Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wheels opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Wheels opinion

What do u guys think and what size should i order?

Amazon Amazon

http://www.carid.com/konig-wheels/la...ed-465508.html

http://www.carid.com/demoda-wheels/m...ed-473806.html

Last edited by Breezman; 01-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
this is for your new S, yes?
I'm sorry but this Art Center grad has to say eeeewwww to all of those.

As I recall, your car is black, if so, a satin gray or alloy will look great. No bright, gloss, shiny with the possible exception of the lug nuts.

Also, avoid machined surfaces and or rivets. Those may look fine on a Camaro or a slammed '98 Civic, but they are too "werks" or tuner for a refined sex-show like a Vantage.

Ok, did my homework: Why god Why would you even want to change those wheels that are already on there?
And If you must, do this:

Last edited by IbisRider; 01-11-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
this is for your new S, yes?
I'm sorry but this Art Center grad has to say eeeewwww to all of those.

As I recall, your car is black, if so, a satin gray or alloy will look great. No bright, gloss, shiny with the possible exception of the lug nuts.

Also, avoid machined surfaces and or rivets. Those may look fine on a Camaro or a slammed '98 Civic, but they are too "werks" or tuner for a refined sex-show like a Vantage.

Ok, did my homework: Why god Why would you even want to change those wheels that are already on there?
And If you must, do this:
I would love to talk more and understand your point of view Mr Art graduate...
( do u mind an actual voice conversation?)
My reasoning is that i like the black/ silver look vs all silver like my wheels.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Ah crap, now I sound like a snob. The Art Center reference was actually meant to be self depricating.

I only claim to be an expert at having my own, rather boisterous opinions. But if you you'd really like to chat about things wheels/Aston/car design, I'd love to. I'll PM you.

The trick with aftermarket wheels is to find those that don't look "aftermarket". I know this is difficult because there are so many examples of failure and so few that look great. The wheels on my '08 were a huge part of my selection criteria. They are a factory option, just metalic gray powdercoat on the factory wheels. But that gray just seals the deal. The car still looks clean and refined while the subtle wheels let the red callipers pop without drawing too much attention to the rims.

On a black car, you have a few options:
All black, "murdered out" as the kidz say, either gloss or satin. If your brakes are red, this could look cool but it's a bit goofy in my opinion.

Satin finish on gray. Like the wheels in the pic I pasted in, that gray will keep the wheels from overwhelming the look while still providing some brightness and visual interest.

Satin finish on alloy (raw alluminum color). Here you can get away with a slimmer visual mass, like slim multi spoke or slim, minimal mesh. Too slim and you run into the weirdness of too-hollow wheels. Some people like this look, I find it unappealing. You just see too much undercarriage, too much wheel well.

My personal taste is to avoid, in most cases, any wheel with multiple finishes (e.g. black paint and machined alloy). There are exceptions like the wheels on my '11 GTI. I think these work because the machined area is so large that it provides enough mass to support the car (the black is meant to fall away and be invisible so that the tire looks like it's only supported by the visible, machined shape).
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1920x1440.jpg

But those ^^^ wheels would look HORRIBLE on an Aston (I'm pretty confident you already knew that).

So if you are looking at a wheel with exposed alloy and black paint, imagine that the black paint is invisible. Does the alloy mass look substantial enough to visually support the car?

Hope this hell

Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor
ZygoteCustoms will become famous soon enough
Forgestar F14 would be a nice transition from the factory design (a very nice design at that)

If you like the look of the wheels in your first post, maybe go with a quality 2 or 3 piece wheel like something here;

http://shop.zygotecustoms.com/Savini...ature-SV25.htm

Just some ideas to throw around!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM
mikes300 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Ah crap, now I sound like a snob. The Art Center reference was actually meant to be self depricating.

I only claim to be an expert at having my own, rather boisterous opinions. But if you you'd really like to chat about things wheels/Aston/car design, I'd love to. I'll PM you.

The trick with aftermarket wheels is to find those that don't look "aftermarket". I know this is difficult because there are so many examples of failure and so few that look great. The wheels on my '08 were a huge part of my selection criteria. They are a factory option, just metalic gray powdercoat on the factory wheels. But that gray just seals the deal. The car still looks clean and refined while the subtle wheels let the red callipers pop without drawing too much attention to the rims.

On a black car, you have a few options:
All black, "murdered out" as the kidz say, either gloss or satin. If your brakes are red, this could look cool but it's a bit goofy in my opinion.

Satin finish on gray. Like the wheels in the pic I pasted in, that gray will keep the wheels from overwhelming the look while still providing some brightness and visual interest.

