Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What to do in Cali?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
What to do in Cali?

My work is sending me out to Cali next week for 4 days, 1st and last day to just chill out(time difference) and 2nd and 3rd days training from 8-5..hehe kinda gets boring alone. I'm landing at LAX and driving to Irvine..I know I could post this in the regional section, but curious to what you guys think??

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
OMG! I only wish your visit to "Cali" was San Franciso. I'd drive the 500-miles round trip (in my Aston of course) just to meet you. You've been so helpful to all of us on this Site. I hope those 6-Speed members in SoCal can get togther with you during your visit.

OK, since I can't meet you in Cali, I'm going to be in Montreal in mid-October, so maybe I could stop by your dealership?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Sounds good bud....October, bring your jacket! LOL

You been here before?

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by irish07
My work is sending me out to Cali next week for 4 days, 1st and last day to just chill out(time difference) and 2nd and 3rd days training from 8-5..hehe kinda gets boring alone. I'm landing at LAX and driving to Irvine..I know I could post this in the regional section, but curious to what you guys think??
Hey Irish,

Sadly, Irvine is a pretty boring city. There is not much to do there unless you like going to strip malls. If I were you, I'd head over to the Newport Beach area (about 15-minutes west of Irvine) and take a drive along Pacific Coast Highway (really great if you happen to rent convertible). From there, you could drive north towards Santa Monica and Malibu or south towards Dana Point and San Diego. The beaches are really nice and you could probably rent a surf board if that's your thing. If you drive north on PCH, you will hit Santa Monica and the part of Los Angeles referred to as the West Side. It makes for good people watching if you feel like swinging by Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive which is in the West Side.

Before I forget, if you are into sushi, I can recommend a really good sushi restaurant in Irvine. I go there at least once a month with my wife and her family (she's from Irvine).

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
mmandaniel is on a distinguished road
Macksamus, gave some great tips. definitely things you should do when your out here

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by macksamus
Hey Irish,

Sadly, Irvine is a pretty boring city. There is not much to do there unless you like going to strip malls. If I were you, I'd head over to the Newport Beach area (about 15-minutes west of Irvine) and take a drive along Pacific Coast Highway (really great if you happen to rent convertible). From there, you could drive north towards Santa Monica and Malibu or south towards Dana Point and San Diego. The beaches are really nice and you could probably rent a surf board if that's your thing. If you drive north on PCH, you will hit Santa Monica and the part of Los Angeles referred to as the West Side. It makes for good people watching if you feel like swinging by Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive which is in the West Side.

Before I forget, if you are into sushi, I can recommend a really good sushi restaurant in Irvine. I go there at least once a month with my wife and her family (she's from Irvine).
thanx macksamus,

I know what you mean about Irvine being dull, went out to that end for the first time last year for a past training course..but I was there for the full week..almost died of bordom. I know I'm staying near Irvine U..in the area though think the most I saw was some outdoor style mall, it had some steak/grill place that we ate at..place claimed they had over 100 types of beer or something on those lines..don't remember the name though..

Have never surfed before, I snowboard a lot and have done wake boarding, can't be compared to surfing though..used to the board being attached to me feet..lol

Not really big on sushi out here, we have a few joints but your always cautioned when you eat... more of a steak guy..

Think I'm gonna do the drive up the coast, don't know what car I'm getting yet though..none the less, sounds chill

Just a question so I'm not late at getting some places, do you know if the traffic from LAX to Irvine area is bad at 8am and visevera back tracking at 11am on the week days? All I have to go by is Google Map, has it listed at 45mins?

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds good bud....October, bring your jacket! LOL

You been here before?
My wife and I will be on a "Foilage Cruise" from Boston to Montreal, then staying at the Hyatt Regency 10/13-10/15 leavin early on the 16th. Been to a lot of places in East and West Canada, but never to Montreal, so we're really looking forward to the visit.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
thanx macksamus,

I know what you mean about Irvine being dull, went out to that end for the first time last year for a past training course..but I was there for the full week..almost died of bordom. I know I'm staying near Irvine U..in the area though think the most I saw was some outdoor style mall, it had some steak/grill place that we ate at..place claimed they had over 100 types of beer or something on those lines..don't remember the name though..

Have never surfed before, I snowboard a lot and have done wake boarding, can't be compared to surfing though..used to the board being attached to me feet..lol

Not really big on sushi out here, we have a few joints but your always cautioned when you eat... more of a steak guy..

