Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stuff I am working on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 AM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
I read your thread with great interest. It is awesome how you transformed the car into a gt4 like spec. Would you recommend to change to KW coilovers for occasional trackdays? Do you miss an adjustable strut bearing when changing the setup at the track?

Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMR248
I read your thread with great interest. It is awesome how you transformed the car into a gt4 like spec. Would you recommend to change to KW coilovers for occasional trackdays? Do you miss an adjustable strut bearing when changing the setup at the track?
We have set a LOT of owners up with the Nitron R1 setup. It's a great street/track combination.

I believe the OP is using it as well.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-20-2018, 02:06 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We have set a LOT of owners up with the Nitron R1 setup. It's a great street/track combination.

I believe the OP is using it as well.
I am using KW. I would like to have been able to compare the KW to the Nitron.

PROS

The KW are easy to use.
You can get a nice street ride.

CONS

I question the composite collar over the long term since we change ride height for track and street. Make sure you clean the threads before moving the collars. We blow them out with WD40.

I question the spring rate for the track. I wish they made a club sport version.

I tend to run stuff stiff so my thoughts are very subjective.

chr

Old 04-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Old 04-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Thank you both for the quick reply. The problem i am going to face when installing nitron R1 on my car is german MOT or "TÜV", because the R1 Kit is not provided with an appropriate certificate. Otherwise i would also take your progressive springs into account, Stuart. Therefore i think of going with the KW V3 coilovers unless you say that the track performance is not superior to the standard Dynamics suspension.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 PM
I did not mean to imply that at all. I would have no interest in tracking a Vantage with the stock suspension, especially an 06.

The V3 is miles beyond that. You will have individual dampening control in both bump and rebound. I just seems to me they have the dampers doing a lot of the work instead of a stiffer spring.

I believe KW meet your Gov requirements.

chr

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 AM
In full disclosure I did not have control of rebound dampening the day we tracked the car. We were maxed bump and rebound on the rear and max bump on the front. Will run again in September with full adjustability.

chr

Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Rebound dampening was not adjustable because the adjusting screw was not accessible at the rear, right? Again thank you for the much needed information on the KW coilovers and their performance!

Old 04-22-2018, 02:23 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
I don't know the KW V3 on the Vantage, but have very good experience with a KW V3 on my BMW trackcar.
No problems with the composite adjusters, I use a soft copper brush to clean dirt from the treads before adjustments.
The low-speed-bump adjustment is extremely effective to adjust the cars initial response, and it allows to use softer springs/bars while still have good roll control, however the comfort (aks high-speed-bump still allows comfort). It really pays off to play with it on track. Also, KW can change/readjust the damper-line to your request.

Thomas

Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 PM
We had no trouble at all adjusting the rears it was quite easy. Pay attention when installing and make sure the adjusters are facing the same direction, this will simplify adjustment at the track. We would have had no problem adjusting rebound at the front except I left the key at the shop. Adjusting the bump really transformed the cars response and we were maxed on bump on all 4 corners. We arrived at the track with them set as delivered from KW which IIRC is right at the middle. That was far too soft for track work. I just kept cranking them up and we were really running at the end of the day. I just question having to run them maxed for track work.

chr

Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM
It has been beautful weather here and my truck is in the shop so I have been driving the Vantage. Been playing blues for a long time now I took it to a jam last night. The BandMaster fit perfectly.

Aston Vantage - 50K
Gibson R8 - 3500
59 5E7 Clone - 3500

Playing blues in a Southeast Portland dive - Priceless

chr

Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
I guess you were wearing black sunglasses while driving your Bluesmobile?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Certainly -

chr

Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Wanted to share my CEL situation. I was not able to get it corrected with a plastic replacement cap. I went back and spent some time studying the codes and every time it was the DMTL pump so I got it in my mind I would take it to Park Place for diagnosis. The day before we were to leave I loaded it into the trailer for tow to Seattle. After I got the thing secured in the trailer I remembered some threads here about dealerships re-flashing to the stock tunes for diagnostic work. I called Doug at Park Place and he confirmed they would want the stock tune. The next morning I unloaded the car, flashed the stock tune, and re-installed the stock gas cap. Well that was not so great because that cleared the codes. I called Doug and canceled the appointment to give me time to drive the car to get the CEL to re-trigger. For the next week or so I drove the car around during the day, but got nowhere. Friday I drove the car on 150 mile round trip jaunt up the Columbia Gorge and back . This included two 1/2 hour business stops and varied speed with a couple of runs reaching 100. It sat in the rain over night and I took it to breakfast this morning and still no light. I am hoping by writing this karma will jump in and re-trigger the light. On the other hand, is it possible re-flashing deleted errant data from running at the track? I've put several hundred miles on it since the re-flash - I gotta say, this car is addicting.

chr

Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Got to thinking about the "other hand" and decided I should try DEQ.

Drove it straight back to the shop and re-flashed VAP.

Side note = simply amazed how much the exhaust frees up the engine response. With the stock tune I was still able to heel and toe with no problem.

chr

Last edited by era2076; 06-12-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: "WITH" the stock tune

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuff I am working on