Satin finish on alloy (raw alluminum color). Here you can get away with a slimmer visual mass, like slim multi spoke or slim, minimal mesh. Too slim and you run into the weirdness of too-hollow wheels. Some people like this look, I find it unappealing. You just see too much undercarriage, too much wheel well.

My personal taste is to avoid, in most cases, any wheel with multiple finishes (e.g. black paint and machined alloy). There are exceptions like the wheels on my '11 GTI. I think these work because the machined area is so large that it provides enough mass to support the car (the black is meant to fall away and be invisible so that the tire looks like it's only supported by the visible, machined shape).
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1920x1440.jpg

But those ^^^ wheels would look HORRIBLE on an Aston (I'm pretty confident you already knew that).

So if you are looking at a wheel with exposed alloy and black paint, imagine that the black paint is invisible. Does the alloy mass look substantial enough to visually support the car?

Hope this hell
The finish on said wheel above (HRE's) is called brushed tinted clear, I have the same on my meteorite silver DB9, they look awesome! I strugled with the finish for some time, I think i made the right choice once I saw them in person, I looked at brushed, double tint, smoke tint and a few others. I will say go with a forged wheel, the casts just do not hold up IMO, my X goes through them like crazy on her 650 BMW (ok my old BMW LOL) they crack and bend all the time, but they were cheap!!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=IbisRider;3740145]Ah crap, now I sound like a snob. The Art Center reference was actually meant to be self depricating.

I actually meant it in the nicest way. i apreciate a pros advice and opinion. don't self depreciate. if you are an art graduate you know more then me and i welcome your input

Thanks for the PM. i will call you.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by ZygoteCustoms
Forgestar F14 would be a nice transition from the factory design (a very nice design at that)

If you like the look of the wheels in your first post, maybe go with a quality 2 or 3 piece wheel like something here;

Just some ideas to throw around!
Like those ALL black

My brake cal is all black

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor
ZygoteCustoms will become famous soon enough
As others mentioned above, I do not believe cast is the way to go on your car. Match the quality of car to the wheel...you do not want to run into issues in the future.

Sent you a PM as well.

*edit your inbox is full

Last edited by ZygoteCustoms; 01-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
ooh, I love seeing pictures of my car. But yes, they are 20" HRE P40SC in a Brushed Tinted Finish.

As others mentioned above, I do not believe cast is the way to go on your car. Match the quality of car to the wheel...
+1

Anyhow, I would advise that you strongly reconsider your choices to something of higher quality and craftsmanship than something like Konig Wheels or the others you originally posted. Unless you are some type of NFL player or Rap star that doesn't understand that the hand craftsmanship of Aston Martin should be matched with a high quality manufacture like HRE and a few other wheel brands.

I also have a vendor locally in SoCal who is great to work with and can provide options with high quality brands as HRE, ADV1, etc. PM me for their info.

Good luck with your wheel choice, cause I believe that it will "make" or "break" the image of your car, especially when the V8VS is beautiful right out of the box.

Last edited by DoubleLow7; 01-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Anything with bolts is a no go....unless you drive a Porsche, an Escalade or a hoopty.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has no bolts (esp fake bolts). And no stupid chrome lip (another passing fad unless you drive as above).

Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by elude
ooh, I love seeing pictures of my car. But yes, they are 20" HRE P40SC in a Brushed Tinted Finish.

+1

Anyhow, I would advise that you strongly reconsider your choices to something of higher quality and craftsmanship than something like Konig Wheels or the others you originally posted. Unless you are some type of NFL player or Rap star that doesn't understand that the hand craftsmanship of Aston Martin should be matched with a high quality manufacture like HRE and a few other wheel brands.

I also have a vendor locally in SoCal who is great to work with and can provide options with high quality brands as HRE, ADV1, etc. PM me for their info.

Good luck with your wheel choice, cause I believe that it will "make" or "break" the image of your car, especially when the V8VS is beautiful right out of the box.
I rap in the shower, does that count? . i was more interested in input regarding color and design, not who makes it. regardless- i don't think more expensive is always more beautiful or even better. either way feel free to pm me the local vendor please

Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Anything with bolts is a no go....unless you drive a Porsche, an Escalade or a hoopty.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has no bolts (esp fake bolts). And no stupid chrome lip (another passing fad unless you drive as above).

Thank you. will not under any conditions have a stupid chrome lip !!!

P.s- i do drive a porsche though

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
As others mentioned above, I do not believe cast is the way to go on your car. Match the quality of car to the wheel...you do not want to run into issues in the future.

Sent you a PM as well.

*edit your inbox is full
Pm didn't come thru.. please try again

Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elude

+1

I too never tire of seeing pics of your car. Love it!!!! +1 on the other comments.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheels opinion