Think I'm gonna do the drive up the coast, don't know what car I'm getting yet though..none the less, sounds chill

Just a question so I'm not late at getting some places, do you know if the traffic from LAX to Irvine area is bad at 8am and visevera back tracking at 11am on the week days? All I have to go by is Google Map, has it listed at 45mins?
Hi Irish,

If you leave LAX around 8am, I would allocate between 45 min. - 1 hr. to get down to Irvine. You should be going opposite rush hour traffic, so it shouldn't be too bad. I would suggest that you take the 105 East to the 110 South to the 91 East and then connect to the 5 South. If you can, I'd avoid the 405, as that freeway can be pretty miserable.

Heading back to LAX at 11am should be signficantly better in terms of traffic. I would just take the same reverse route back.

And by all means, avoid getting on the 5 freeway between the 710 and 605....doesn't matter what time of the day. You will probably get a serious case of road rage if you find yourself on that strech of the freeway.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
LAX is right next to PCH, highway 1. I would take that south, but head to the west as soon as you get out of the airport. When you hit the beach, turn left. Follow that to Ranchos Palo Verde. Great beaches, and if the company is picking up the tab, some great food too. Get out, see the beach. Follow that around the peninsula, and then you can go through Long Beach and reconnect to highway 1. You can take that all the way to Dana Point right on the ocean, or if you want to sit in your room, turn left when you get to Laguna Beach. Canyon hiking back in there if you want. Las Brisas is a good outdoor place to eat there, or there are some great places in Newport too.

For your other free day it's all in how much you want to drive. The rest of the coast is the same, except more crowded. Head to San Juan Capistrano, then maybe east on hwy 74 and then if your car is decent head up to Mt. Palomar or over to Palm Springs if you want to be hot one last time before winter. Or go to Hollywood and do the tourist stuff. I find that leaving after 9am and avoiding the freeways between 3-7pm will be best, but not too bad south of Irvine.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
If you're going to be in Irvine on Sat. morn, you should definitely hit C&C Irvine - tons of great cars....
What are you looking to do - party in Hollywood? relax by the beach in Newport/Laguna? go to Disneyland? shop at Rodeo Dr in Bev Hills?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Stay out south central LA and compton lol! If your going to east LA make sure to give a shot out to cheech & Chong or snoop dawg if your going through da LBC ... What what! Sippin on gin n' juice!

Lol, j/k .... Seriously enjoy your visit buddy, lots of good advice on this thread, definately hit up some beaches and PCH, gorgeous drive!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
I would definitely hit the irvine C&C early, like 6:30 am early Saturday morning then head up to Big Sur on HW1 stay there for a night and then drive back down the next. Crazy but you'll enjoy it.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Grew up in Irvine, work in Irvine across the street from AM USA, and yes it would be hard to find a more Stepford-type place. If you're enjoy your ethnic fare, Muldoon's Irish Pub in Newport is both a great place for a drink or food. Mexican food here is great. I agree on Las Brisas in Laguna, but if you're stuck in Irvine, the Mexican at pricey Javier's at the Irvine Spectrum is amazing.
For an auto-related treat, in Irvine is the Marconi Auto Museum, and it's worth the visit. It's a mixed private collection of about 100 vehicles, with Ferrarri & Lambo as core.
I"ll pm you my # if you have time for a beverage or lunch on me.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mfrankel
Grew up in Irvine, work in Irvine across the street from AM USA, and yes it would be hard to find a more Stepford-type place. If you're enjoy your ethnic fare, Muldoon's Irish Pub in Newport is both a great place for a drink or food. Mexican food here is great. I agree on Las Brisas in Laguna, but if you're stuck in Irvine, the Mexican at pricey Javier's at the Irvine Spectrum is amazing.
For an auto-related treat, in Irvine is the Marconi Auto Museum, and it's worth the visit. It's a mixed private collection of about 100 vehicles, with Ferrarri & Lambo as core.
I"ll pm you my # if you have time for a beverage or lunch on me.
I second Las Brisas, Javier's and most of all Marconi's private collection.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
My wife and I will be on a "Foilage Cruise" from Boston to Montreal, then staying at the Hyatt Regency 10/13-10/15 leavin early on the 16th. Been to a lot of places in East and West Canada, but never to Montreal, so we're really looking forward to the visit.
I must admit, I've been across Canada and Montreal is a fun town, Oct might be a little calm..best time is in July/Aug with the Grand Prix/Nascar/Just for Laughs Fest, and winter with La Fête des neiges..we have one of the best night life's..you could go 72 hrs straight just club/bar hopping..and if you have the need for shopping(hehe keep your wife close at hand!), we have a large downtown area for resto's and shopping, still needed to expand and with winters here they decided to go underground, so everything above ground can almost be found in are underground city..hehe even are metro train system is completely underground.

Think the Hyatt is near Saint Urbain and St Catherine..very nice area for even just walking around, lots to see..your in the heart of d-town..You'll be here on the weekend so could meet up..I've been here my whole life so if you need any info let me know!

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What to do in Cali?