Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake Rotors

Old 05-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Madmikeybee is on a distinguished road
Brake Rotors

Hello. Does anyone know the best way to keep the rust at bay on the brake rotors on a V8 Vantage? I have a 2007MY and I'm looking to clean and paint my rotors to make them look factory fresh. Thanks for any help. Cheers!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
On the rotor braking surface, driving it will take care of it within a few feet. On the other surfaces you can apply a coat of POR15 instead of painting them

Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Like Karl said, the rotors just have surface rust (unless there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with them haha). It builds up especially quickly after washing the car. That comes off pretty much immediately at first application of the brakes when you drive the car. Regularly driving the car will prevent it as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Madmikeybee
Hello. Does anyone know the best way to keep the rust at bay on the brake rotors on a V8 Vantage? I have a 2007MY and I'm looking to clean and paint my rotors to make them look factory fresh. Thanks for any help. Cheers!
You can paint the Calipers with a High-Temperature paint, but for goodness sake--Do Not Paint the Rotors--that will just clog up the pads.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Replacing with a. High quality set of 2piece rotors will not only improve the look, it will greatly improve performance too. Brembo has a set as does Stu from velocity

Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
LOL, 007, are you getting a commission every time you bring these up?

To the OP, it is normal for the rotors to have surface rust, and painting is not a realistic option. Some aftermarket rotors used to come with cadmium plating so that the non-friction surfaces would not rust as fast. Not sure if they available any more, as cadmium is pretty toxic and environmental concerns may have curtailed its use.

In the interest of levity, I'll one up 007's upgrade advice and suggest you move up to a V12V - this way you will have CCM brakes that will never rust ;-)

Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
don't drive it in the rain.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The reason I brought it up is that the aftermarket 2piece rotors have aluminum hats (anodized too) therefore the hats will never show rust. Also the rotors themselves have a coating not hem as well so they will not show surface rust on the non braking surfaces. The stock one piece rotors will always show it, nothing you can do about that.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Madmikeybee is on a distinguished road
Brake Rotors

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replies. I should have been more specific. I was referring to the slight rust to the rotor hubs themselves, not the braking surface. Those are always shiny
I have cleaned and painted them with Rustoleum, but that lasted a year. I like the idea of the Por-15 but I see it's comes in black. I guess I can use a silver top coat.
Yes, the Brembo 2 piece is an option. A V12V is another! Thanks again to all!
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by Madmikeybee; 06-09-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Had my hubs painted black last time the brakes were done. Still looking good after 10K miles and about 100 washes.