Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Body shop drama

Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Body shop drama

I won't bore you with all the details, but lets just say a noted body shop in Birmingham has had my car for over 8 weeks (told me 3 to fix) and they had the parts (LH fender, bumper & hood) before I dropped off the car.

Was told 3 different times the car was going to paint, each time there was a reason it did not go the time before. Last time, they could not get the paint to match and had a paint rep in (2 weeks ago) and he basically told me not to call again and he would call me.

Then yesterday, I am talking to a woman I work with and she told me she took her car there and they were almost 2 weeks late getting it back to her, the reason 'Could not get the paint to match' .

Is this normal for highend shops to take this long?

Should note there was about 15-20 cars there when I dropped it off, kind of thinking I might need to take legal recourse soon.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:13 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
If the shop can't get the paint to match, they shouldn't be working on the car.
Birmingham, AL? Is the shop authorized by AML to do repairs? I used a shop on the north side of Atlanta that did a really good job, might be within range for you if you're that upset.
You can use time to repair in your favor, depending on your state laws.
Lots of things can come into play for leverage that you can use.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Good part is, they are Mercedes certified.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
What's good about that if they have been screwing around with your car for two months and then tell you to **** off?
Is there an insurance company involved?
If not, I'd back up a ramp truck, load her up and tell them to eat the cost of the parts.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
RandyB

I live in Birmingham, AL as well and believe I know the shop you are speaking of that tailors to Mercedes. I had them do body work to a Mercedes I owned and also a BMW. This was years ago and I remember getting the "runaround" but I do recall the work was well done once completed.

You story sounds stressful and hopefully all turns out well

Best of luck

Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many. There is one in ATL, Magnum.
CATTMAN

Old 05-26-2016, 09:23 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many. There is one in ATL, Magnum.
CATTMAN
That's who I used, they were great

Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Magnum does impeccable work!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM
CATTMAN
I had my Lotus taken there when it was hit, for me the shop was really good and they were upfront, told me not to expect my car back for a couple of months. They are a little over 3 hours from me, but I am regretting not talking to them before making my decision.
The shop I took mine too, has an N400, 2 Gallardo's and several others, hence why I took it there. Just wish I could get a straight HONEST answer, instead of bull$H1t.

I HATE to be lied too, especially when I know they are lying.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many.
CATTMAN
Why?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by embdenb
Why?
Because it's incredibly difficult to correctly blend Aston's paint when doing resprays.

Last edited by telum01; 05-26-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by embdenb
Why?
Because AM paints are so complex and nuanced. My V8VS is Lightning Silver, and it has many different color metal specs/ flakes in it, that it's almost iridescent and changes color in light. In some light it just looks silver, sometimes, gray, sometimes light blue, and sometimes even violet. Do an image search on Aston Martin lightning silver and you'll see what seem to be several different colors depending on the light and the angle.
CATTMAN

Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Well, drama is coming to an end. Pulling my car from this body shop and sending it to Magnum in Marietta, Ga

Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randyb
Well, drama is coming to an end. Pulling my car from this body shop and sending it to Magnum in Marietta, Ga
That's unfortunate, but I know Magnum will take care of you. If you need a reference, Bryan Meinert is fantastic to work with!

bryanm@magnumcollision.com

Old 06-10-2016, 01:22 PM
I talked to Mike the owner and he has been very responsive.

Another note, called current body shop and told them I was picking up my car. 10 minutes later the shop calls baxk and said car is disassembled and being painted and I should have my car back by next week.

Funny how when you put pressure on, things start happening. Anyway, one way or another I will pick up my car next Friday.

Owned my car little over 6 months and have had it in my possession exactly 11 weeks.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Body shop drama