Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 battery disconnect switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Christiaan0922 is on a distinguished road
DB9 battery disconnect switch

Have been unable to make the battery disconnect switch in the trunk function, having never tried using it before, am unable to determine anything else is needed besides pushing it. The switch doesn't give any indication it has been pushed like similar switches on the center console.
My intent is to try getting the airbag service light to reset by leaving the battery disconnected for 30 minutes or so. Airbag light came on when mistakenly disconnecting the battery trickle charger from the trunk before disconnecting from the wall outlet. Owner's manual actually makes mention to insure the wall outlet is always removed first, unfortunately overlooked on this one occasion by me.
Curious if anyone has experienced similar issue with their BDS, battery disconnect switch?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:30 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I ALWAYS disconnect the maintainer from the car; it stays plugged into the wall socket. So that should have no bearing on your problem of the airbag light coming on...there's no connection between the two. Also, once the airbag light is on, it can only be reset with an OBD reader like an Autel 702, so disconnecting the battery will have no effect.

Either buy an Autel and reset the light, or it is a trip to the dealer to reset the light and find out why the light tripped in the first place.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Can the Autel 702 reset service light as well? I've been thinking about getting one.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Can the Autel 702 reset service light as well? I've been thinking about getting one.
You can reset the service message using a secret combination of buttons on the dash. Here's the link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ice-reset.html

Last edited by yvr; 01-08-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Found link
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Autel 702 code reader

Thanks XJRS, looking to purchase an Autel 702 now. Trying to determine first if the 802 model may be more useful in the future for other unrelated problems.

In trying to discover a cause for my SRS airbag light to come on I came upon page 11.36 in my DB9 owners manual which stated "To remove the battery conditioner first disconnect from the mains supply, then from the vehicle socket" . I was not able to determine any other possible cause.

QUOTE=XJRS Owner;4269393]I ALWAYS disconnect the maintainer from the car; it stays plugged into the wall socket. So that should have no bearing on your problem of the airbag light coming on...there's no connection between the two. Also, once the airbag light is on, it can only be reset with an OBD reader like an Autel 702, so disconnecting the battery will have no effect.

Either buy an Autel and reset the light, or it is a trip to the dealer to reset the light and find out why the light tripped in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Christiaan0922
Thanks XJRS, looking to purchase an Autel 702 now. Trying to determine first if the 802 model may be more useful in the future for other unrelated problems.

In trying to discover a cause for my SRS airbag light to come on I came upon page 11.36 in my DB9 owners manual which stated "To remove the battery conditioner first disconnect from the mains supply, then from the vehicle socket" . I was not able to determine any other possible cause.

QUOTE=XJRS Owner;4269393]I ALWAYS disconnect the maintainer from the car; it stays plugged into the wall socket. So that should have no bearing on your problem of the airbag light coming on...there's no connection between the two. Also, once the airbag light is on, it can only be reset with an OBD reader like an Autel 702, so disconnecting the battery will have no effect.

Either buy an Autel and reset the light, or it is a trip to the dealer to reset the light and find out why the light tripped in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

Did you ever figured out which model AL619 vs MD702 EU VS MD 802? Pros and cons of each?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Md702

The MD702 works fine for my DB9 but the MD802 is more versatile for a greater variety of cars. I'm not familiar with the AL619, sorry.

Did you ever figured out which model AL619 vs MD702 EU VS MD 802? Pros and cons of each?[/QUOTE]

Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
AL 619 works. I'd get the latest greatest one you can spend up-to. 802 at least.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:58 PM
Johncarroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery reconnect switch under rear passenger seat

Originally Posted by Christiaan0922
Have been unable to make the battery disconnect switch in the trunk function, having never tried using it before, am unable to determine anything else is needed besides pushing it. The switch doesn't give any indication it has been pushed like similar switches on the center console.
My intent is to try getting the airbag service light to reset by leaving the battery disconnected for 30 minutes or so. Airbag light came on when mistakenly disconnecting the battery trickle charger from the trunk before disconnecting from the wall outlet. Owner's manual actually makes mention to insure the wall outlet is always removed first, unfortunately overlooked on this one occasion by me.
Curious if anyone has experienced similar issue with their BDS, battery disconnect switch?
In case anyone else is confused (as I was!), after pressing the battery disconnect switch in the trunk, the car will be inoperable, AND the glove box won't work so you won't have access to your manual. The issue is that pressing the BDS again DOESN'T turn it back on!

Instead there is a battery reconnect switch to counteract the BDS switch, but it is HIDDEN, underneath the rear seat cushion on the right/passenger side (for a left hand drive DB9). Just pull up hard on the rear right seat cushion and the cushion will pop out, exposing the elusive button underneath it! Press the button and the car miraculously starts working again!