Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can't get the parking brake caliper off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
troyboy1 is on a distinguished road
Can't get the parking brake caliper off!

I'm having my rear rotors turned and I cannot get the parking brake caliper to release far enough to slide off the rotor. I removed both bolts on the backside of the caliper and have tried to force it but I don't want to tear up anything. I'm also replacing my Springs with H&R at this time. Can anyone help out? Is there any way to get the caliper to expand so I can slide it off the rotor?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Removal

1. Raise vehicle on ramp.

2. Remove road wheel/s.

3. Ensure handbrake lever is fully released.

4. Release handbrake adjustment (both sides).

5. Release inner cable eyelet from lever, compress ring clip

(special tool) and remove cable (see Fig. 1).

6. Remove brake pad retaining pins and anti-rattle spring.

7. Remove pads and shims from Caliper.

8. Remove Caliper bolts (x2) and Caliper.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:21 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Way too complicated. Remove two bolts on the front to split the caliper....job done.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:37 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Way too complicated. Remove two bolts on the front to split the caliper....job done.
^^ This. Then you can use needle nose pliers to wind back the piston.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:20 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yvr
^^ This. Then you can use needle nose pliers to wind back the piston.
Only if replacing the pads with new ones. Not necessary if only removing the disc.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:40 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
It's auto ratcheting design. You must wind them back.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
It's auto ratcheting design. You must wind them back.
Not true if just removing the disc and then reusing the existing pads. Nothing self ratchets....it only does this when you use the parking brake lever.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future

Rear Parking Brake caliper

Edit: When separating the rear parking brake caliper make sure the hand brake is OFF.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 PM
troyboy1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the advice! I finished it!