Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Hello Everybody!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 PM
BUGABOO66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Everybody!

I am a sports car fan who is looking for my next car. I have previously owned a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and a 2005 Porsche Boxster S.

I have decided on a 2007 or 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster for my next car. I am leaning towards a standard stick shift since I prefer shifting my own gears in a sports car. However, this limits my selection greatly so I am looking for input from users who are used to old-fashioned three pedal stick shifts. Does the SpeedShift paddle shifting give the same feeling as rowing the gears?

Also, I would appreciate any feedback on how Vantage owners feel about their cars!

Jeff

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-23-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:33 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BUGABOO66
Does the SpeedShift paddle shifting give the same feeling as rowing the gears?

Also, I would appreciate any feedback on how Vantage owners feel about their cars!

Jeff

I have yet to find a car that gives me the same feeling as when shifting my own gears.

Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I don't believe the sport shift gives the same feeling as a 3 pedal manual gearbox. I suggest you drive a sport shift before making that decision .

Old 09-23-2016, 04:05 PM
AM SpeedShift

Originally Posted by terminal_ac
I have yet to find a car that gives me the same feeling as when shifting my own gears.

That's kinda what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
On Earlier Vantages, manual is almost a must. Early SS can be good but you would need a good TCU tune. SS3 is definitely much better than the older automated but it can still give you vertigo sometimes if you catch it off guard

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by terminal_ac

What he said. I had a 2007 stick Vantage, and now I own a 2016 GT with a stick both great cars. This is a big purchase, take your time and find the best car that you can afford. It is not a good deal unless you love the color combo and the options the car has on it and the condition it's in.
Ron

Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had both, early vantages have a heavy clutch... Much prefer the sportshift, in fact demanded it on my GT. When driven manually the sportshift provides a great involvement experience... If driven automatically it's pretty bad

Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer the SSM in my Vanquish to the manual in my DBS. The shift quality of manual Astons is not great and takes some of the fun out of rowing gears. SSM is plenty involving and easy to master if you're used to driving a manual.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
The clutch on my 2016 is much lighter than my 2007. The 2007 clutch was not overly heavy in my opinion, just not economy car light.
Ron

Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I've driven both the SSII and own a manual. Plus I owned an M5 with the SMG which is kind of similar to the SS. If I was a track rat I would see the advantage of an automated clutch but then I would only want a dual clutch not a first gen single clutch which is what the SS is.

I couldn't live with the SS transmission. The manual gearbox is really nice in my opinion. Like the rest of the car it's very analog and provides very good feedback. I would not own the car if I could only have the SS.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Manual or SS

Originally Posted by Ron Avery
What he said. I had a 2007 stick Vantage, and now I own a 2016 GT with a stick both great cars. This is a big purchase, take your time and find the best car that you can afford. It is not a good deal unless you love the color combo and the options the car has on it and the condition it's in.
Ron
Thanks for the response, Ron. Lots of good advice in just a couple of sentences!

Jeff

Old 09-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Heavy clutch?

Originally Posted by Ron Avery
The clutch on my 2016 is much lighter than my 2007. The 2007 clutch was not overly heavy in my opinion, just not economy car light.
Ron
Thanks for the follow-up on this Ron. I previously had a 2005 Boxster S and thought that clutch was just fine. I'm assuming that based on the comments that the AM might be a bit heavier than the Porsche's. When I think of a heavy clutch I think of a '67 Firebird.

Jeff

Old 09-25-2016, 05:54 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
if you're getting a car before '09 then def go for manual, my $0.02 anyway.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks, that seems to be the general consensus. That makes me feel good since that was my original plan.