color proud...

and I only rib ya cause I like ya...and it's fun lol haha! You're a track guy so definately a good sense of camaraderie between racers and track enthusiasts...Oh and by the way, Lotus makes a hell of a road course car... if you ever get a chance to drive a downforce car take it, like a forumula atlatic or Continental...Radicals are also fun!
Ribbing well taken
Yea I noticed you have a strong pedigree of racing as well. Track guys have to stick together
Funny you mention Radicals - one of my fellow competitors in the LotusCup series just bought a Radical and may start racing with them. That's just a whole different level. I have raced an SRF in SCCA for a short time, which was quite the opposite as it only had 105 hp and was a momentum car. But the momentum cars really teach you how to race well without using HP as a crutch.

On the street, however, I'm addicted to power and can't wait to hear and feel the V12!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I'm just stunned that XJ actually used "OMG" in a post.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Let's find some common ground here and just agree that a V12 will always have a > number of cylinders than a V8.
Stop stirring up controversy.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
I'm just stunned that XJ actually used "OMG" in a post.
Me too...

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Me too...
We'll chalk it up to 'forum rage'. Hopefully you have now stepped down off the 'grammatical ledge' ... ... Looolz

Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I too am shocked that XJ used 'OMG' ....I must have really frustrated him lol

Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Old dogs can learn new tricks (or even ones that are quite passe).