Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How DOES she ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
How DOES she ride?

I'm wondering about this group's enitrely subjective impressions of the various suspension packages (stock only please) that are out there on all of the Aston Martin models since say, '07.

I have an '08 V8V and find the ride satisfying and sporting. I like some stiffness but have no interest in driving a go-kart with feel-every-pebble springs. When I was shopping, my research suggested that the Sport Pack of the '09s and newer might be harsh to my tastes. But I still wonder.

Further, I have to admit to some confusion in the matter. The only AMs I've actually driven are '07 and '08 V8V. So even though it's all subjective, based on "feel", I do wonder what you guys think of the options and packages.

We'll use the stock, '08 style as a base.
What's been changed in the current MY base suspension?
How does the Sport Pack suspension feel?
How does the S suspensions feel?
Where is the V12V in this spectrum?
How does the DB9 compare?

I know this is a vast list and subject, I just wanted to hear some thoughts, especially from those who've owned variuos versions, and those who tried variations before settling on the one.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
DB9 sport pack suspension is a game changer. Car turns into a sports car with sublime handing not just a great grand tourer. The car's stance is lower, rake is more aggresive, springs and dampers matched and tuned for optimal performance and beefier antiroll bars are all key Components that work together to make the sport Pack brilliant. It's stiff on the roads compared to the standard suspension, you feel more... But it's not unbearable. In fact I think it makes more of a connected experience for the enthusiastic driver and is wonderful for spirited type driving.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
There's a DB9 w/ Sport at my local dealer. I told myself I'd keep my V8V for a long while, but it won't hurt to try out the 9 right? What could possibly go wrong...

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Lol, I think that's what they call 'dramatic foreshadowing' ...

Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
I had an 08 V8V Nurburging Edition which has the stiffer Sports suspension. As a DD, it felt pretty bumpy for me. However, it did handle well around the twisties.
On my DBS, it too is slightly stiff, and in Sports suspension mode is even stiffer for spirited driving. This is my DD so I'm usually driving it in normal mode, but it's interesting how it still feels slightly bumpy for a GT.

As a comparison, my 430 doesn't feel bumpy or stiff at all. It just has a more nimble and direct feel with the suspension.
Even with my old E60M5, I thought the suspension was superb in its different modes.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
I have 2011 V8S and i cant feel the difference in ride quality when i engage the sport bottom. i do however feel a much tighter and stronger acceleration,

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
For me, my V12V suspension is perfect. Not too stiff, but not too floaty either. The suspension feels tight, but I do feel the highway expansion joints. In comparison, my '08 viper (in stock form) was very stiff and I felt every pebble on the road. Even though the V12V isn't as stiff, it still feels more planted than the viper did.
The only item I would prefer is if the V12V sat about a half inch lower, but that would probably change the suspension dynamics and decrease the ride quality.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
For me and my use of the car, I find the Sports Pack superb. It's noticeable sportier than the standard setup, more pointy, more neutral, more responsible. It strikes a great balance between firmness and control. On horrible northeast roads, IMO the V8VS and the V12 might be just a bit too firm -- both are stiffer than the Sports Pack. I find the Sports Pack ride very firm at low speeds, but never harsh or crashy. Above low speeds (perhaps 40 or so), I think it rides fairly well for a car of this type. Some say that the Sports Pack rides "better" than the standard 4.3, even though it's firmer, because the damping is better controlled.

Good excuse to go and do some sampling