Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 db9 mt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
oppiefive is on a distinguished road
2007 db9 mt

Good day to the board..found a immaculate 07 DB9 with a 6speed MT. Service records seem clean 14,000 miles. Curious to know what issues people have, and, will the fact that it is a 6 speed hurt future resale?I am coming out of a 2004 Porsche turbo(although my mechanic says I am making a mistake!!)

Thanks
Peter

Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I would expect a 6 speed will help...but not in the immediate future. DB9 manuals are thin on the ground, esp if a Volante.

Porsche mechanic? Whadda' they know...

Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Tons of info about DB9 issues in the FAQ sticky

Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Expect a BIG different in driving and handling, and probably not what you're expecting. This is a luxury cruiser in the real world.

I've not owned a Porsche but driven them on World Days, and they are light years ahead of the DB9 for performance driving.

Even my ex-Vantage could really not be compared to a 911. Weight and different specs make the AM less attractive for pure driving the Porsche way.

That said, there are a lot of Porsche to Aston Martin converts, so the brand must have appeal for some reason other than performance.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM
steve36 is on a distinguished road
I left my 2007 Porsche Turbo to go to a 2012 Virage Volante.
The Porsche is amazing as a pure sports car. The Aston is a very nice cruiser.
Much more comfortable and a better ride. The Aston is also a car you do not see on the road every day, as oppose to my Porsche (seems everyone has one).
Two very different cars. The Aston is definitely a gentlemen's car.
I hope that sheds some light.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Peter,
Glad you're still tempted IIRC, absolute performance isn't what you're after, and a DB9 is a fantastic GT. If it has the Sports Pack, it should do the handling thing quite well, too.

BTW, I think a Vantage with the Sports Pack can give a 911 a very good run for its money on a track. It won't be quite as quick in a real expert's hands, but it'll be closer than most would expect, and a non-pro may be quicker in the better-balanced Vantage. And I like Porsches.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Are you selling the Turbo or adding the Aston to the stable? If you're adding, I'd say tell your mechanic to stuff it! If you're trading up, well, I have to say that I can't predict car values any more than I can predict the weather but 996TT's are at their low point right now and I feel they can probably only go up in value from here. I'm starting to kick myself for not getting one, after spending time around a couple at my mechanic's shop.

Manual DB9's are few and far between and ought to be more desirable in the future, not unlike manual Ferraris compared to their F1 counterparts. However money aside, it will come down to the driving experience. I agree with Steve36 in that I see 911's all the time (saw a half dozen on the road just this week), yet I don't recall seeing an Aston in months! The exclusivity, gorgeous styling, V12 powerplant, and hand-built construction are just so appealing!

Does the '07 have the Sports pack? You can tell by the split five spoke wheels. That's the one I'd go for, personally. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Unfortunatly have to let the 996 go,space is limited!!! My mechanic was also trained on AM and his concern was the ease of obtaining parts, as well as overall reliability when compared to the 996TT.

The DB9 doesnot have the sport pack.

I appreciate everyones input

Thanks
Peter

Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Sounds like you need a new technician that knows where to get parts, and how reliable a modern Aston is. Maybe he just doesn't want to work on one, cause he does better on P cars.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Like that thought!!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
DB9 in manual is rare and I think will hold more value than the auto tranny in the years to come. That being said, if you are looking for performance, a V12 Vantage would be the car to compete against the Porsche turbo. The DB9 is an excellent grand touring vehicle, but not a track star. The V12 Vantage has an additional 60 hp and weighs 3-400 pounds less but will cost considerably more than a 2007 DB9.

The most important consideration is after you actually drive it. Does it speak to you, does it captivate you, is it engaging and fun to drive. No matter what the specs say, nothing is more important than driving the vehicles in question.

I drove a 911S before my Vantage, and yes, it is more precise in almost every way. But my emotions sold me on the Vantage and I don't regret it in the least. Even though my car is a 2007, people still slow down as they walk by it in the parking lot and don't even glance at a 911.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I'll second that about Porsches being invisible when next to an Aston.

I entered an all-marques car show couple weekends ago. Not being organized by marque, it was a 'park anywhere you'd like' event.

Just so happens that the first spot I came across was next to a very nice, white Porsche GT3. Perfect, I was next to a proper Euro GT! Any way, as the other car show participants and the general public strolled on by the very long lines of cars, they invariably went right by the Porsche as if it wasn't there, being drawn to my Aston like it was magnet. Many photos then ensued, with the poor GT3 ignored, except by the very few cognoscenti.

After an hour or so of this scene being repeated over and over, the owner of the GT3 must have decided he'd had enough and drove off. Oh well, the public does know what it likes!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spikemd
I drove a 911S before my Vantage, and yes, it is more precise in almost every way. But my emotions sold me on the Vantage and I don't regret it in the least. Even though my car is a 2007, people still slow down as they walk by it in the parking lot and don't even glance at a 911.
Exactly same for me.

Drove a 997 C2S after driving an '06 V8V. The C2S was a great car, but didn't really do anything for me. The V8V gave me butterflies. And people are always surprised that it's a nearly 10 yr old car, everyone thinks it's new.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Finally saw an Aston, just following up on what I said earlier. Black 07+ DB9 with Sports pack, though I've seen it multiple times parked in the South End of Boston. Still got me more excited than the two 911's and two Boxsters I saw in the meantime

(side note: I can't believe the owner parks it in the street, though. It makes me cringe a little!)

Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 PM
OP, what did you decide to do? By any chance is it the black/red DB9 at NMS? Just curious...