Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

A Special Kind of Homecoming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Are there any pictures of one in Black with the Yellow. TELUM01 likes the AMG burnt copper I think the best, and its a subtle but standout color that should look impressive on a DB9. However, I see yellow fro time to time---member has a V12 V in a grey color with the yellow calipers and I think that looks so good. But Mine is black, so not sure. Has to be done right the first time.

The copper / burnt orange is growing on me ever since you mentioned it. A couple pictures I found.. Name:  T2uGNAXqVaXXXXXXXX-75301627.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  501.5 KB

Name:  attachment_0aa524fa7f1a94d05388feb765fd55cfab79a9a2.jpg
Views: 3058
Size:  77.7 KB

Old 09-24-2016, 08:31 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by drivergmx
Yes when the driver was putting the 9 in an enclosed Carrier and preparing it for shipping to Cali I felt numb. It wasn't just the two years I had invested in it, it was not knowing where it would end up. I felt responsible for it somehow. Seemed as though I should be interviewing prospective buyers in order to assure it's preservation. I've moved a lot of metal in my time but this one was truly special to me. Each DB9 is in itself a piece of Artwork developed using Fibonacci's Golden Ratio (Golden Section, Golden Mean). Beautiful to view from every angle. And it wasn't just me, every time I took it out people were drawn to it and the cameras would come out. Motorists would follow it and video it like Paparazzi.

Although I'll never regret trading up to the DBS, I do wish I had offered it up here to the community first like you did. At least you will find solace in knowing it will receive the best of care and added value going forward.

Salute!
I couldn't agree more.. Awesome pictures BTW! Looks amazing.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:03 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
it's gona look very nice with a black car. Nice choice there Rich

Old 09-24-2016, 09:04 AM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
"Has to be done right the first time."

What paint system will you be using to change the caliper color?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bluecab
"Has to be done right the first time."

What paint system will you be using to change the caliper color?
For the Mercedes E63 AMGs that I owned I used PPG mix based off paint code Honda Fresh Copper then added a few drops of black, green and brown in the mix. Normal automotive clear coat sprayed really well. Then I used 22PLE glass coating on top. The stickers were put on top of the fresh copper paint, then the vinyl stickers then the clear coat on top of them. Examples of that I did below. Mercedes AMG does NOT allow their caliper paint code out to the public. The AMG forums we fought to the inside to get it, but couldn't. So we started to mix it up and move on from there. No issues with heat, even though many said it needed high temp paint.

Pics below of the AMG caliper painting I did that I love with a black or silver car. @TELUM01 will explain what or how he plans on doing my Astons calipers the same color. I know powder coating them is on the books.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:43 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sheriffdep
are there any pictures of one in black with the yellow. Telum01 likes the amg burnt copper i think the best, and its a subtle but standout color that should look impressive on a db9. However, i see yellow fro time to time---member has a v12 v in a grey color with the yellow calipers and i think that looks so good. But mine is black, so not sure. Has to be done right the first time.
Name:  DBS ultimate.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  DBS ultimate1.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  DBS Ultimate3.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  107.1 KB

Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 AM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
I have no experience with painting calipers, but would these calipers with non-high heat paint stand up to track day temps or are they only for gently driven street cars?
Will powder coating work without melting?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:12 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What about metallic burnt orange calipers? As sheriff that orange could be a possibility.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bluecab
I have no experience with painting calipers, but would these calipers with non-high heat paint stand up to track day temps or are they only for gently driven street cars?
Will powder coating work without melting?
Powder Coating them should have no effect due to heat. However regular automotive paint and clear might have an issue with Track Days due to the much increased temps the calipers build up. TELUM01 will possibly be able to answer this much better than I can. All I know is a bunch of people warned that automotive paint would not be good due to street temps. However numerous members did use it and have had no issues. Mine as far as I know lasted me over a year with no issues and they looked the same as when I applied them.

22ple makes a wheel and trim glass coating that is supposed to be for high temps. This possible on top of normal paint would increase the longevity of the paint.

Just my thoughts. TELUM01 is arranging mine this go around, so letting him make the decisions. I am happy with whatever the result is.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
What about metallic burnt orange calipers? As sheriff that orange could be a possibility.
Is this what you mean? I do like this color also.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Exactly sir! I was trying to find a good picture of one. There was a forum member in here that had a Vantage V12s and had done the calipers in that color. Car was white though. Plastique999 . Is the UN I think.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Exactly sir! I was trying to find a good picture of one. There was a forum member in here that had a Vantage V12s and had done the calipers in that color. Car was white though. Plastique999 . Is the UN I think.
I like the burnt copper or orange in metallic. When SpeedRacer800 posts some pics of the car with the new wheels, then maybe someone can do a redering with these colors and hopefully we can make a decision. Paint codes would help this process, but not sure how its color matched with powder coating.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Powder Coating them should have no effect due to heat. However regular automotive paint and clear might have an issue with Track Days due to the much increased temps the calipers build up. TELUM01 will possibly be able to answer this much better than I can. All I know is a bunch of people warned that automotive paint would not be good due to street temps. However numerous members did use it and have had no issues. Mine as far as I know lasted me over a year with no issues and they looked the same as when I applied them.

22ple makes a wheel and trim glass coating that is supposed to be for high temps. This possible on top of normal paint would increase the longevity of the paint.

Just my thoughts. TELUM01 is arranging mine this go around, so letting him make the decisions. I am happy with whatever the result is.

Well I better correct my own post. I didn't know the specifics of power coating, just thought that was the "professional way" to re-paint calipers. The below link states otherwise. So I might be wrong. I haven't fact checked the thread below, but appears logical to why powder coating is not good. Thread says Brembo (who makes our calipers I am pretty sure) states that powder coating them is bad. IT helps to retain the heat, rather than dissipate. ALso, stated is above 250 degres the powder coating will start melting. Not sure of that, but the rest makes sense. They say stripping the caliper by sandblasting, then scoring to allow the paint and primer stick. Then paint then with high heat automotive paint and clear with stickers under the clear and you will be as close to factory as possible. Factories do not specify what paint they use, it is proprietary. But, there are enough done be professional shops to go with their guidance I believe. Track cars of course are much more succeptable to issues due to heat, than the every third week driving ours get. Hope this helps, TELUM01 will likely give a DIY and process information when that time comes for mine, and will explain why he chose to use the process he does.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...se-needed.html

Old 09-25-2016, 04:57 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Went on a rally to the Back of the Dragon. It's like the Tail of the Dragon, but without all tourists A few pics...

...and now back on topic lol. Gotta catch up on everything I've missed the last couple days.

I personally like the AMG caliper color. It's a great combination of classy and sporty, and is something of a unifying theme between your cars. The burnt orange color is pretty interesting and really unique, too. Style is subjective, though, and I'd wait until you see the car with the new wheels on it before you make your decision.

I looked into powder coating the calipers and paint is probably the best way to do it. It's really a matter of paint quality and how well the calipers are prepped. A clear coat that can handle high temps is also really important. If the clear coat can't handle it, it'll flake off.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Well she just got some new shoes put on and WOW what a transformation that made. Sucks to not be able to see it in person, but Speedracer800 was kind and sent me pictures to drool over. I am happy with that for now. Here is what they look like, and looks like maybe due to the offsets of these AM wheels, it wont need spacers.

Just waiting for this to be installed, then she gets moved from the north to VA for the rest of the work TELUM01 will be doing.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 10-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Special Kind of Homecoming