Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Intermittent starting problem

After a great summer of trouble free driving (almost 3000 Miles) I have experienced repeated problems starting my 2009 MT vantage. Vey frequently when inserting the key fob into the docking station (clutch depressed) I either have no lights on the dash or lights but not the telltale red light indicator that allows the engine start. Depressing the clutch and pushing in the key all the way in with one stroke does not help. This evening, it took about 10 attempts before the car started. I used both keys with the same effect. (Both keys have had new batteries installed in the past 2 months).

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is so, what was the solution?

Jagman70
2009 Vantage MT

Old 09-21-2016, 07:58 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
My first thought is the clutch pedal switch

Old 09-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Interesting because on a couple of occasions I have had a similar problem with no red light on the engine start button on my 07 manual vantage and I think it is probably an over sensitive clutch pedal switch

Graze

Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
My problem was how I put the key in, XRJS_Owner told me how to do it properly and never had a problem since. It might be worth the try;

Key in to first position (still stick out about 1/2" to 1")
use the flate of your finger to push the key flush to position 2
let it do it Power Beauty Soul and self test
push the clutch in (Red Light) and push the key and hold it until it is started then release

it is the flush part that mess thing up usually but then again it could be something else for you guys.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 AM
After reading earlier helpful posts here, I have been starting the car by depressing the clutch pedal and then fully pushing the key fob in with two fingers. That procedure has worked fine. Also, FWIW, I replaced both key fob batteries a couple of months ago. The car battery is 2 years old. When it starts, it turns over robustly. In the last week, starting has become intermittent. It has happened with both key fobs.

Scenario 1: I HAVE DASH LIGHTS when I insert the key with or without the clutch pedal being depressed but get no "red" light and no start when I do depress the clutch pedal.

Scenario 2: After inserting either key fob in position 1 or fully depressed, I have NO DASH LIGHTS - no "red" light - and no start with or without the clutch pedal depressed. Also I don't hear the usual under dash noises associated with starting the car.

Given that sometimes I have no dash lights when I insert the key fob, would that not rule out the clutch switch and suggest it is more likely a problem with the key fob docking station not always 'reading' the key?

And, of course, it started multiple times (10-15) this morning without a hitch.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jagman70
After reading earlier helpful posts here, I have been starting the car by depressing the clutch pedal and then fully pushing the key fob in with two fingers. That procedure has worked fine. Also, FWIW, I replaced both key fob batteries a couple of months ago. The car battery is 2 years old. When it starts, it turns over robustly. In the last week, starting has become intermittent. It has happened with both key fobs.

Scenario 1: I HAVE DASH LIGHTS when I insert the key with or without the clutch pedal being depressed but get no "red" light and no start when I do depress the clutch pedal.

Scenario 2: After inserting either key fob in position 1 or fully depressed, I have NO DASH LIGHTS - no "red" light - and no start with or without the clutch pedal depressed. Also I don't hear the usual under dash noises associated with starting the car.

Given that sometimes I have no dash lights when I insert the key fob, would that not rule out the clutch switch and suggest it is more likely a problem with the key fob docking station not always 'reading' the key?

And, of course, it started multiple times (10-15) this morning without a hitch.

Any thoughts?
With an concern like this on a 09+, sounds like you have an issue with the docking station. The key positions would need to be diagnosed for power output.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Do you mean a diagnosis of the individual keys or the docking station itself because I have had the problem with both keys?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jagman70
Do you mean a diagnosis of the individual keys or the docking station itself because I have had the problem with both keys?
The docking station needs to be diagnosed is all key positions, I could put in a block of wood the same size as the remote and the lights should come on in the dash, just it won't start and the alarm led light will blink.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
So this could be a problem with any '09+ car regardless of the transmission? Had to use two different keys and try about seven times to get it started last night. After the drive it was shut down for ten minutes and it started right up. First thought was key fob batteries, now I'm not sure. I have no idea how old the fob batteries are. Also another
thing is that the car was on the trickle
charger for about 30 days.

Regards,

Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by W126C
So this could be a problem with any '09+ car regardless of the transmission? Had to use two different keys and try about seven times to get it started last night. After the drive it was shut down for ten minutes and it started right up. First thought was key fob batteries, now I'm not sure. I have no idea how old the fob batteries are. Also another
thing is that the car was on the trickle
charger for about 30 days.

Regards,
Yes, all the same function for 09+ docking station ignition switches, regardless of model and transmssion. It's not a common concern but I have replaced a few in my days, though like I mentioned it needs to be diagnosed because a short in the wiring can cause the same concern. It's also not a cheap part so its always good to be 110% certain before replacing because electrical parts are final sale.