Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gear Problems - 2003 Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 AM
centerlane is on a distinguished road
Gear Problems - 2003 Vanquish

Hoping someone can assist in diagnosing the problem - I have a 2003 Vanquish with 30K miles. When I start the car, if the electronics do not come on (ie. radio comes live, heating system comes live) then I cannot shift out of neutral - bloody frustrating - beautiful car when I can get it into gear and it works - any suggestions.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Hey welcome to the board, nice to see another GTA owner and sorry to hear you are having problems. Is that the Vanquish that MVL had on their lot last year? The 'semi-automatic' gear box is definitely the weak point of that car and prone to issues. It may be time for a flatbed down to Grand Touring unfortunately. Maybe Irish can chime in here with some advice, he's an Aston tech ...

The other boards you might try are Pistonheads and the AMOC board. This board is mostly populated by Vantage and modern D-series owners. Lots of experience with older models on the UK-based boards.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
^^^ Yup. The Vanquish board at amoc.org is very active -- that's your best shot for an answer.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Thank you both for your leads - I will check out that site - I purchased the car in February of this year from Yorkville Leasing at what I thought was a good price - I am connected with some good mechanics and we have tried a number of possible remedies which has enhanced the performance of the car but not yet solved the underlying problem - I am hoping to avoid the GT option - Any idea on how to find/obtain the scematics for this car? Cheers

Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Check out astonmartintechinfo.com -- costs about $100 for a 24 hour subscription. You can download virtually everything in pdf format.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:42 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Yup the vanq is known to have a very problematic gearbox, clarkson on top gear complained about it non stop. The vanq S tried to remedy the shoddy gearbox but it was still shown to be sluggish and still somewhat faulty. When the late model gaydon cars were produced Aston went with a whole new zf sourced tt2 box and a graziano rear mounted transaxle.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I will PM you Irish's email address, I'm sure he won't mind you dropping him an email for advice. Hmmm, you won't be able to receive PM's with so few posts. Go spam the P-car forum with 'Nice wheels' and "Sweet ride" comments to get your numbers up

Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by centerlane
Hoping someone can assist in diagnosing the problem - I have a 2003 Vanquish with 30K miles. When I start the car, if the electronics do not come on (ie. radio comes live, heating system comes live) then I cannot shift out of neutral - bloody frustrating - beautiful car when I can get it into gear and it works - any suggestions.
Hey Bud, there is going to be a fault in the TCM or PCM for the non shifting out of neutral concerns. It can be something so simple or really indepth and costly.

First you need to get the codes scanned from the vehicle, you should be able to get the TCM and PCM codes with any scanner from your local mechanics..post me the codes and I can help guide you through..

I'm on vacation right now so I don't get instant msg's to my home email..bare with me if it takes a day or so for my reply

Also, give me the last 6 digits of the VIN

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Go spam the P-car forum with 'Nice wheels' and "Sweet ride" comments to get your numbers up
I know this was just a joke but that is not advisable OP, Aston Ca was just kidding around here. We like to avoid spamming posts here on 6speed. You will find a great group of enthusiasts here on our forum, before you know it your numbers will be up naturally.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Thank you Irish - I will be at the shop on Thursday and will get the TCM and PCM codes then and get back to you with them. The last 6 digits in the VIN are 500764. Thanks for your assistance. Cheers.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Irish I've retrieved the stored codes from the TCM & PCM and here is what I came up with P1132,P1151,P0603,P1000 the technician has cleared the stored codes and ran a drive cycle and no codes have returned. The non-shifting issue seems to be only present when the radio doesn't come on when i put the key in the ignition or try to turn it on manually and this seems to be intermittent. When the radio does come on the car function properly through the start routine and am able to drive and shift into all gears. Do you think this can be related to a BCM or security module?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
I know this was just a joke but that is not advisable OP, Aston Ca was just kidding around here. We like to avoid spamming posts here on 6speed. You will find a great group of enthusiasts here on our forum, before you know it your numbers will be up naturally.
Absolutely! Just a {ahem} joke ... honest! I'm glad u connected up w Irish. He is _the man_.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by centerlane
Hi Irish I've retrieved the stored codes from the TCM & PCM and here is what I came up with P1132,P1151,P0603,P1000 the technician has cleared the stored codes and ran a drive cycle and no codes have returned. The non-shifting issue seems to be only present when the radio doesn't come on when i put the key in the ignition or try to turn it on manually and this seems to be intermittent. When the radio does come on the car function properly through the start routine and am able to drive and shift into all gears. Do you think this can be related to a BCM or security module?
The P1000 code is just there to state that the drive cycles are not complete, once you delete codes or disconnect the battery and have no power to the PCM..P1000 is stored. If you scan the car right now and still have P1000 stored in either the Primary or Secondary PCM's..the tech did not complete the drive cycles as he said ..(there are 2 PCM's on the Vanquish, 1 for the right 6cyls and 1 for the left 6 cyls)

The P1132 and P1151 are codes stating the engine has reached its max lean condition, depending on which PCM (Pri or Sec PCM) is where the fault is happening, I would guess the Misfire Factors are not learnt due to the battery going flat or dead/low..because the Misfire Factors are not learnt the engine is more than likely misfiring and causing the max lean condition(O2's are less than .45V)..with the Misfire Factors not learnt, a check engine will not come on and no codes will be stored for the PCM's don't see the misfire cause there adaptations are at "0"(not learnt)..once learnt the PCM's can then detect a misifre

The P0603 is not a common fault, it explains the PCM(Pri or Sec, depending on which PCM code was fault stored in)..is loosing power when it is not supposed to. The radio can go out if the battery voltage drops to low, this is a battery saver mode. If the battery is low, the TCM will also go into a power save mode. If there is a damaged wire to the PCM and is common to the other modules..this can cause the same concern. Real stupid question, but have you checked the battery cables to make sure they are secured correctly to the battery and chassis? Also has the battery been check with a tester?

If battery and cables check out good, you would most prob have to get the car scanned by a scanner that can see body and TCM codes...those codes you supplied are only PCM..there should be some TCM and Body..even PATS and infotainment codes..I dont know of any aftermarket scanners than can do this..I only know of the dealers AMDS that can retrieve all the above..might be worth the cost to pay the dealer for just a code scan..countless hours for a corner garage to check powers and grounds can sometimes be a 5min fix of seeing codes for a burnt fuse

Are you the original owner or did you just recently purchase the Vanquish?

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com