Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Post Finished up the Show 'n Go license plate install...

I got around to finishing the wiring and troubleshooting an issue that just turned out to be a weak ground.
Here are some pics showing where I ran the wiring loom, where the module was installed with two way tape and where the power and ground connections were made. No holes were made and just a few Ty-Raps to secure the wiring loom:

Here's a close up of positive and negative connections:

Module just fits in this spot on the frame away from heat:

With radiator cover removed loom runs along fender and along top front of rad:

Once connections made at motor (white stripe wire to + terminal) install rubber weather guard with drain hole facing ground:

Test your work with both key fobs from inside and outside the car - once satisfied it's operating properly, reinstall radiator cover:

I'll post a short video of it in operation as well...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
Now the the car is presentable and the weather has improved

Lots of people asking if it's new which reassures me that it's looking good
Look at you showing her off now. She's the prettiest girl at the ball

Niagara weather would have welcome today, and it wasn't even THAT hot. But it's the hottest day in mine so far, and it baked for 4 hours at Enterprise while I rented a van. Dang that aluminum strip on the console gets hot!

Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Ryan, you did a fantastic job resurrecting a car that was left unattended for way too long. Congrats and have an awesome summer.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
great to see you out at a cruise night,car looks ace. there is a cruise night in hamilton at pier 4 every wednesday called (rockin the waterfront), august 9th would be a day to check your calendar,this is for cars from across the pond. last year i was the only Aston there,its quite a big show,nice setting when weather co-operates..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Thumbs up Thanks gents...

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Look at you showing her off now. She's the prettiest girl at the ball
Yeah, I've had years of attending shows while the project car was at home in progress. Now I can just tinker in between showing it off which I'm really looking forward too. I guess every decade our priorities change as we age...

Originally Posted by handyman2009
Ryan, you did a fantastic job resurrecting a car that was left unattended for way too long. Congrats and have an awesome summer.
Thanks! I've got more updates coming but at a slower pace of course.
Starting July this year I have a manager at work reporting to me that lives in Kanata, so I might be up that way a few times this summer. Also look me up if you visit Niagara's wine country...

Originally Posted by cadman
great to see you out at a cruise night,car looks ace. there is a cruise night in hamilton at pier 4 every wednesday called (rockin the waterfront), august 9th would be a day to check your calendar,this is for cars from across the pond. last year i was the only Aston there,its quite a big show,nice setting when weather co-operates..
Thanks Cadman, yes it's a nice spot so I put in my calendar. My brother with his 911 and I will likely go to Van Wagners beach on a Monday evening, Tuesdays would be downtown Niagara Falls or Gateway Niagara (QEW and Casablanca) and Friday's Seaway Mall in Welland are all cruises I drop by depending on my schedule.

Also, I'll give you a heads up when the wife and I go to Port Dover for Lake Erie Perch dinner (we usually do every summer).

Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure you PM me if you are coming this way, I can show you my little beast.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Make sure you PM me if you are coming this way, I can show you my little beast.
Maybe we can make it a trio of Astons with some fine ales .

Old 06-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Sounds good, will send PM's guys...

I have an update on the cosmetic bodywork progress.
First I wanted to look at and address the curb rash I caused on the passenger side of the bumper cover. The good news is the clear film took the majority of the damage so I sliced and peeled off the affected area. Next I used touch up paint on the effected spot plus some other spots along the lower edge that were there previously. I will be polishing the area and replacing the removed film likely next week. Here are progress pics:

Cut rectangle with razor blade and peeled up lower corner to access paint for touch up:

Area needing touch up once damaged area of film removed:

I tried some clear tape but it was more noticeable than leaving it off until I get the proper film:

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Lightbulb Driver side fender

I moved over to the previously damage fender lip. First I removed the black vinyl covering the damaged area. Next sliced off the clear film that overlapped the damaged spots on the face of the fender flare. My goal here was to removed the cracked and damaged paint to expose the raw fiberglass. I wanted to see if the fiberglass itself was broken or cracked first. Based on those findings I would decide whether to replace or replace the fiberglass fender.

Tools for the jobs:

The worst of the damage marks uncovered:

Carefully removing the clear coat, base coat and primer:

Good news, fiberglass structure intact and crack free - therefore I feel it can be repaired and repainted with low risk of future issues:

Both spots are ready for repair which will be done at a local body shop I've used several times with good results and therefore chose them to do the repainting.

For the moment I covered the spots with vinyl wrap to protect from the elements and minimize how noticeable it is cosmetically:

More updates to follow this weekend

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Have a check of yor brake disks, they look odd to me. All Vantages I know have grooved disks made by Brembo. Either your grooves are alredy used up or these are some aftermarket disks.
Never the less if it works don't fix it.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GDay2
Have a check of yor brake disks, they look odd to me. All Vantages I know have grooved disks made by Brembo. Either your grooves are alredy used up or these are some aftermarket disks.
Never the less if it works don't fix it.
Yes very observant, thanks for noticing. The grooves are almost worn away as the previous owner changed front pads but not rotors. Since they are working well and are quiet, they weren't a top priority to change just yet. However I did buy replacement rotors from Velocity AP and pads from Redpants. I will install those after the front pads wear a little more...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Hey great that you already have replacement parts, you are a genius.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Post Time for bodywork...

I chose UMC (United Motor Collision) to due the paintwork on the Vantage. They have done repair paint work on previous vehicles for me at reasonable prices since it's a "customer pay" and not an insurance claim. Nowadays it's part of the Fix Auto franchise and the next generation is managing the operation:

When attempting to remove the front fender, it became apparent that the side skirt rocker cover needs to be removed as well. Since it'll be off the car, it will get some TLC as well:

I see that the skirt had been previously repaired poorly in my opinion. This makes sense at the only insurance claim on the car's history according to Carfax was a minor issue on the left side of car way back in August 2008. A shop in St. Catharines, Ontario did the repair as the car had already been imported to Canada a few months earlier:

Here is the leading edge where the skirt meeting the front wheelwell, you can see a almost decade old plastic repair failing:

In my opinion the repair this time is done better than originally. I'm sure it will last as long I want to keep the original stock rocker skirts on the car:

I'm glad I decided to do things properly and have the panels repainted off the car and it really doesn't take that much extra time. Plus you have the added bonus of working on the panels in comfort on stands. One nice thing is the fender can be removed without removing the headlights or entire wheel well liner again:

Repair progress on the fender lip is coming along nicely too:

Next update should have the panels in primer...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 04-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Sweet, great job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Niagara, Ontario, Canada