Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

A Special Kind of Homecoming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
intrigued.
Some of what will be done will be continuations of other threads covering projects. They will be new though in some ways and very likely desirable to many members on here. But, I will let Telum01 discuss each when the time is appropriate. Most items were doing are basic things, however they cover the whole spectrum. Many threads cover these items, but none cover all of them which we will be doing. As we know, Telum01 is pretty thorough in what he does and how he documents them. I am looking forward to this, even though its on my car.

I am thankful for what I do for a living that can afford me the pleasure of joining this group of members who have been really helpful in my learning and search for the right car. I knew last spring that this car was the most perfect one to buy and figured it would be sold before I could buy it.

I was planning on a 09' DB9 with less than 10k miles and black on black. I then would have to bring it up to date for several thousand and NOT have a manual transmission either.

I ended up with a perfectly sorted out 05 6-speed DB9 in black on black. Here is what I found interesting. NOT many 05's came with contrast stitching, it was a rare option only found on ordered cars. Most were dealer ordered and had same color stitching. My build sheet even calls for same color. But this one has the thick silver stitching you find typically only on later models. So that is a huge plus. Then the whole fact its a 05 manual, makes it pretty rare car so should be a good investment.

the Car--
DB9-w/ updated clear lights and LED side markers
2 sets of wheels w/ installed PSS and 2010 Vantage S 10 Spoke Diamond wheels
DBS Shifter
Glass buttons and dials
29k miles
Jet Black on Black w/ thick silver stitching
950w Linn but happy at least its the 950 one
Mahogany wood, but changing to Piano Black that comes with it

replaced all shocks with 09 Bilstein's, and springs from 09 MY
all coil packs replaced
all maintenance up to date with flushes in the past year
Never had an issue other than a little niggle here or there
2 Owner with both owning for 4-5 years
Well taken care of with all keys books and trunk items

I couldn't have found a better vehicle and a better person to deal with. Through this past month, Telum01 and Speedracer800 have been in contact with me daily going over our plan. Many logistical processes to work out and we only have 3 months to do it. Plus I have to keep funding all this.

Hope everyone enjoys this thread as much as I will

Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
congrats, 6sp DB9s are quite the rarity.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
Smile

Subscribed

Old 09-08-2016, 03:19 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by randyb
What is that under the front bumber?
It's a multi plug extention cord. I've got the battery tender plugged into it.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Here's another interesting tidbit about the car that I haven't even told Sheriff(Andrew) about yet.

The car was originally owned by TV Judge, Greg Mathis. I was told this by the Ferrari dealer in Chicago I bought the DB9 from and a friend of mine actually confirmed it with Judge Mathis at a taping of the show in Chicago..

I guess you could say it was "celebrity owned"??

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Judge, Sheriff is there a secret gun compartment and badge in the build?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
This is pretty cool!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've been insanely busy lately but I'll do my best to keep this thread current!

Originally Posted by sdekoning
Congrats Andrew, great project Rich! I'm definitely going to closely follow this thread.
Your Garmin retrofit is on the list. I was really hesitant to do it but Andrew convinced me to dive into it. I've ordered everything I think I need for it, and I'll be doing the retrofit to my car to test it out and get things just right. Once I have everything how I want it, I'll be doing the same to Andrew's. Should be a fun project!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
I've been insanely busy lately but I'll do my best to keep this thread current!

Your Garmin retrofit is on the list. I was really hesitant to do it but Andrew convinced me to dive into it. I've ordered everything I think I need for it, and I'll be doing the retrofit to my car to test it out and get things just right. Once I have everything how I want it, I'll be doing the same to Andrew's. Should be a fun project!
Great, let me know if you need any further guidance. I'm currently producing a new full bezel/cover to replace the mended OEM-with-felt-extension. Not 3D printing but silicon-molding it.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:03 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Great, let me know if you need any further guidance. I'm currently producing a new full bezel/cover to replace the mended OEM-with-felt-extension. Not 3D printing but silicon-molding it.
One big reason why I wanted a 08' or newer was Bluetooth phone. Not that driving it a lot would matter, just the convenience of it. I tend to do my phone usage when I drive. Leaves time for other things when I am not.

This application of the Garmin 60LMT thoroughly covers what is warranted. A fully functional with good graphics GPS which will look just like the factory emplacement, Bluetooth phone capability, and lifetime maps and traffic. PLUS..... this allows for wireless front and rear cameras to be installed. Seems to solve most of the little issues an older DB9 has. So, I am all in for this.

TELUM01 will be adding in 2x very special treats to these GPS units. I will let him divulge that when appropriate. As I am leaving most of the mods he is doing to my car up to him for when to show in this thread and present the DIY potion.

I am excited just paid the Insurance bill for the year----$1324 Hagerty's. Seemed fair price, I have used Nationwide for almost 30 years so why not continue in case something happens.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:03 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Keep me in the loop on this! I was looking at 3D printers lol

Old 09-10-2016, 07:44 AM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Tally ho!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Hi Guys!

Great Project tread. I like the Idea of adding the Garmin and wireless camera... I'm gearing up to accomplish a piano black upgrade including retrofitting metal gears and brackets for the navigation display and glass switches. So far I have acquired the NAV surround panel and the Center Stack... Perhaps I should hold off until I see what develops here?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	center stack.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	458564  
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Here's another interesting tidbit about the car that I haven't even told Sheriff(Andrew) about yet.

The car was originally owned by TV Judge, Greg Mathis. I was told this by the Ferrari dealer in Chicago I bought the DB9 from and a friend of mine actually confirmed it with Judge Mathis at a taping of the show in Chicago..

I guess you could say it was "celebrity owned"??
An 05 DB9 Automanual previously owned by Kiefer Sutherland was recently listed for sale on Autotrader.com

Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by drivergmx
An 05 DB9 Automanual previously owned by Kiefer Sutherland was recently listed for sale on Autotrader.com
I noticed that one when doing some searching last month. The guy selling it is counting on that to bring him the, I think 70k or more for the car. Priced way to high and I think it had 40k miles or a little less. Cant remember but yes would be cool to say that you had "Jack Bauer's" car, but only for the small novelty of it. Wouldn't likely impress anyone. However, I do like those pictures, likely says he really did own that one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Special Kind of Homecoming